Do Dress Codes Bother You?

I'm not bothered by course dress codes. I'm a Jean's and t-shirt almost always but if I want to patronize a business I abide by their rules. Golf pants/shorts are really comfortable anyway. I wear a collared shirt and appropriate pants in preparation for a dress code just in case when I visit a new course. I played a country track yesterday and was probably the only one there in golf pants.

Dress codes definitely promote a level of exclusivity and by definition it discourages some from participating. It would be hard to argue that these kinds of rules are not hurting expansion of the game. I guess whether that is a problem or not is up to the business.

Last edited:
I like the dress code.
If people start only wearing t-shirts and jeans to play golf, then I have wasted a lot of money on specifically golf clothes.

Was reading the posts and got me to thinking. It may not be the dress code that bothers me as much as someone telling me what to do, didn't like it when I was being paid and surely don't like it when I'm doing the paying. Sort of like a mask with this covid stuff.

I'm sorry, I just need to ask, what's wrong with cargo shorts on a golf course?

I am not bothered by dress codes. I am by no means a fashion guru, but when my BIL wants to wear cargo pants with frayed bottoms and a quadruple break, I am glad there are some standards. Its not the type of pant, but the fit that I judge silently :p

*WARNING* Here comes a rant.
I’m 100% in favor of dress codes, in fact, I’d be in favor of dress codes in a lot more places besides the golf course.
I don’t know exactly how it happened, but around 20 years ago people suddenly became okay with “dressing down” wherever they went. I’d love to see restaurants, clubs, and of course golf courses turn away people dressed like slobs.
Saturday nights at a nice restaurant, social gatherings, church... heck, I remember when people got dressed up to fly on an airplane. Sloppy casual has become way too acceptable, IMO. Have some pride, and get outta here with jorts, or jeans and a tee on a golf course.
Dont get me wrong, I live in an area where 9-10 months a year I’m in shorts, a tee and sandals. I still take pride in looking neat and clean however. When I golf, I’m always in a nice golf outfit, and if I’m going out at night, I make sure to dress well also.
You don’t need a lot of money to dress nicely. If money is an issue, a few basic items in your closet, an iron and a washing machine are all you need to make a nice appearance.
I think all this happened more than 20 years ago, but I agree with you.

That being said, I still refuse to "dress down" to fly. There are too many people who think it's acceptable to sit next to a plane full of strangers having not showered and wearing pajamas, and sandals. I won't wear a tie, but I will almost certainly wear a collared shirt and jacket. I choose not to wear a tie simply because it's a pain in the ass to wear while I sleep.

I also do not believe shorts or sandals have any place in a restaurant with more than two $. No one on a romantic date with their sweetheart needs to see your toenails. If you want to dine on the beach, lightweight pants, and loafers are not hard to find.

I will never look down on anyone for dressing in a way that I wouldn't, but I live by the idea that you can never be over dressed for an occasion. When in doubt, dress a level or two above what you think may be the dress code.

It never hurts to check with the host. Terminology has a very vague understanding today as well - i.e. some people think "formal attire" simply means shirt and tie, whereas I was taught, growing up, that formal is white tie, and semi-formal is black tie.

Last edited:
I don't pay any attention to dress codes at golf courses because my normal, default golf clothing isn't going to violate any conceivable dress code. I wear khaki slacks, a regular short or long sleeve golf shirt (depending on the weather), a Tilley hat and spikeless Ecco golf shoes. I don't dress like that because someone tells me too, that's just what is comfortable and suits me.

Of course when I'm not playing golf I tend to wear khaki slacks, a golf shirt and Ecco street shoes. So it isn't like there's much decision making going on when I grab stuff out of the closet every morning! I keep a pair of dress slacks, a white shirt and a dark gray jacket just for the occasional funeral I have to attend every few years.

I do think dress codes are a good thing. If I'm golfing at a nice course, I don't want to see tank tops and cut off jorts.

That being said, I still refuse to "dress down" to fly. There are too many people who think it's acceptable to sit next to a plane full of strangers having not showered and wearing pajamas, and sandals. I won't wear a tie, but I will almost certainly wear a collared shirt and jacket. I choose not to wear a tie simply because it's a pain in the ass to wear while I sleep.

