Do Dress Codes Bother You?

My club sells hoodies in the golf shop with the club's logo. Hoodies are not specifically mentioned in the dress code. If the club sells it, I would say it is acceptable.

Agree completely. I bought a nice hoodie at The Hideaway with the club's logo. I've yet to have a course (public or private) tell me that it's unacceptable. Of course, if I played somewhere that had an explicit no hoodie policy, I'd respect that. It's their course, they get to set the rules.

No idea why I would ever worry about what another person wears to play golf.

Heres another question and maybe it deserves its own thread but should the dress code be different for women vs men?
Yes, because men in golf skirts is something I don't want to see. :ROFLMAO:

I think dress codes are completely stupid. Clothing doesn’t change the person wearing it one single bit. That person brings the same values and principles whether they are wearing jeans and a t-shirt or perfectly pressed slacks and a polo.

As far as alienation, this thread right here has just added to the alienation that I, personally, have felt from the golf world over dress codes. I have never experienced this sort of thing participating in ANY other sport, and I’ve played many.

Dress codes are absolutely one of the reasons I’ve remained on the fringes of the golf world for 30 years since I first swung a club. The golf world, including many people in this very thread, has made very clear that people like me, who prefer to dress comfortably and don’t think clothes say a thing about a person’s character, don’t belong in golf except on munis or otherwise “lesser“ courses.

This game is full of snobby, judgmental people, and always has been. If you can’t see it, you’re probably part of the problem.

I’m not sure what you are referring to about dressing comfortably because with the technology now in clothes my golf attire is the most comfortable clothing I own.

I’m not sure what you are referring to about dressing comfortably because with the technology now in clothes my golf attire is the most comfortable clothing I own.

I don’t like wearing collars and I don’t like the fit of dress slacks on my body.

Golf pants are better than they used to be though. I will give you that much. Still, not remotely the most comfortable clothing I own though.

Most of the pubic courses in my area are full of sloppily dressed folks and that doesn't bother me too much, but some still push it into bad taste IMO, but it isn't my call so whatever. My club enforces a dress code of collared shirts that need to be tucked in and that doesn't bother me either. In fact, I prefer it.

I think dress codes are completely stupid. Clothing doesn’t change the person wearing it one single bit. That person brings the same values and principles whether they are wearing jeans and a t-shirt or perfectly pressed slacks and a polo.

As far as alienation, this thread right here has just added to the alienation that I, personally, have felt from the golf world over dress codes. I have never experienced this sort of thing participating in ANY other sport, and I’ve played many.

Dress codes are absolutely one of the reasons I’ve remained on the fringes of the golf world for 30 years since I first swung a club. The golf world, including many people in this very thread, has made very clear that people like me, who prefer to dress comfortably and don’t think clothes say a thing about a person’s character, don’t belong in golf except on munis or otherwise “lesser“ courses.

This game is full of snobby, judgmental people, and always has been. If you can’t see it, you’re probably part of the problem.

Sounds as if you are letting a personal issue interfere with your enjoyment of the game, and you may be judging those who believe they are honoring the game by wearing a polo or acceptable shirt and shorts, whether cargo or not.

I usually only cringe at tank tops and gym shorts - I don't wear jeans and a heavy shirt to the gym - why wear gym clothes to play golf?:unsure:

I don't see it much at a golf course. In rural area munis, anything goes and that's fine. In the city, you don't see much of t-shirts, tanks and gym clothes or jeans.

I'm more surprised at what peeps wear on airplanes than on the golf course - it's a matter of volume. Scarce on golf course, common on air travel.

If you can't be comfortable in a pair of stretchy waistband, lightweight, breathable Under Armour golf slacks it's hard to imagine what you could be comfortable wearing other than sitting on the sofa in your boxer briefs.

I do get the impression from some of these threads that a lot of guys idea of "comfortable" starts and ends with wearing shorts. As in, by definition if I can't wear shorts than I can't be comfortable.

I live in a pretty warm climate but we still get lots of winter days in the 30's and 40's. There's a couple guys at my club who will literally wear shorts to play golf on a 45F windy day, along with their GoreTex jacket. It's like a religion or something, they wouldn't be caught dead on a golf course with long pants.

