Do Dress Codes Bother You?

No issue with dress codes. In fact, I kind of like them and wish they were more prevalent.

That said, I can't imagine ever being bothered about someone else's dress. No way I'd ever lodge a complaint about it.
I don’t think it’s our place to report anyone for it. Thats the job of the pro shop attendant or starter.
As an example I got out of my car at a private club a couple of years ago, and the kid at the bag drop told me to tuck in my shirt before I went into the pro shop. I had every intention of doing it anyway after a visit to the men’s room, but I sort of liked how on top of things the kid was.

Depends on what the dress code is.

Have never figured out what clothes has to do with hitting a little ball. I generally wear cargo shorts, t-shirt and sandals year round. Don't care for collared shirts very much and only have a few. Usually wear FJ golf sandals because I have arthritis in my toes and have to start taking pain pills after a few holes wearing closed shoes even riding a cart. Have put on a collared shirt a few times but have decided that they take my money anyway. If someone tells me to tuck my shirt in I'll probably just go somewhere else with my money. This discussion has come up before and I still say I would rather see bib overalls, which I have, than backward caps or hoodies.

Dress codes don't bother me at all, generally all courses over here require trousers and a shirt with a collar, no football shirts etc which is absolutely fine. But as someone else here said, no matter what the rules are then there will always be someone moaning about them. At the end of the day, if you don't to abide by the rules of the club you're playing at then don't play, it's really not that difficult.

Nah, it doesn't bother me. Happy to oblige.

I have no issue with dress codes - it is no different to any other business stipulating rules that someone has to abide by if they wish to enter the premises

If you don't like it, I am sure there are other places you can go that don't require the same

Now if a range specified golf clothing had to be worn just to practice, then I might be a little more bothered - whenever I go to practice at a range, I will always have a golf polo on (wear them pretty much all the time anyway when I am not at work) but depending on the weather, it will be jeans or shorts

I dont have much of an issue with them, as long as they are well defined and posted/shared ahead of time.

Dress code gave me an excuse to buy some new duds when I started golfing again.
Downside is that I can’t hide that I snuck out to play. I’m usually T-shirt, cargos and flip flops.
Upside is that people think I actually know how to golf by wearing the clothes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
We joined a club last fall. Last week my wife went on a shopping spree for new golf clothes, because she didn't have many. I knew joining the club would cost more than it seemed!

I'm 90% sure at this point I have to play with left handed junior clubs with one eye closed and an arm tied behind my back.

...and 25 a side :ROFLMAO:
I have a lefty US Kids golf Yard Club I offer to lend for this.

Sorry, but I’m going to disagree with you here. Golf hoodie is an oxymoron. if you play nice courses or belong to a club you played golf all your life without a hoodie, but suddenly it’s okay because adidas says so? Nah, don’t think so. It’s an apparel company going too far and I’m fine with a course saying no.
I remember a month or so ago Dustin Johnson began a morning round with a really nice looking white “golf hoodie”. As much as I liked it on him, I thought this isn’t going to end well for people trying to get on a lot of courses. I hope I’m right.

My club sells hoodies in the golf shop with the club's logo. Hoodies are not specifically mentioned in the dress code. If the club sells it, I would say it is acceptable.

As long as I know about them in advance of arriving at the course, they don’t bother me at all.

I've been a part of an interesting debate on social this evening about dress codes and I am blown away by how many people are genuinely bothered by them. Some have gone so far as to say that dress codes (or at least adhering to them) are what's wrong with golf, and hinders growth.

Curious to know how you feel about it, and whether your course selection (to play or to belong) is impacted by their dress code policy.
You guys in the states have no idea of the dress code BS we have to put up with here in the UK it’s a different world. Here’s a rule I had to adhere to when I was a junior member of a club many years ago...

(To walk through the Captain’s lounge after 7pm) junior members must be accompanied by a senior member who has been a member for at least 2 years and be wearing a tie.

That was to walk *through* a room to get access to the practice putting green.

Dressing reasonably respectably is nice, but to answer your question, here in the UK BS like the above is dissuading junior golfers and also making older players think twice. It’s absolutely damaging the game and club memberships here are through the floor. Interestingly, in the immediate past things have picked up because of Covid but things aren’t looking good longer term.

Work, school and play. I support dress codes all around. They are not always perfect for the individual but they at least show some continuity for the location. You also know what you're getting yourself into most of the time. My work is business formal every day, which means I get to spend money on dry cleaning more often than I would if I was working in a field that had a more relaxed dress code and that's fine and what I signed up for.