I also do not believe shorts or sandals have any place in a restaurant with more than two $. No one on a romantic date with their sweetheart needs to see your toenails. If you want to dine on the beach, lightweight pants, and loafers are not hard to find.

I will never look down on anyone for dressing in a way that I wouldn't, but I live by the idea that you can never be over dressed to an occasion. When in doubt, dress a level or two above what you think may be the dress code.

It never hurts to check with the host. Terminology has a very vague understanding today as well - i.e. some people think "formal attire" simply means shirt and tie, whereas I was taught, growing up, that formal is white tie, and semi-formal is black tie.
I'm a shorts and polo guy all summer long no matter how nice the restaurant is. I have just accepted I prefer comfort during the warm months.

As for dress codes I don't care as long as your respectful to the course. I always felt like dress codes we used more to control type of clientele. With that said I'm always in golf shorts or pants and a polo.

I'm a fan of them in general. I think it sets a tone for decorum and respect for the course and game. It's something that's been lost in our society.
When I lived in a damp, cold climate, denim was accepted at most courses, especially during the colder months.
While some places can be a bit overboard, it's their club, their rules. Respect it.
I always wear a collared shirt to the course, and most of the time to the range.
Don't really care to see gym shorts and basketball jerseys on the course, even the muni....

Last edited:
"Proper Golf Attire" on a "proper" golf course is the way I like it. If it's a low-level, dump of a course, I would not be offended to see improper golf attire. But, I don't care there, since I won't be playing there.

IMO, golf is a game that strongly relies on proper etiquette as part of the whole aura of the sport. Appropriate dress is part of that etiquette. At least it is for those of us who were drawn to the game in part, due to that aura, like I was as a boy. It's not basketball, it's not car racing, it's not hunting. It's golf. To me personally, wearing respectable (though golf fashionable) attire is part of the draw. What can I say? I'm a traditionalist.

I will never look down on anyone for dressing in a way that I wouldn't, but I live by the idea that you can never be over dressed to an occasion. When in doubt, dress a level or two above what you think may be the dress code.

Agree.

On the course, I think that I honor the game by dressing in polos, the acceptable non-polo and decent shorts or slacks. I watch for sales for winter golf sweaters and jackets. It's something you only have to buy once.

Airline attire begian going downhill in the late 70's-early 80's or that's when I noticed it because I started flying more. I dated a flight attendant in my 20's (1984), and I got on her flight in shorts and a polo, and she began dressing me down - "Don't you ever wear shorts on an airplane again. Do you realize your sweat and perspiration or everyone else who has been on that seat - is now on you? Don't ever."

Okay - lesson learned - I dress in long pants and usually a long sleeve shirt on a plane and socks and shoes. And when in an airport or on a plane, I'm not sorry, but I am judgmental. I laugh or just ask myself "What the heck are we coming to?"

So gentlemen - In her famous words -- "Don't you ever!" Have some pride and concern for public health :)

In the mid-90's, office dress began going casual. But it was a good change. Instead of suits, sport coats were more acceptable whether in the office or out on the town. A little too much padding in the shoulders, but it was a good time for slightly dressing down.

Now we've slid down that rabbit hole where anything is acceptable. I do grimace on the golf course, restaurants and on planes - in tight spaces, wear some clothes. I feel like a Dad now.:ROFLMAO:

When I go out, I have decent jeans/slacks, shirt and shoes - as stated above, if you are not sure of the dress, call the restaurant - I do.

There are so many online discount places like Nordstroms Rack that have sales - decent clothes are not expensive any longer.

And if you don't have a suit, just get one suit and one sport coat - plain navy goes with anything and doesn't show stains. I have one go-to suit now for weddings and funerals, and a couple of sport coats - not the hoard I collected in the late 80's-90s.:cool:

Last edited:
I have an issue with them when I go to an inexpensive, goat ranch of a track. There should be zero reason why I have to look like I am playing at a country club when the course and club house look like it has had any work done to it in decades.
Now, if I am invited to play at a nice country club, BIG IF, I would dress nice. But, if you know me, that will probably not happen. Which I am ok with.

