Do Dress Codes Bother You?

Lol, decent shorts and a golf shirt is an exclusionary rule? Nobody's asking for a suit and tie on the golf course, just simply decent shorts and a golf shirt. It's not that difficult. Enough of this.

You seem quite angry lol. All he's saying is that it is, by definition, an exclusionary rule.

I know a number of people who view golf as a sport for stodgy old white guys - and to some extent they're not entirely wrong. Having a dress code that is stricter than any other recreational activity contributes to this view. Now, none of these people find wearing golf shorts and a polo particularly objectionable, but the dress code turns them off because of the (not entirely false) things they infer about the sport. Their reasoning is basically why would I play a sport filled with all these fickle people and inane rules when I could play another sport where everyone is much more laid back. Anyone who already likes golfing just deals with the dress code even if they don't agree with it because its a minor annoyance at worst.

Last edited:
You seem quite angry lol.

All he's saying is that it is, by definition, an exclusionary rule.
I don't know where you read that emotion into plain text, but I'm simply not angry at all:). It's just discussing the topic and no offense was meant at all. Sorry if you sensed that. I think I'm finished here, thank you.

You seem quite angry lol. All he's saying is that it is, by definition, an exclusionary rule.

I know a number of people who view golf as a sport for stodgy old white guys - and to some extent they're not entirely wrong. Having a dress code that is stricter than any other recreational activity contributes to this view. None of these people find wearing golf shorts and a polo particularly objectionable, but the dress code turns them off because of the (not entirely false) things they infer about the sport. Their reasoning is basically why would I play a sport filled with all these fickle people and inane rules when I could play another sport where everyone is much more laid back. Anyone who already likes golfing just deals with the dress code even if they don't agree with it because its a minor annoyance at worst.

Wearing any clothes, I guess, is an exclusionary rule.:LOL:

I believe some are wrapped up in a mind game of their own choosing. They have a perception of a white man's exclusionary club instead of the reality of golf today. A dark mirage of their own choosing. It appears peeps must conform to their ideals. The world doesn't work that way. It moves slowly, but it moves.

I go down the street during the week and every weekend to a public course, and I see peeps of all ethnic groups and nationalities - kids, teens, men and women of all ages, having the ability to wear shorts, pants, mostly polos, some in T-Shirts, especially kids, and no one has any problem. I don't see tank tops, saw some jogging pants, but no one seems bothered by what others are wearing - Sure it's a suburban mostly white neighborhood. But the kids are having fun, playing putting games with their mom and dad, instructors with kids clinics - a wholesome scene. You did not see that 30-40 yrs ago.

And I go to a a big city public muni, in both white and black neighborhoods, and peeps of all ethnic groups and nationalities wear decent clothes, and yes, you see more variety in clothing, but exclusion? Not that much, if at all, today.

The game is much more inclusionary now than before 1996.

I think peeps are making an issue out of something that is not really an issue when it comes to munis or public course. Maybe in other Countries and in Upscale Public and Private Courses - but where I live, it's not a big deal. Peeps need to wear clothes. Most peeps wear what is appropriate for the sport. Maybe one day there won't be any standard for clothes, but that day is not here yet. Look at the evolution of casualness since the mid-20th Century and in the past 25 years. Change does not occur overnight (most of the time). it's a balance.

All I know is that if I walked up to any local Private Club and said "You know you guys are acting pretty damn exclusive!" they would respond with "Oh, thank you! We enjoy positive feedback!"

”Thanks, that was exactly what we were going for here. We appreciate you noticing, now GET OUT OF HERE!!!” My kind of place.

Thinking about a golf hoodie tomorrow.... Uhh ohhhh

My daily attire is a golf polo shirt, slacks (or shorts in the summer), socks and shoes. So, except for changing shoes and a hat I'm ready to play anywhere at anytime. So no, dress codes don't bother me.

My hometown courses you're all good as long as you have some type of clothing on top and on bottom, along with some type of footwear that doesn't rip up the greens. Wanna wear a t-shirt with the sleeves ripped off and jean shorts made by cutting the legs off jeans all paired with some flip flops? No problem. These are munis.

Most courses around here are the same (shirt and shoes required), except one place specifically mentions "no cutoff shirts" while another mentions soft spike shoes only. These are public courses.

I think there are also a couple courses here that require polos and something other than jeans. One course is public, the other is a private club.

I wouldn't have a problem with any dress codes but I'd hate having to tuck in my shirt. If asked I would, otherwise it's untucked.

Think I saw Luke Donald in a golf hoodie on YouTube :eek: :ROFLMAO:
Morikawa wore one today (or yesterday, not sure but it was a grey one) I’m not a fan of the look, but what do I know? I had no problem with Nieman wearing joggers and an untucked shirt without a collar a few weeks ago, yet the golf sites went nuts, lol.
I guess the young guys sense of fashion is different than mine, and as some here have mentioned, if pro shops are selling these hoodies now, they have no problem with them.
Like you said, things evolve, and fashion always has. Guys our age can’t expect people 30-40 years younger to wear the styles we do*...
*even though I do cut quite the dashing figure on the course, if I say so myself! 😉

Wearing any clothes, I guess, is an exclusionary rule.:LOL:

I believe some are wrapped up in a mind game of their own choosing. They have a perception of a white man's exclusionary club instead of the reality of golf today. A dark mirage of their own choosing. It appears peeps must conform to their ideals. The world doesn't work that way. It moves slowly, but it moves.

