Do Dress Codes Bother You?

I think dress codes are dumb, but private businesses and clubs can do what they want with respect to them. If I had a problem with a certain courses rules I just would not play there.

So going to the range today reminded me of this thread - they were holding a junior tournament (hs) and boys and girls were well dressed. :) Regular guys on the range and many women were dressed traditionally.:) But the least-worst dressed today were women! :confused: Noticed more women wearing gym shorts and t-shirts today and looking like they ran out of the house to the range. :oops:

:unsure:
This reminds me of being a youth golfer. The country club in town had an annual jr. tournament. I'm not certain if they had requirements, but I showed up in cutoffs and a baseball t-shirt (that is all I had). No one said anything. When I played in the state jr. I had to borrow a shirt from my brother and dad.

I think dress codes are dumb, but private businesses and clubs can do what they want with respect to them. If I had a problem with a certain courses rules I just would not play there.
why are they 'dumb'?

I think they keep people from taking up the game, a little.
There are plenty of golf courses that have very relaxed dress codes. Would the people who don't want to wear a collared shirt not just play there?

There are plenty of golf courses that have very relaxed dress codes. Would the people who don't want to wear a collared shirt not just play there?

I think I addressed this in my original post. I just think its an outdated remnant of the past whose standards are constantly changing (golf hoodies have been brought up).

I'm a traditionalist in a few aspects of golf (dress code, taking the pin out, etc), but not totally traditionalist. I don't think the "prevention" argument works here. I know not everyone wears collared shirts and khaki shorts all the time so they may not have a lot of that style of clothing. However, just like not everyone has golf balls, hats, clubs, bags, etc. I feel if you're going to get into the game, you should factor in investment of proper clothing on the course. No different than if you play basketball you'll need basketball shoes not sandals. If you play soccer, you'll need cleats and shin guards. It's just part of the deal in golf. I just don't dig seeing people in jean shorts and wife-beaters out on the course. If that makes me snobby, which it sure sounds that way, then fine.

One of our private clubs in KC has a rule where you have to wear white socks that go above the ankles. I NEVER wear white socks and rarely wear a sock that goes above my ankle. I keep a couple of pairs just in case I go out there and have to abide by their rules. I think it's weird but it would never bother or upset me. It's their deal. Just like how some people like you to take your shoes off before entering their house.

I think they keep people from taking up the game, a little.

I'm curious how this is quantified? Do you know people that havent taken up the game because of dress codes?
Don't most sports have dress codes?

I dont mind dress codes. Those that dont want to play with dress codes have options. There are plenty of muni courses out there that are very lax.

I'm curious how this is quantified? Do you know people that havent taken up the game because of dress codes?
Don't most sports have dress codes?

An inspiring golfer, one who may or may not be able to afford what some might consider "proper attire", shows up at a course and it told they cannot play or even practice in the clothes they have on. If you think that wouldn't leave a bad taste in someones mouth, towards they game and those that play then you haven't been paying attention to how sensitive people have become.

Personally, I was oblivious to what people said about how I dressed, on the course, as a youth. Knowing what I know now about people if I'd been aware what they were saying about it I would have stopped playing the game. Thankfully, although we were flat busted, they were only passive aggressive about it so I kept playing and today I can afford to dress smartly and respect private businesses that have a dress code.

I grew up in a town with one course.

An inspiring golfer, one who may or may not be able to afford what some might consider "proper attire", shows up at a course and it told they cannot play or even practice in the clothes they have on. If you think that wouldn't leave a bad taste in someones mouth, towards they game and those that play then you haven't been paying attention to how sensitive people have become.

That is my question. :)
Do you know people this has happened to? Don't most sports have a dress code for facility play?

I think that gold lame ought to be mandated.

3a37fc6b58dfc16c39d69df3c5531e65.jpg

That is my question. :)
Do you know people this has happened to? Don't most sports have a dress code for facility play?

Obviously, its not an issue for those here and most folks eventually conform, and are generally pleased to be able to do so once they find they enjoy the game. The original post seemed to be asking for an opinion not proof that dress codes reduce participation. I shared my opinion and have entertained questions on why I have them. :) Its not a factor on where I play, although I enjoy a more laid back feel.

Having read through some of these comments its mind boggling to me. Every city or state has local muni's where dress codes are non existant. I've been on some of these courses where people are playing with no shirt on, cigarette hanging from the mouth and a beer in one hand. To each their own. If you don't want to play at a course with a dress code then don't, find your local muni and go have some fun. Not every course should be the same whether is private or public.

Having read through some of these comments its mind boggling to me. Every city or state has local muni's where dress codes are non existant. I've been on some of these courses where people are playing with no shirt on, cigarette hanging from the mouth and a beer in one hand. To each their own. If you don't want to play at a course with a dress code then don't, find your local muni and go have some fun. Not every course should be the same whether is private or public.
One of my most fun rounds was playing as a 5 some at Lions Municipal in Austin, with my brothers wearing tank tops and cut off jorts. I have also had very fun rounds at nice private courses that have dress codes. You're absolutely right in that if you like dress codes, there are courses for you. And if you don't care for them, there are courses for you too!

Personally, I was oblivious to what people said about how I dressed, on the course, as a youth. Knowing what I know now about people if I'd been aware what they were saying about it I would have stopped playing the game. Thankfully, although we were flat busted, they were only passive aggressive about it so I kept playing and today I can afford to dress smartly and respect private businesses that have a dress code.