I think there is too much on this game we all love to "dress the part." I don't think "dressing the part" makes the game. If you play by the rule, fixing divots and pitch marks and keep up with pace of play and just are not a d*ck, BUT, most of all enjoy your round...I don't see why I would have to dress up. I played a course last summer, nice track, that was out in the country, 30 mins outside of the city proper. I saw a group of older gentlemen playing in cargo shorts and t-shirts. They were all walking and keeping up with play and laughing the whole time they were on the course and on the patio after their round. I thought to myself, "dressing up doesn't make me play better, have more fun, play any worse or keep me from following the rules." Does anyone have "more fun," "enjoy the game," "play any better/worse" because they're have a collared shirt on? NO! And no one ever will. I love this game and I hope to play it for many more years without a strict dress code.
But, that's just like my opinion man...

I've been a part of an interesting debate on social this evening about dress codes and I am blown away by how many people are genuinely bothered by them. Some have gone so far as to say that dress codes (or at least adhering to them) are what's wrong with golf, and hinders growth.

Curious to know how you feel about it, and whether your course selection (to play or to belong) is impacted by their dress code policy.
Doesn’t bother me. If there is one, I follow it, if there’s not then I don’t worry about it.

I do think there’s a lot archaic to much of it, and I’ve actually played some that are incredibly nitpicky.

The course can always set its own rules, but it pays to remember that we don’t know a persons situation in life, it’s why options and places with lax codes are great for golf. We should all be able to enjoy it no matter what we wear, and it’s cool that it doesn’t have to be on the same course.

Me? Give me my muni crowd. They’re my people.

One of my most memorable (as much as I could remember) rounds of golf was at a well known muni. I was wearing my normal golf attire, a couple of my brothers were wearing tanks and jorts (not offensively short mind you), and *gasp* they let us book and play as a 5 some. Not all courses need to have a strict dress code.

Agree.

Airline attire begian going downhill in the late 70's-early 80's or that's when I noticed it because I started flying more. I dated a flight attendant in my 20's, and I got on her flight in shorts and a polo, and she began dressing me down - "Don't you ever wear shorts on an airplane again. Do you realize your sweat and perspiration or everyone else who has been on that seat - is now on you? Don't ever."

Okay - lesson learned - I dress in long pants and usually a long sleeve shirt on a plane and socks and shoes.

So gentlemen - In her famous words -- "Don't you ever!" Have some pride and concern for public health :)

In the mid-90's, office dress began going casual. But it was a good change. Instead of suits, sport coats were more acceptable whether in the office or out on the town. A little too much padding in the shoulders, but it was a good time for slightly dressing down.

Now we've slid down that rabbit hole where anything is acceptable. I do grimace on the golf course, restaurants and on planes - in tight spaces, wear some clothes. I feel like a Dad now.:ROFLMAO:

When I go out, I have decent jeans/slacks, shirt and shoes - as stated above, if you are not sure of the dress, call the restaurant - I do.

There are so many online discount places like Nordstroms Rack that have sales - decent clothes are not expensive any longer.

And if you don't have a suit, just get one suit and one sport coat - plain navy goes with anything and doesn't show stains. I have one go-to suit now for weddings and funerals, and a couple of sport coats - not the hoard I collected in the late 80's-90s.:cool:

OH LORD lets not get on flying...lol

I generally only fly for business reasons as I prefer to drive. But i wear long pants ands a polo when I fly for just that reason and for the reason I see what people wear when flying.
Pajama's? short shorts, tank tops? I mean I guess there are those folks that fly in attire to be comfy and sleep but onesies ? and full body footies?

Dress codes should be weather specific. I don't have a problem with a someone showing up in jeans and a hoodie with highs in the 40s. Yeah, it's just as easy to throw on some khakis and a nice sweater, but those days are also likely to ruin what you are wearing because the course is usually pretty wet and soft. I feel the same about shoes. I've definitely switched to some old trail runners as soon as I left hole 1 when the course feels like a swamp. I dress like I'm going to the course everyday because that's just my style, and always has been. I just wish on these wet and cold early season days more places would relax it a little bit.

