Do Dress Codes Bother You?

It boggles my mind that people in this thread can’t see this. Golf’s dress code is a tradition that doesn’t deserve to be honored.

I can afford plenty of collared shirts , and I hate wearing shorts. I even do own golf pants and polos for the few times when I want to play somewhere that requires them. But, I still don’t like wearing “proper golf attire”, and I especially don’t like being told that I have to wear them to be welcome to play.

Obviously there are courses, and other golfers, that don’t care how I’m dressed. That is typically where I play and who I play with, but it doesn’t change the fact that those are the only places I’m welcome to play unless I conform to someone else’s idea that I should dress semi-formally (or business casual or whatever you want to call it) to play a sport.

Consider for a moment the extents that golf apparel manufacturers have gone to make a non-athletic style of clothing perform like athletic wear, instead of the community just accepting that athletic wear is appropriate dress for playing a sport.

Golf is not a sport. Anything you can do while smoking a cigar doesn't qualify in my book, lol. I walked 34 holes yesteday and I'm sure my heart rate never go over 90 bpm the entire day.

I don't care what people wear at public courses but I'm 100% ok with private courses having clothing and other rules or codes. My last club only allowed cell phone use in the parking lot and I loved it. People would occasionally take a call during a round but they would wander off in the rough or woods far away from any other golfers to do so. :)

Not a problem with them at all. The place I play a lot (a small 9 hole course) does not have a dress code and I have seen people in cutoffs, gym shorts, and no shoes at all and that bothers me to the core.

That being said, I don’t like the idea of being required to dress like that nor do I want to associate with people who care how people dress for what I view to be nothing more than a recreational activity.

More than anything, this is crux of it for me. I’m not the type to conform for the sake of conforming when no other legitimate purpose is being served. That‘s just not me.

I don't expect an entire sport to cater to me, nor should they.

Where exactly did I say that I expect the whole sport to cater to me?

Because what I actually said was in response to the very first post in this thread; that dress codes are exclusionary, for no good purpose, and that they do alienate people from getting involved with the sport, myself included.

I mean, look at the response my opinion has gotten in this thread. Do you think I feel more welcome in this community now, or less welcome?

More than anything, this is crux of it for me. I’m not the type to conform for the sake of conforming when no other legitimate purpose is being served. That‘s just not me.

Because what I actually said was in response to the very first post in this thread; that dress codes are exclusionary, for no good purpose, and that they do alienate people from getting involved with the sport, myself included.

I mean, look at the response my opinion has gotten in this thread. Do you think I feel more welcome in this community now, or less welcome?

Dress codes alienate people from getting certain jobs as do things like visible tattoos. When I worked retail a Best Buy selling audio equipment 30+ years ago, they required us to wear ties, dress pants and dress shoes. They also didn't allow long beards and some store manager didn't allow any beards. One of my managers used to send guys home if they looked hungover or had a few days of growth on their face. I had a buddy that wanted to work there but didn't want to wear a tie so he got a job with UPS as a driver, which of course required a different type of uniform.

My wife's last company allowed jeans at work every day and her current company only allows jeans on Fridays. She is in charge of their HR and had a battle just to allow the Friday jeans attire. :)

I don't really have an opinion on the topic, but I am curious. Do you ever go out to eat at a nicer restaurant?

Does it irritate you that you can't walk into a McDonald's barefoot and shirtless also?

Most Americans that have played golf in the UK have probably received a bollocking for walking into the clubhouse with their hat on LOL.

Oh no, I was taught at a very young age where hats do & do not belong.

Golf is not a sport. Anything you can do while smoking a cigar doesn't qualify in my book, lol. I walked 34 holes yesteday and I'm sure my heart rate never go over 90 bpm the entire day.

I don't care what people wear at public courses but I'm 100% ok with private courses having clothing and other rules or codes. My last club only allowed cell phone use in the parking lot and I loved it. People would occasionally take a call during a round but they would wander off in the rough or woods far away from any other golfers to do so. :)

I guess baseball, football, hockey, and many other recreational activities aren’t sports either.

Didn't say you did, just trying to explain my position & thoughts.

Dress codes alienate people from getting certain jobs as do things like visible tattoos. When I worked retail a Best Buy selling audio equipment 30+ years ago, they required us to wear ties, dress pants and dress shoes. They also didn't allow long beards and some store manager didn't allow any beards. One of my managers used to send guys home if they looked hungover or had a few days of growth on their face. I had a buddy that wanted to work there but didn't want to wear a tie so he got a job with UPS as a driver, which of course required a different type of uniform.

My wife's last company allowed jeans at work every day and her current company only allows jeans on Fridays. She is in charge of their HR and had a battle just to allow the Friday jeans attire. :)

Golf is not a job for 99.9% of us, but regardless, I won’t work for anyone with a dress code either. It hasn’t prevented me from making six figures in a management role at a big company, nor have my full sleeve tattoos for that matter. Though my income may say I’m upper middle class now, I’ve never lost my blue collar roots which taught me that clothing and tattoos do not measure the mark of a person’s character. It also taught me to be wary of people who judge, and especially of people who exclude, others based on things like that.

I don't really have an opinion on the topic, but I am curious. Do you ever go out to eat at a nicer restaurant?

Yes, but I live on the west coast where dress codes in restaurants are almost non-existent. I’ve eaten at five star restaurants wearing a t-shirt, jeans, and sneakers and no one batted an eye because half of the other patrons were dressed similarly.

Last edited:
Yes, but I live on the west coast where dress codes in restaurants are almost non-existent. I’ve eaten at five star restaurants wearing a t-shirt, jeans, and sneakers and no one batted an eye because half of the other patrons were dressed similarly.