I have no problem if a course has and enforces a dress code. For most places or social functions in general, putting on shorts and a polo shouldn't be so difficult

Im a firm believer in whatever establishment creating their dress code and enforcing it. If a customer doesnt want to follow it or think its ridiculous, then they can go somewhere else

Willingly adhering to dress codes demonstrates respect for other golfers, the course, and the game. Additionally, when I play a particular course, it's their house, so their rules. I would prefer to wear golf shorts when it's hot outside, but I still respect their rules if I wish to play there. It's not snobbery, it's respect.

As for the "why should I have to pay even more money to buy the required clothes" argument, it's already been pointed out how inexpensively you can buy a pair of golf shorts and a golf shirt at Wal-Mart. Properly cared for, they'll last you for at least a full season. So instead of buying that dozen ProV1`s you`re going to donate to the water god anyway, buy a pair of golf shorts and a golf shirt, and stop insisting that you always should be able to do anything you want any way you want no matter the circumstances.

Hurumph, Hurumph.

I was talking about this with another member a couple weeks ago when we were waiting for a charity scramble to finish so could get in 9 one evening. He said when he joined about 12 years earlier that he came up to the range one evening right before it closed wearing a T-shirt. An older member came up and said he needed a collared shirt and was pretty rude to him. He said he was thinking to himself "this is what I signed up for?" He said as long as it's a nice clean T-shirt and not a ragged yard work one then that should be fine for just hitting and chipping on the range.

He's actually and member at Bluejack National (yeah I'm trying to get him to take me there) and said all the member there wear T-shirts or untucked shirts. They don't care at all for members. I think they want guest to wear a proper golf outfit and member for big tournaments but not for casual rounds. That surprised me a little bit. He said it's because they want to cater to younger members who will be there a long time.

Sounds as if you are letting a personal issue interfere with your enjoyment of the game, and you may be judging those who believe they are honoring the game by wearing a polo or acceptable shirt and shorts, whether cargo or not.

Honor and tradition. Give me a break. Dress codes in golf started as an exclusionary measure, and they continue to be one today.

This article pretty much outlines my feelings on the matter, aside from the part about playing better in “proper golf attire“ which has never been the case for me.

So no, I enjoy the game just fine. I just think a whole lot of the people that play it are elitist a**holes.

Not knowing a dress code prior to going there is a rude surprise, as well as them not making a summer vs winter one. Some high end courses wants pants only. I get it, and I'm not bothered by it. In August though, pants seems pretty rude.

I've never personally encountered a course with an insane dress code (like pants only, or only white socks, or whatever) so it's hard for me to fathom those.

But rolling up to a Club with a dress code in your Tna's and Lululemon, getting scolded that your shirt isn't collared, and then crying "Golf is exclusive!" just reeks of looking for a twitter thread.

Honor and tradition. Give me a break. Dress codes in golf started as an exclusionary measure, and they continue to be one today.

This article pretty much outlines my feelings on the matter, aside from the part about playing better in “proper golf attire“ which has never been the case for me.

So no, I enjoy the game just fine. I just think a whole lot of the people that play it are elitist a**holes.

Some are ...;)

Golf started a long time ago. It has changed. By the looks of things today, it's not exclusionary at all. Shorts, polo, shoes. OMG!:ROFLMAO:

I've been a part of an interesting debate on social this evening about dress codes and I am blown away by how many people are genuinely bothered by them. Some have gone so far as to say that dress codes (or at least adhering to them) are what's wrong with golf, and hinders growth.

Curious to know how you feel about it, and whether your course selection (to play or to belong) is impacted by their dress code policy.

Not bothered at all by dress codes.

I've never personally encountered a course with an insane dress code (like pants only, or only white socks, or whatever) so it's hard for me to fathom those.

But rolling up to a Club with a dress code in your Tna's and Lululemon, getting scolded that your shirt isn't collared, and then crying "Golf is exclusive!" just reeks of looking for a twitter thread.
Maybe keep a collared shirt in the locker, or your car. How else do you get out for an emergency nine?