Personally, I'm a fan. If a course doesn't have at least an idea of a dress code, I'm less likely to play it. I like nice shorts, golf shirts & shoes. I like to look nice.

I have an issue with them when I go to an inexpensive, goat ranch of a track. There should be zero reason why I have to look like I am playing at a country club when the course and club house look like it has had any work done to it in decades.
Now, if I am invited to play at a nice country club, BIG IF, I would dress nice. But, if you know me, that will probably not happen. Which I am ok with.

I think there is too much on this game we all love to "dress the part." I don't think "dressing the part" makes the game. If you play by the rule, fixing divots and pitch marks and keep up with pace of play and just are not a d*ck, BUT, most of all enjoy your round...I don't see why I would have to dress up. I played a course last summer, nice track, that was out in the country, 30 mins outside of the city proper. I saw a group of older gentlemen playing in cargo shorts and t-shirts. They were all walking and keeping up with play and laughing the whole time they were on the course and on the patio after their round. I thought to myself, "dressing up doesn't make me play better, have more fun, play any worse or keep me from following the rules." Does anyone have "more fun," "enjoy the game," "play any better/worse" because they're have a collared shirt on? NO! And no one ever will. I love this game and I hope to play it for many more years without a strict dress code.
But, that's just like my opinion man...

Alright mr. noonan haha aka Sean aka @Noonan...Danny couple interesting ideas in your post and i gotta give you some sh**...

1. I agree I would 100% love a player that fixed divots, pitch marks and played fast wearing t shirts and cargos vs a guy that wore $100 polo with the newest ralph lauren golf shorts and $200 shoes. who averaged 5.5 hour rounds and left every ballmark/divot. But why cant we compromise with a golf shirt.

2. Location might be a differentiator for me in most cases, although there is a course out in the country (ohioans dont scold me, but its aways away from city Virtues/Eagle Sticks), While I wear a polo and golf short everywhere, my wife makes fun of me and my "casual" clothes so thats a me problem. If I am headed out in the sticks I might wear some fun polos and casual golf, knowing i might not see proper attire, but I went into it expecting that. If I am at my local courses here, i expect dress code to be followed. Polo and NON JEANS (I could care less about what brand or style on clothes) NO JEANS IS A MUST! Fall golf - go get cheap khakis for all i care but ughhh jeans grind my gears.

3. I want to look good incase i set the course record or get that HIO hahaha - so I dress well hoping i play well lol

4. Appreciate the banter! Hit 'em straight and if we tee it up ... and break the rules... I am marking you a "Double par"... Youre over the line! thats a foul!

I think dress codes are completely stupid. Clothing doesn’t change the person wearing it one single bit. That person brings the same values and principles whether they are wearing jeans and a t-shirt or perfectly pressed slacks and a polo.

As far as alienation, this thread right here has just added to the alienation that I, personally, have felt from the golf world over dress codes. I have never experienced this sort of thing participating in ANY other sport, and I’ve played many.

Dress codes are absolutely one of the reasons I’ve remained on the fringes of the golf world for 30 years since I first swung a club. The golf world, including many people in this very thread, has made very clear that people like me, who prefer to dress comfortably and don’t think clothes say a thing about a person’s character, don’t belong in golf except on munis or otherwise “lesser“ courses.

This game is full of snobby, judgmental people, and always has been. If you can’t see it, you’re probably part of the problem.

I've been a part of an interesting debate on social this evening about dress codes and I am blown away by how many people are genuinely bothered by them. Some have gone so far as to say that dress codes (or at least adhering to them) are what's wrong with golf, and hinders growth.

Curious to know how you feel about it, and whether your course selection (to play or to belong) is impacted by their dress code policy.
I'd draw the line at this:
1573483907032.jpeg

Otherwise I'm OK

Attachments

• 1573483907032.jpeg
    1573483907032.jpeg
    183.2 KB · Views: 0
Heres another question and maybe it deserves its own thread but should the dress code be different for women vs men?

Back