Do Dress Codes Bother You?

I've been a part of an interesting debate on social this evening about dress codes and I am blown away by how many people are genuinely bothered by them. Some have gone so far as to say that dress codes (or at least adhering to them) are what's wrong with golf, and hinders growth.

Curious to know how you feel about it, and whether your course selection (to play or to belong) is impacted by their dress code policy.
Nope, not at all. Just as Ive said in various threads about hoodies or Jordans for golf: every sport has a certain uniform that you wear and for golf thats polos, non-denim pants or shorts and not basketball shoes. Dont like it? Go play something else.
Unfortunately, nowdays some people dont understand what respect and tradition is and they simply want to do what they want to do and its all about me, me, me. It is what it is. 🤷‍♂️

You may be one of the only people in the world who chooses not to play golf solely for the reason of not wanting to wear a collared shirt .

But as I've said in another post. The club is not excluding you with a dress policy. You are excluding yourself by not wanting to adhere to their code.

I know lots of people who are rigid in their thinking and spend a lot of energy being non conformists. My brother doesn’t own a collared shirt and still has a pony tail down to his waist at age 60. Since Covid started, my next door neighbor won’t go into any restaurant/business that requires wearing a mask. He has a lot of company here in northern MN and spent most of the winter in FL where not wearing a mask didn’t limit his choices much, lol.

I know lots of people who are rigid in their thinking and spend a lot of energy being non conformists. My brother doesn’t own a collared shirt and still has a pony tail down to his waist at age 60. Since Covid started, my next door neighbor won’t go into any restaurant/business that requires wearing a mask. He has a lot of company here in northern MN and spent most of the winter in FL where not wearing a mask didn’t limit his choices much, lol.
I know a few as well. Must be tough to see a doctor....

...Those damn exclusive doctors.

Im pretty ambivalent on dress codes. 9o% of the time I’m in shorts/slacks and a polo. The other times it’s really hot and I’ll wear a light athletic shirt and shorts.....I’ll pick a course that doesn’t have a problem with that.
now....if you are wearing a wife beater and cut offs I will judge your family tree and your folks parenting skills.

Nope, not at all. Just as Ive said in various threads about hoodies or Jordans for golf: every sport has a certain uniform that you wear and for golf thats polos, non-denim pants or shorts and not basketball shoes. Dont like it? Go play something else.
Unfortunately, nowdays some people dont understand what respect and tradition is and they simply want to do what they want to do and its all about me, me, me. It is what it is. 🤷‍♂️
So, my kids who can’t afford anything but the clothes they come to school in, but still want to learn the game of golf, shouldn’t come to the course because they have to wear jeans or sneakers, or tshirts?

So, my kids who can’t afford anything but the clothes they come to school in, but still want to learn the game of golf, shouldn’t come to the course because they have to wear jeans or sneakers, or tshirts?

I understand your point and it's a great one.

For my two children, when young, apparently a "kids exception" to the general rule of the dress code existed at most public courses. At least in my area. But when enrolling them in summer golf classes, they needed a polo. So many thrift stores in my area...

I have no problem with a golf course telling me what is allowed. Even where I am a member I consider myself a guest of the club and abide by their rules.

I'm playing this morbidl morning, long sleeve t shirt under a 1/4 zip golf sweater. Technically I'm cheating, but it's fully covered up and the temp went rise enough, so?. What's the ruling?

I'm playing this morbidl morning, long sleeve t shirt under a 1/4 zip golf sweater. Technically I'm cheating, but it's fully covered up and the temp went rise enough, so?. What's the ruling?

I have worn a silk thermal t-neck first layer under a 1/4 zip - it's good.

I need one of those, thermal silk, never heard of that.

I understand your point and it's a great one.

For my two children, when young, apparently a "kids exception" to the general rule of the dress code existed at most public courses. At least in my area. But when enrolling them in summer golf classes, they needed a polo. So many thrift stores in my area...
The thrift store thing is cool, but it’s still a massive barrier when dealing with the reality of what is the socioeconomic status of the vast majority.

I always find it funny around where I coach when it’s brought up by someone I tell them we are happy to take donations to buy the kids clothes, and that those nice pieces of apparel may very well change their entire outlook on life and their lot within it...but 9 of 10 times, there’s an excuse or general falling over their own words. It’s easy to say something and critique, its not so easy for most to willingly make a difference.

I need one of those, thermal silk, never heard of that.

Just a silk first layer 1/4 zip t-neck; very light, very warm. Great for winter.

Thanks, I'll look.

Morikawa wore one today (or yesterday, not sure but it was a grey one) I’m not a fan of the look, but what do I know? I had no problem with Nieman wearing joggers and an untucked shirt without a collar a few weeks ago, yet the golf sites went nuts, lol.
I guess the young guys sense of fashion is different than mine, and as some here have mentioned, if pro shops are selling these hoodies now, they have no problem with them.
Like you said, things evolve, and fashion always has. Guys our age can’t expect people 30-40 years younger to wear the styles we do*...
*even though I do cut quite the dashing figure on the course, if I say so myself! 😉

Yes, Morikowa, the fashion maven, wore the hoodie. Don't mind it at all. But no one ever wears the hood, not even me when I wear a normal hoodie and sometimes the hood is bothersome. I don't see the use but it's a look.

The thrift store thing is cool, but it’s still a massive barrier when dealing with the reality of what is the socioeconomic status of the vast majority.

I always find it funny around where I coach when it’s brought up by someone I tell them we are happy to take donations to buy the kids clothes, and that those nice pieces of apparel may very well change their entire outlook on life and their lot within it...but 9 of 10 times, there’s an excuse or general falling over their own words. It’s easy to say something and critique, its not so easy for most to willingly make a difference.
My home course is the home course for our local high school`s boys and girls golf teams. We hold a tournament every spring for the very purpose of helping the kids get what they need for the game, including clothes. There are ways to ensure the children are not excluded whatever their situation.