Thank you for answering. Would you go there if they required a collared shirt? Or just skip it?

No it’s not, but it’s not that difficult for you to mind your own business and ignore what I’m wearing either is it?

I don’t care if you want to dress up. Why do you care what I wear?

And you clearly missed the part where I said I don’t like wearing shorts.
So what you are saying is that a person should only care what they themselves are wearing and not what others are wearing? What about weddings, church services, funerals, etc? Should I be able to go shirtless on the golf course if I want? After all, you say it's none of anybody's business.

I've mostly looked at golf course dress codes sort of like church dress codes. No one REALLY cares as long as your there and being respectful.

Now, if it's a higher end club or nicer course...I get it...but if it's a goat ranch muni....keep up pace, be respectful of other and the course, and have fun.

Thank you for answering. Would you go there if they required a collared shirt? Or just skip it?

I would go to a restaurant with a dress code if my wife asked, or if I wanted to dress up any given night. I have dressed to the nines going out to eat but that was because I wanted to, not because someone told me I had to if I wanted to eat there.

I’m not much of a foodie though, a greasy diner is way more my speed, so it’s easy for me to forgo a restaurant because of a dress code. I don’t feel like I’m missing much. In general though, yes, I do tend avoid exclusionary activities or places purely on principle.

So what you are saying is that a person should only care what they themselves are wearing and not what others are wearing? What about weddings, church services, funerals, etc? Should I be able to go shirtless on the golf course if I want? After all, you say it's none of anybody's business.

No. That’s you twisting my words in a poor attempt to make me seem unreasonable. What I’m saying is that golf is a recreational sport that does not benefit in any way, shape, or form by having a dress code. If my wearing a jeans and t-shirt on the golf course offends your delicate sensibilities so much, you’re the one with the problem. Not me.

No. That’s you twisting my words in a poor attempt to make me seem unreasonable. What I’m saying is that golf is a recreational sport that does not benefit in any way, shape, or form by having a dress code. If my wearing a jeans and t-shirt on the golf course offends your delicate sensibilities so much, you’re the one with the problem. Not me.
Well if I twisted words, I didn't mean to, but the point I was trying to make was wearing the proper attire to various occasions shows respect for the occasion/venue. Evidently you don't think a golf course is one of those venues, because it is a recreational sport. Ok, that's your choice, and probably many others. My choice is to enjoy complying to a golf course's dress code, and think it is good for the game to instill a sense of respect for other's feelings' by casual dress. BTW, you keep saying "dressing up, and formal", which is not the case. A golf shirt and shorts are formal? It is casual to most everybody else, but still looks good.

I also have to say I don't think I've seen a restaurant in Canada with a dress code beyond shoes/shirts/pants must be worn. Plenty of them are quite upscale. Definitely seen it in other countries though.

Also, dress codes are becoming increasingly lax - probably because the younger generations don't care for them. Casual dress is becoming much more common in the workplace, church, restaurants, and special events. I even went to a wedding a couple years ago that was shorts + Hawaiian shirts (it was Hawaiian themed at the beach).

Last edited:
So I play 99.9% of my golf in shorts. Even when it is 40 degrees out....So I have a bunch of rounds scheduled in Scotland for August and one of the places....and not one of the high name recognition places sends me a note of guidance to "eliminate embarrassment" that if shorts are to be worn.....knee high socks are required....Been down that road before. Knee highs look so lovely on me....Ha

Well if I twisted words, I didn't mean to, but the point I was trying to make was wearing the proper attire to various occasions shows respect for the occasion/venue. Evidently you don't think a golf course is one of those venues, because it is a recreational sport. Ok, that's your choice, and probably many others. My choice is to enjoy complying to a golf course's dress code, and think it is good for the game to instill a sense of respect for other's feelings' by casual dress. BTW, you keep saying "dressing up, and formal", which is not the case. A golf shirt and shorts are formal? It is casual to most everybody else, but still looks good.

Look, if a venue wants to put exclusionary rules in place, that’s totally their right.

Just don’t act surprised when people say they feel alienated and excluded because of those exclusionary rules.

No, they don't bother me.

If they ever do, I'll go somewhere else.

Look, if a venue wants to put exclusionary rules in place, that’s totally their right.

Just don’t act surprised when people say they feel alienated and excluded because of those exclusionary rules.
If you go back and read my earlier posts in this thread, what I’m going to say might surprise you.
After reading your posts, I have to give you credit. At first I thought you were being unreasonable, then, as you made your case, and calmly explained it over and again, I did a 180 with you.
I have a lot of respect for how you’ve handled yourself in this thread, and even though I’m in favor of dress codes, you’ve made me understand your point of view also.
Nice job.

I'm fine with 99.9% of dress codes.

I don't, however understand the knee socks or ankle socks that some clubs require...

View attachment 9003343
[/QUOTE]

Lol, decent shorts and a golf shirt is an exclusionary rule? Nobody's asking for a suit and tie on the golf course, just simply decent shorts and a golf shirt. It's not that difficult. Enough of this.

All I know is that if I walked up to any local Private Club and said "You know you guys are acting pretty damn exclusive!" they would respond with "Oh, thank you! We enjoy positive feedback!"

If you go back and read my earlier posts in this thread, what I’m going to say might surprise you.
After reading your posts, I have to give you credit. At first I thought you were being unreasonable, then, as you made your case, and calmly explained it over and again, I did a 180 with you.
I have a lot of respect for how you’ve handled yourself in this thread, and even though I’m in favor of dress codes, you’ve made me understand your point of view also.
Nice job.

Thanks. I appreciate that you were open to understanding my opinion, even if you don’t ultimately agree with it.

Back