Do Dress Codes Bother You?

If it wasn’t for golf I would have been in sweatpants pretty much all of the last 12 months... I look forward to actually wearing something these days that requires a belt.

I’m fine with them except for the tucked in shirt rule. I’m a fat dude and we tend to look worse and sloppier with a tucked in shirt. Not to mention that’s it’s usually untucked by the third hole on its own
I am not fat, but a little extra you might say, and I have a hard time keeping the shirt tucked in. What would be nice is that shirts made to be untucked were acceptable. With that said, I don't have issues with dress codes and play at many private courses where rules are usually present.

Dress codes can be great but they can also be like HOAs.

I am not fat, but a little extra you might say, and I have a hard time keeping the shirt tucked in. What would be nice is that shirts made to be untucked were acceptable. With that said, I don't have issues with dress codes and play at many private courses where rules are usually present.
Kind of off topic, but I'm in a similar boat, and adidas golf shorts have changed my life. The logos around the inner waistband are almost like a rubber. It grips your shirt and holds it in place during the swing.

Happy to abide by dress codes. After watching professionals on tv, it is amusing to see the college kids wearing shorts. I can't imagine playing summer golf in the South in long pants. All for dress codes. My wife and I are starting to explore the reasonably priced clubs in the area and I have to say if a course had no dress code (I think at minimum "golf attire is a must with a ban on jeans, tank tops, etc perfectly justified) I might look elsewhere. Then again...I don't want to join any club that'll have me as a member!

If it wasn’t for golf I would have been in sweatpants pretty much all of the last 12 months... I look forward to actually wearing something these days that requires a belt.
The golf course is pretty much the only place I ever wear a collared shirt. I’m a very casual dresser everywhere else, but I don’t object to putting on a polo, a decent pair of shorts and a belt to play golf.

I don't mind dress codes. I think some take it to far tho. If they make me tuck my shirt in, not sure I'd ever go back.

In this case, the person knew what they were signing up for. Private club with a known dress code...
That’s the funniest part of the debate.

I really hate dress codes in any form. We should be free to wear what we want, no matter how stupid others think it looks. That being said, your course, your rules. And if I want to play there, I’ll follow the rules with no complaint.

They don't bother me, but I think it's a bit silly at times. Forcing someone to wear a polo shirt for a $20 municipal course to just go out and have fun is pretty ridiculous. I understand clubs and more prestigious courses, though even that is a bit over the top at times.
I'm curious, what is the difference? Why can't the muni (attempt to) foster the same atmosphere as the high end club?

Dress codes are fine for the course, but I think it is silly to have for the driving range. I stopped into a range on my way home from work one evening around 5 and was told “no”

I don't care about dress codes at all. I do agree with @blugold too. Don't act like I need to be dressed for the country club when I am playing the muni.

That’s the funniest part of the debate.
I agree - there’s a big difference when it’s a known code and some people obviously take it quite seriously.

I will always read the rules of any course I’m going to play so I know their expectations. I’m their guest after all.

My home course is a "private" 9 hole course that is $1500/year unlimited walking which is very cheap for the Philadelphia area. We have a collared shirt/no denim in season dress code but out of season it's a free for all.

Personally I like to "dress up" to play but I don't see why people have to adhere to it. They push a golf/pool membership which I love; I really like seeing families out there playing golf. Why make people wear certain clothing; I could care less what other people wear. Besides speedos I don't want to see that...

I wonder if the same type of conversations take place about restaurants and the need to “grow” their businesses. There are plenty of restaurants with dress codes, some of them a lot more restrictive than golf courses. Hell, even fast food places have dress codes, shoes and shirts required.

The way I see it, life is all about choices. If you don’t like the dress code at a golf course, don’t play that golf course. Either choose another course, or take up another sport. But don’t complain about it and expect them to bend to accommodate your desires, and don’t start whining about how you’re being “excluded”.

No. Not at 99% of the courses I play anyways.

Up scale tracks, I think dress codes are more important, but not so much for munis, and other public courses.

I dress appropriately when I play. Every piece of clothing I wear is acceptable. Not the same when I practice however.

What others wear is of no concern of mine.

Nah, not really. I’m a fancy boi at heart, and there are so many great options now for golf attire with performance material. Now, if the code said, “you may not wear your hat backwards,” then I wouldn’t be a big fan of it, haha.

I've been a part of an interesting debate on social this evening about dress codes and I am blown away by how many people are genuinely bothered by them. Some have gone so far as to say that dress codes (or at least adhering to them) are what's wrong with golf, and hinders growth.

Curious to know how you feel about it, and whether your course selection (to play or to belong) is impacted by their dress code policy.
I’m not tucking in my shirt for our epic confrontation.

I’ve never played a course that had a dress code. I’d have no problem following it if I did. I would object to a dress code (off the golf course) if it required me to wear a coat and tie.

Provided the dress code is adequately advertised and universally enforced then I’m cool with whatever. That said a complete goat track with a casual vibe....better be just that snd no dress code. Otherwise why play there?

I'm curious, what is the difference? Why can't the muni (attempt to) foster the same atmosphere as the high end club?
It just never made sense to me that you're forced to wear clothing that likely costs two or three times more than the activity itself. Golf is expensive enough as it is.

I absolutely support dress codes.......to an extent. Examples: no jeans, no cargo shorts, shirts must have a collar. Now on the other hand the fact the so many people get all bent out of shape about a "golf brand specific hoodie" blows my mind. I can understand a dress code for collegiate type or distasteful hoodies. But, a golf hoodie? Cmon
So, it's more selective?

The interesting thing about proper attire (or a dress code) is how it's defined by the location, not by the game of golf. So on that end, why would it bother you when a collective membership was not in favor of a hoody on a golf course?

For men proper golf dress code is collared shirts and long pants.
For women players short pants are acceptable.

Dress codes don’t bother me if the course lives up to the dress code. Played Atchafalaya at idle wild in southern La. no denim and collared shirts. The course doesn’t warrant such a dress code. Traps were horrible course condition was decent at best. Several places on course where ground was under repair by wild pigs. Far cry from a country club setting.

Back