Good example. I refuse to patronize any business that makes me wear a mask. I don't feel they're being exclusionary, and don't take offense to their decision even though I don't agree with it. That decision is 100% my choice and it's entirely on me, not them. If I choose not to conform to rules that everybody else is expected to conform to in those places, I can't blame it on somebody else. If I really want to eat in a particular restaurant, or a store has something I need and can't get anywhere else, I know exactly what I need to do if I want to go in those places - it's simple, and whether I do or not is up to me.

I personally enjoy wearing slacks/shorts and a polo while playing but have no issue with those that choose to wear something else. That being said, with today’s 5 pocket pants and bolder polos, I think it’s certainly more relaxed than 20 years ago.

I welcome those to show up and play in whatever their comfortable in!

My concern is more whether we make those that are new to the game or with lesser means comfortable with their choices when coming to play. I recall being very conscientious of what I would wear when I started to play because I didn’t want to be the one that stood out like a sore thumb.

If it’s a course with no dress code, then it’s all gravy.

If there’s a dress code, it’s “conform” or go home.

Pretty fair for the courses to be able to decide or dictate that.

Look, if a venue wants to put exclusionary rules in place, that’s totally their right.

Just don’t act surprised when people say they feel alienated and excluded because of those exclusionary rules.

Yeah. I already said that. 👆🏻

You may be one of the only people in the world who chooses not to play golf solely for the reason of not wanting to wear a collared shirt .

But as I've said in another post. The club is not excluding you with a dress policy. You are excluding yourself by not wanting to adhere to their code.

Dress codes are not exclusionary. Exclusion requires something you cannot easily change. I.e. sex, race, wealth/connections, etc. Not your willingness to tuck in your shirt.

Except, that’s not what I said. I said that a venue has the right to enforce a dress code, just like I have a right not to patronize them if I don’t want to adhere to their dress code. I also said that I own golf pants and polos for when I want to play at a course that requires them.

Way back on page 1, @Canadan posted this:

...I am blown away by how many people are genuinely bothered by them. Some have gone so far as to say that dress codes (or at least adhering to them) are what's wrong with golf, and hinders growth.

He seemed to be completely surprised to hear that dress codes might be slowing the growth of the game. Throughout this thread, I’ve merely explained how dress codes have turned me off to being more involved with golf, and similarly turn others off to it as well. I’ve provided my opinion to give @Canadan a concrete example that people do find dress codes distasteful and that it does affect the growth of the game.

I don’t care if any of you agree with my opinion. I haven’t asked for any changes to be made to the game.

So, I’m done with this thread now. My entire opinion is out there, and I have nothing more to say on the matter.

My home course is the home course for our local high school`s boys and girls golf teams. We hold a tournament every spring for the very purpose of helping the kids get what they need for the game, including clothes. There are ways to ensure the children are not excluded whatever their situation.
Sure there are, if the people in the area are willing. Not all areas are the same, nor are those with, willing to help those without.

Pardon me for having further discussion. I’ll bid you adieu.

Sorry. That was a little rude of me. I just hit my limit of people in this thread implying I’m not aware that it’s my choice to conform or play somewhere else.

I wasn’t saying it’s something that needs to be fixed. I was saying that it does turn some people off to golf, myself included. That’s all.

Sure there are, if the people in the area are willing. Not all areas are the same, nor are those with, willing to help those without.
I’m all for helping those in need, especially children. My two favorite charities are Make a Wish and St. Jude. I draw the line at providing golf clothing for young aspiring golfers (I will donate old bags and clubs to the First Tee however rather then throw them out. I’m not sure how much good that actually does a kid, however.).
I picked up 4 pairs of slim fit khakis with flex waistband in different colors for $48 total this winter at the Gap Outlet, just to wear on the golf course during the winter. If a family can’t afford a $12 pair of khakis, I’m sorry, they’re not doing the child any favors sending him to learn golf.
The game is expensive.and I shake my head at some of the USGAs attempts to grow it. They’ll donate clubs and give poor inner city kids a 6 lesson thing, then poof! The’re gone, leaving a kid with a bunch of old clubs and no money to go play the game.
Not every sport is for everyone. When I was young, I played pond and street hockey but my family couldn’t afford to pay for a junior league program. Same with golf, despite living within walking distance of Bethpage Park. We couldn’t afford it, so I didn’t play.
I survived, and played sports I could afford.

Last edited:
I’m all for helping those in need, especially children. My two favorite charities are Make a Wish and St. Jude. I draw the line at providing golf clothing for young aspiring golfers (I will donate old bags and clubs to the First Tee however).
I picked up 4 pairs of slim fit khakis with flex waistband in different colors for $48 total this winter at the Gap Outlet, just to wear on the golf course during the winter. If a family can’t afford a $12 pair of khakis, I’m sorry, they’re not doing the child any favors sending him to learn golf.
The game is expensive.and I shake my head at some of the USGAs attempts to grow it. They’ll donate clubs and give poor inner city kids a 6 lesson thing, then poof! The’re gone, leaving a kid with a bunch of old clubs and no money to go play the game.
Not every sport is for everyone. When I was young, I played pond and street hockey but my family couldn’t afford to pay for a junior league program. Same with golf, despite living within walking distance of Bethpage Park. We couldn’t afford it, so I didn’t play.
I survived, and played sports I could afford.
So because they’re under means they should be given up on and not given access to golf. That’s absurd.

I guess I like dress codes to a point. There's no reason to arrive at a golf course looking like a mess but on the other hand I feel it can get to be too much. If a dress code gets too restrictive it just keeps many people away... but maybe that's the point.

Back