I go down the street during the week and every weekend to a public course, and I see peeps of all ethnic groups and nationalities - kids, teens, men and women of all ages, having the ability to wear shorts, pants, mostly polos, some in T-Shirts, especially kids, and no one has any problem. I don't see tank tops, saw some jogging pants, but no one seems bothered by what others are wearing - Sure it's a suburban mostly white neighborhood. But the kids are having fun, playing putting games with their mom and dad, instructors with kids clinics - a wholesome scene. You did not see that 30-40 yrs ago.

And I go to a a big city public muni, in both white and black neighborhoods, and peeps of all ethnic groups and nationalities wear decent clothes, and yes, you see more variety in clothing, but exclusion? Not that much, if at all, today.

The game is much more inclusionary now than before 1996.

I think peeps are making an issue out of something that is not really an issue when it comes to munis or public course. Maybe in other Countries and in Upscale Public and Private Courses - but where I live, it's not a big deal. Peeps need to wear clothes. Most peeps wear what is appropriate for the sport. Maybe one day there won't be any standard for clothes, but that day is not here yet. Look at the evolution of casualness since the mid-20th Century and in the past 25 years. Change does not occur overnight (most of the time). it's a balance.
Every time you say “peeps”, I think of those yellow marshmallow chicks sold around Easter time.

What's worse... Joggers and hoodie or jeans and t shirt

Every time you say “peeps”, I think of those yellow marshmallow chicks sold around Easter time.

Have a girlfriend that says "peeps" and good or bad "humans." Just quicker to type.:D

I think a big part of one’s opinion on the subject depends on where/how you learned golf. I lived in Southern California when I took up the game and learned to play, and just about every course was collared shirt/no denim, so I just got used to that and it was the norm for me. To this day, even when I play courses with more relaxed dress codes, it’s always a polo and non-denim shorts - it just wouldn’t feel right to me to golf in a t-shirt and jeans.

For somebody who cut their teeth on a course where you could go out in cutoff jeans, a wife beater and flip flops, maybe the dress code I learned on would seem more “uppity” and oppressive - but in a lot of places it’s the norm and nobody even thinks twice about it. And then again, there are some people in life (not referring to anybody in particular in this thread, just speaking in general terms) who go through life looking for things to feel offended or oppressed by, and nothing will ever be acceptable unless they can do exactly as they please wherever and whenever they want. There’s no appeasing those sorts because nothing will ever be enough.

Maybe surprisingly, my home course doesn’t get the biggest pushback on their dress code from younger golfers - they’re usually more fashion conscious and dressed pretty sharp. It’s the old snowbirds who play on BFE rural courses back home where they can go out in their bib overalls or gym shorts and a t-shirt and nobody cares. They come here and just can’t believe that they can’t go out and play in their jeans, work boots and tattered old t-shirts.

Last edited:
Absolutely! You'll never catch me in a dress.

From what I’ve witnessed, dress codes for work, dining, church, and funerals vary much more regionally than dress codes for golf courses do. Muni courses everywhere allow t-shirts and denim and upscale resort and private courses don’t. Once I showed up at a funeral in Alabama in a short sleeve collared shirt and khaki pants(it was July and hot/humid) and I was the only guy in there without at least a sport coat on, lol. We were living in California at the time and my attire would have been normal for a funeral there.

No it’s not, but it’s not that difficult for you to mind your own business and ignore what I’m wearing either is it?

I don’t care if you want to dress up. Why do you care what I wear?

And you clearly missed the part where I said I don’t like wearing shorts.
If it’s a course with no dress code, then it’s all gravy.

If there’s a dress code, it’s “conform” or go home.

Pretty fair for the courses to be able to decide or dictate that.

I have no issues with a dress code, especially if it's a private or semi private club. On the flip side I have no problem going out to the course on a whim in shorts and a t-shirt and won't look down at anyone that does that. If a club has a dress code though I have no problem with it.

Neither a dress code nor the lack of one bothers me in the least. Completely up to the course's discretion as to what type of course they want. If we don't like it, golf elsewhere.

Because what I actually said was in response to the very first post in this thread; that dress codes are exclusionary, for no good purpose, and that they do alienate people from getting involved with the sport, myself included.

You may be one of the only people in the world who chooses not to play golf solely for the reason of not wanting to wear a collared shirt .

But as I've said in another post. The club is not excluding you with a dress policy. You are excluding yourself by not wanting to adhere to their code.

Dress codes are not exclusionary. Exclusion requires something you cannot easily change. I.e. sex, race, wealth/connections, etc. Not your willingness to tuck in your shirt.

The only time a dress code bothers me is if I want to grab a quick 9 on my way home from work, but can’t because I have my clubs but am wearing jeans and not “proper golf attire”.

What makes me laugh is that I can buy a bucket of balls and stand on their range for an hour or so in full view of everyone coming and going, but it would be considered gauche to allow me onto the course.

Back