I hated having to wear a polo and khakis when I was a kid in the 70's, but grew to appreciate a dress code as I got older. BTW, I'm not an "elitist Ahole", but there are quite a few that play the game. Just like anything else in life, some people think they're better than everybody else...

Dress codes bother me in the sense of it can come across as exclusive and not inclusive. If i want to go to the range in a hoodie and joggers to hit balls, I don't see an issue. Playing the course, I can see where stricter rules might be in play, but still it shouldn't be to the point to alienate people who might not be on the same financial level as others.

Private clubs can set their rules as they see fit, I am good with that, but local munis or public courses need to be a little more tolerant with the dress code, especially when it comes to the practice area.
This is a common theme in here, and while I totally get it, and would support it in concept despite being a believer in practicing in what you play in, I think it's hard in reality. I haven't been many places where you can completely separate the practice areas and playing areas. It's hard to not at least walk through common areas for both. So a practice dressed player still tends to end up in areas where the dress code of the establishment would need to apply, if they have one.

I honestly choose a lot of my clothes because of this. I want to be comfortable and not sweat and be free to move, so I lean towards athletic pants/shirts/polos. I basically live in UA. It's the best middle ground I've found for all of this and keeps me from having to change 3 times a day.

Dress codes bother me in the sense of it can come across as exclusive and not inclusive. If i want to go to the range in a hoodie and joggers to hit balls, I don't see an issue. Playing the course, I can see where stricter rules might be in play, but still it shouldn't be to the point to alienate people who might not be on the same financial level as others.

Private clubs can set their rules as they see fit, I am good with that, but local munis or public courses need to be a little more tolerant with the dress code, especially when it comes to the practice area.
Ultimately, I agree with this take 100%. And I'm encouraged to say that I've seen all types of people & dress at our local public courses, even the ones that have a dress code don't really enforce it.

Private courses? Yes, they are exclusive and that's literally WHY they exist. Some people just don't want to associate or be exposed to common rabble like me.

Dress codes don't really bother me. I figure that it is their place of business and then can require whatever dress code they want. If I don't like it, I can spend my money elswhere.
The only time I disagreed with a dress code was when I was playing at the Moon Palace course in Cancun. It had rained quite a bit the night before I played and that left 4 to 6 inch deep puddles that were 10 to 20 feet in diameter on many fairways. I would hit a ball in the fairway only to find it in one of these puddles. So I would take my shoes and socks off, walk out in the warm water and grab my ball. Then I would play the "Casual Water" rule and move on. I got tired of the having to do the shoes off, dry feet with towel, shoes on scenario, so I just started playing barefoot. I do this at home from time to time as it seems to help my balance. But....I only made it about 5 holes when a marshal saw me on the 8th hole and said I had to put my shoes on. I did so and left them on till I got to the 11 hole and another fairway puddle. I then took them off again until the 18th. (what a bad guy I am)

Heres another question and maybe it deserves its own thread but should the dress code be different for women vs men?
Not at all. Obviously there are exceptions in regards to skirts, etc. But dress codes are codes. They can specify between sexes as to what is acceptable.

That being said, I have mixed feelings about the clubs in some resort areas (some in Mexico come to mind) that require men in golf attire, but allow women to go barefoot in string bikinis.

I understand this policy - I am sure it is to convince women to play golf with their significant others so they boys can play - thus helping the clubs stay in business. Outside of that I would draw a line. If any of my regular clubs had a policy like this I would take immediate issue.

Last edited:

Hoodie sighting :D

Doesn't bother me at all. I not only think that it's not wrong, I actually think it's one of the things that's right with golf. Expecting appropriate attire on the course is one of the things, along with personal conduct, that keeps golf from becoming just another sandlot game. There are plenty of courses around where they have no apparent dress code, or simply don't enforce one. If you don't like dress codes, play there. But, criticizing courses that want to maintain a more traditional approach is just whining about something that's not even a problem. There is nothing exclusionary about it. As someone else already noted, you can get a decent pair of shorts and a collared shirt for less than the cost of a dozen Titleist balls.

Back