My FIL is a member of a private golf / country club and he has had to give me clothes to wear when I go with him because before I had my own clubs (before last year) he always wanted to go and play and hang out and I would always tell him I don't know how to golf, nor did I bring golfing things - since then I now always carry an extra polo in truck for such an occasion. It was never an inconvenience but you do need to think about it a little bit.

Just to keep going, I don't think that the typical dress code is even that big of a deal. Nice slacks / shorts and a polo is dressing normal for me so I don't consider it in the slightest. Now, if it was like on tour where there were no shorts I would likely not play at that course unless it was for a specific reason but I prefer to wear shorts when its over 50 degree's anyways.

I don’t care

Dont care honestly. If they require it i happily abide, if they don't im good with cargo shorts. Really not a big deal.

I’m okay with following the rules of specific courses and clubs as far as dress. I don’t worry about what anyone else is wearing. Not my issue or concern.

Nah I don't have a problem with dress codes to each course their own. I do think there should be dress codes in place at any course whether they are more lax than others or not because I have seen some stuff at the local muni that is completely unacceptable.

Do I think you should wear a collared shirt? YES
Do I think that shirt should be tucked in? NO
Do I think you should wear shorts that aren't denim or cargo? YES
Do I think you should wear a T-shirt or Tank Top? NO
Do I think these rules should be enforced by a ranger? YES YES YES

Their course, their rules. You may not like them, but respect them.

I'm okay with dress codes.

Typically, I wear polos, slacks or shorts. Sometimes, I keep them in the trunk of the car just in case I am going by a range.

Over the years, our dress standards have relaxed. I see gym shorts and t-shirts once in a while and while I notice it, and it's not generally accepted by the GC, I ignore it. Yes, tank tops and jean shorts are a bit much, but it's not frequent.

We had some PGA Pros live in the neighborhood who once used the practice area, and they complained. But they seem to have moved.

If you want to wear whatever you want and or offended by dress codes on the golf course then that is fine by me. This may sound snobbish but we are probably not going to be playing at the same course. With that being said if you want to play at a nicer course then there are rules just like everywhere else.

I am not bothered at all. Frankly jeans for example are heavier and in winter might be warmer but I don’t find them nearly as comfortable for a full round. I am totally fine with a course having a dress code and following it.

I think a dress code keeps some people from going too far. I don’t want to see short shorts or some buy in a tank top where his moobs are showing. I am fine with reasonable length shorts, sleeves and a collar. I couldn’t care less about a hoodie.

Not bothered by a dress code at all. In fact i encourage them

When you turn around at the turn and the guy behind you in the clubhouse is wearing a tee shirt with the arms ripped off, and actually half the sides akin to what you would be asked to leave the gym, well, thats just begging for banishment from the course

Dress codes bother me in the sense of it can come across as exclusive and not inclusive. If i want to go to the range in a hoodie and joggers to hit balls, I don't see an issue. Playing the course, I can see where stricter rules might be in play, but still it shouldn't be to the point to alienate people who might not be on the same financial level as others.

Private clubs can set their rules as they see fit, I am good with that, but local munis or public courses need to be a little more tolerant with the dress code, especially when it comes to the practice area.

While I think polos with colored shirts and no jeans should be standard, I don’t wear anything that I would use to workout or sleep in. Yet, I don’t care what people wear. You want to wear a t-shirt and sweatpants go right ahead.

No problem with a dress code.

@Canadan - For a second I thought you were talking about dress codes in schools! :ROFLMAO: - but that's a different issue.

I'm not bothered by them on courses and it doesn't bother me if they don't have one either. What bothers me is not picking up your divots or driving the cart next to the green 🤬...

I am ALL in favor of loosening dress code restrictions, but I will and do respect the rules at each course, and would expect others to do the same.

Generally speaking no. What gets me, is the odd occasion where they enforce the code but then they don't worry about backups on the course.

Then there's the case where there is a code and it's very loosely enforced. I saw/heard metal spikes last year (and I'm deaf). Played with a guy this year who wore hiking boots, they were not green friendly.

If you have it, enforce it. If you enforce the code, then enforce pace of play... Or at least pretend to.

In my opinion it depends on the course. My home course has very little dress code and you should see the number of high school kids that flock to that place to play since they "relaxed" their rules a bit. The local high school team's numbers almost tripled in the last few years since they did this. And I have no problem with the kids being out there. They stay out of the members way, always let us play through and are very respectful.

If it's a course where you're spending 300 dollars a round I get it - you probably only want a certain image. But if you're trying to get people to play the game and run a successful business, you might want to relax a bit and let people be comfortable.

And a driving range? I don't understand why it's such a distraction there, but I guess the course has the right to do what they want.

Back