Do Dress Codes Bother You?

I like dress codes, it gives feeling of civility. The last ting I want to see is some guy out there in baggy old searsucker pants and a sleeveless undershirt with coffee stains down the front. Not to mention all of that Gorilla hair on his back.

Honestly, life's too short. There must be some common ground, I agree there are an abundance of cheaper clothes. I also agree that golf is looked at elitist, but sure how to resolve, but it really shouldn't be that tough.

Having said that with so many more important things facing earth, which seem unresolvable, I guess it's not really surprising.

I'm 61, I try not to let anything bother me, sometimes I fail, most of the time I don't, and ironically, my scores seem to improve when i just roll with it.

I don't belong to a club and likely never will. I think there is a ton of room between no formal dress code and folks wearing jeans or gym shorts and a tank top or a shirt with coffee stains on it.

I love that there is more and more variation in what's in style on the golf course. Joggers, spike-less shoes that look like running shoes, etc. are a far cry from the days of pleated pants and classic, two toned Footjoys. I feel like people can dress nice and look good without the confines of a super formal dress code. Please tell me why a collared shirt is more appropriate on the course than a well fitted athletic t-shirt other than "because it's what we've always done".

Golf IS a sport and we're walking around and active, aren't we?

*edit* - I'm way more concerned about how folks are acting on the course than how they're dressed. Have fun and don't be a d***.

Last edited:
I don't belong to a club and likely never will. I think there is a ton of room between no formal dress code and folks wearing jeans or gym shorts and a tank top or a shirt with coffee stains on it.

I love that there is more and more variation in what's in style on the golf course. Joggers, spike-less shoes that look like running shoes, etc. are a far cry from the days of pleated pants and classic, two toned Footjoys. I feel like people can dress nice and look good without the confines of a super formal dress code. Please tell me why a collared shirt is more appropriate on the course than a well fitted athletic t-shirt other than "because it's what we've always done".

Golf IS a sport and we're walking around and active, aren't we?

*edit* - I'm way more concerned about how folks are acting on the course than how they're dressed. Have fun and don't be a d***.
By that same logic why is an athletic t shirt more comfortable or athletic than one with a collar? It’s not as if the collar somehow gets in the way of movement, right?

I think that when you really get down to it you need to dress appropriately. Meaning dress comfortably but not lewd or in dirty clothes. Just use common sense, think of if your going to visit you Mother, how would you dress then. Would she be OK with it or would her eyebrows raise in the look of " your kidding right".

The dress code needs to match the condition of the course.

If FW’s are trash, greens rolling at 6, rocks in the bunkers then you as a course have no place telling someone they cant wear jeans.

if you want me to take myself seriously, then you as a course management, need to do the same

The pool is now open at my club, and the dress code is really having to be enforced.
People trying to walk to to the dining hall straight out of the water, dripping wet, half dressed.
Nooooope.

Back