I grew up in a town with one course.
If I were to go out to a fancy restaurant and get refused service because I was wearing gym shorts and a tshirt, would I get a bad taste in my mouth regarding all restaurants, or food in general?

To your second point, I'm not going to defend a-hole people. They exist everywhere, some worse than others. I don't think it's a reflection on golf as a whole though. People who have an opinion about someone will have it whether they are wearing baggy pants, skinny pants, joggers, gym shorts, or etc. People suck sometimes.

I think I addressed this in my original post. I just think its an outdated remnant of the past whose standards are constantly changing (golf hoodies have been brought up).
I don't think a collared shirt is an outdated remnant of the past. I would agree that wearing a shirt and tie would be an outdated remnant of the past, but we're talking about tech materials that are often times better than wearing a cotton style tshirt. It absolutely fits the situation.

Asking someone to wear a collared shirt (which are cheap everywhere) isn't a big ask. It certainly doesn't need to be the baseline for all golf courses, as has been proven many times in this thread, but I fail to see how a course dictating what is appropriate course wear would ever be an issue.

Obviously, its not an issue for those here and most folks eventually conform, and are generally pleased to be able to do so once they find they enjoy the game. The original post seemed to be asking for an opinion not proof that dress codes reduce participation. I shared my opinion and have entertained questions on why I have them. :) Its not a factor on where I play, although I enjoy a more laid back feel.

I genuinely wasn't speaking to the people here, just general musings based on my travel and the data that is out there on growth. Asking honestly because I have not encountered too many that wouldn't play or take it up because of a dress code that exists at some courses. I figured maybe some have encountered large amounts of golfers that have left or didn't take it up.

It would be hard to find a facility sport to take up without some sort of dress code, but maybe that is why other activities are popular too.

Having to wear a shirt, whether it is a white tee or whatever, is a dress code. For those that think dress codes are 'dumb', should we allow shirtless people to have their way? How about just a pair of gym shorts, sandals, and no top? It is sooo simple to put on a decent pair of shorts and a golf shirt that it really isn't an issue.

Years ago I ran into some BS.

I was invited to play a local private course; the fellow inviting me even picked me up at my house. As I was standing on the first tee, the starter called my friend over and informed him that I wasn't going to be allowed on the course because my shirt didn't have a folded over collar, just a high crew. The shirt was brand new and had a three button lapel, a sports stripe around the middle of the shirt in olive and purple on a white shirt. My shorts and shoes were also brand new. I was absolutely dressed nicely and properly for golf as I knew I was playing a private course but they decided to enforce the strict language of the rule and I was forced to buy a shirt in their pro shop and change before teeing off.....and boy, was I teed off!

Now, if I had shown up with a full collared shirt that was dirty and wrinkled with coffee stains down the front, would I have been allowed out on the course? Of course not; it was ridiculous of him.

My buddy then scolded me and said why didn't you wear a collared shirt? I replied, you picked me up in my driveway, why didn't you notice when I stepped out of my house? He had nothing to say. He didn't notice because I was dressed quite appropriately for golf in brand new clothes. Nobody at the club was going to notice from an adjacent fairway that my shirt collar was crew and file a complaint. The intent of the rule was met.

....only the uptight starter dude noticed.

I belong to a private club now and that would never happen there. At most, you might get a hey, I know you're dressed well but next time would you please wear a full collar shirt just for compliance? Nowadays, I see all sorts of golf apparel with crew collars.

I am totally fine with a dress code. I think the attire should be appropriate to the level of course you are playing. I do feel shorts are ok and actually don't see any issues with hoodies as long as they are not sloppy.

I genuinely wasn't speaking to the people here, just general musings based on my travel and the data that is out there on growth. Asking honestly because I have not encountered too many that wouldn't play or take it up because of a dress code that exists at some courses. I figured maybe some have encountered large amounts of golfers that have left or didn't take it up.

It would be hard to find a facility sport to take up without some sort of dress code, but maybe that is why other activities are popular too.

I appreciate your experience with this. From what I have seen at the local those interested in the game quickly enjoy the attire as well and don't see it as a reason to not play. I guess I am thinking of all the people I have experienced, while working hard to save our local muni, who think all courses are the same and they all are full of stuffy, rich folks. You and I know that isn't true and its been my goal to convince them it isn't. So, I have that clouding(?) my thoughts. Plus they just kinda go against my general small town, aw shucks way of livin'. When I play somewhere else I have no problem adhering.

Yes, I know a few people that don't golf that have said the culture surrounding dress codes is the major reason. I'm not going to get into it here, but dress codes (in general, not just at golf courses) were created to exclude specific people and they're rarely enforced consistently.

Yes, I know a few people that don't golf and the culture surrounding dress codes is the major reason.

This is very interesting to me. If you don't mind, can I ask a few questions.
Do they play any other organized sports?
What part of the dress code keeps them away? Just a collared shirt?

This is very interesting to me. If you don't mind, can I ask a few questions.
Do they play any other organized sports?
What part of the dress code keeps them away? Just a collared shirt?

They all played organized sports when they were younger but now only one plays volleyball. They all own collared shirts so I don’t think that keeps them away haha.

It’s more the fact that they assume that the dress codes won’t be enforced equally and they’re around to keep people who look like them out.

Back