Do enjoy attending PGA Events or rather watch on TV?

jdtox

Lord Tox
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Having a bit of a discussion about the pros and cons of attending an event. Especially a big event like the Ryder Cup, The Masters, US Open, etc. Having attended a US Open I didn't find anything special about it except the people I attended it with. It was memorable only for that reason, otherwise it was just ok especially at the course I went to (Erin Hills). I'll go to a local event like the Rocket Mortgage this year and enjoy it for a day but traveling to an event and spending a bunch of money to attend just 1 day seems like a waste to me. I'd make an exception ONCE for The Masters but other than that I'd much rather watch from the comfort of my home.

What say you?

There's typically more positives for viewing at home, but I'd like to take in a live event sometime.

Have attended the Presidents Cup, Pebble Pro-AM, Safeway and a couple smaller events.... each for only 1 day.... all were a lot of fun but missing action on the course when you’re on the wrong hole or in the back of the crowd was frustrating.... but worth the effort!

I prefer TV, but enjoy going in person. I’ve only been to the Houston Open and only for the past 5-6 years. This last year felt like a wasted trip though.

Problem with watching golf love is there are so many balls in play at one time and you miss the best of the action. IMO golf is best viewed on TV.

With that being said I would make an exception for a big time event like those just to be here and feel the excitement and experience. But from a pure viewing experience my vote would be on TV!

Erin Hills was such a disappointment since i was so far from the action. I thoroughly enjoyed the PGA championship since I was inside the ropes. However, I remember being underwhelmed years ago at the senior US Open.

I enjoy being there live for a couple of hours. After that give me a TV.

Interesting question because I have attended the US Open in 2006 and 2008, the PGA in 2013 and the Masters (practice round 2011, Par 3 2013). Obviously these were all great courses and to just see the course was in and of itself an attraction. The only exception is that I had actually played Bethpage Black several times before I attended the Open there. I also am going back to Winged Foot next June for the Saturday and Sunday rounds. Outside of the majors, I have rarely attended any professional tournament.

You will obviously see much more on TV than you would at the event. I think attending a tournament you have to decide whether to sit or stay in one spot or to try to follow players or groups. And if sitting you need to determine where. That being said, the experience of being there depends on the tournament and how many people are attending. This May, I attended the Senior PGA at Oak Hill. I also attended the PGA there in 2013. Big difference was the size of the crowds. The Seniors was much less crowded. It was a lot easier to move around the course this year. And even when the final two groups reached 18, you could find a place to stand with a reasonable view of the 18th green.

Also, you need to factor in that certain players (Tiger and Phil) attract huge galleries who follow them around the course like a swarm of insects. So, if you want to see these players it's best to figure out where they are and get a considerable number of holes in front of them and wait. And if you want to see the course with very few people around to impede you go to the opposite side of the course that they are playing. If Tiger is on the front; go to the back 9.

For non majors, I'd probably rather stay at home.

I go to the Shriners Open each year in Vegas and I always enjoy it. Normally I've just gone for Sunday, and usually just the last half of the day, but this year I went on Friday too. Friday was a lot of fun - fewer fans, more access to the players. Downside is that you might be following a group that doesn't make the cut.

Still, in the future, I think I'd like to continue to go Friday and Sunday.

I've gone to a few in the past, both alone and with friends or family. There were things I liked and disliked about each experience, really depends on what you are hoping to witness and accomplish for the day, whether you want to see a certain player, or just watch multiple guys and park at one hole, or a combo of the two. Overall I always like to either have a gameplan if it's just me going, or talk to the others and see what they hope to see.

I don't think this is limited to golf, but the experience on TV is just so much better.

But I've been to 2 PGA Championships, 1 US Open, and plan on attending the Ryder Cup next year.

For learning technique attending an event live is ideal. For example, from along side the tee boxes one can view grip technique, alignment, postures etc... These up close looks at fundamental technique are not available from a tv broadcast. Also, all around the course, and range, practice greens etc... one can get a sense for the easy paced tempo with which Tour pros play all their shots.

For learning technique attending an event live is ideal. For example, from along side the tee boxes one can view grip technique, alignment, postures etc... These up close looks at fundamental technique are not available from a tv broadcast. Also, all around the course, and range, practice greens etc... one can get a sense for the easy paced tempo with which Tour pros play all their shots.

Totally this. The only reason I would go to one again is if im able to get up close at the action. But if you are there to watch golf save your money and watch it at home. Especially at a Ryder Cup or something like that. You wont see much. For example if you go to a bigger event you will most likely need to get a spot and stay there. If you are greenside all you will see is whoever out in the fairway, see him swing, then wait for the PLOP! of the ball to hit the green Nearly impossible to follow it in the air.

I enjoy both. Following less popular groups is always more enjoyable though because you can tend to follow and walk the entire course with them, without big groups to contend with.

I'd prefer to watch Sundays from home though. That way you can see everything.

Never been to an event, so TV is fine for me. I think it would be fun to go one time just to do it, especially the Masters.

I've only been to one PGA event. that was an old NEC World series of golf at Firestone CC. It was really cool to see live when I was in high school. I haven't been back to an event since. However I want to get to the Waste Management Open and experience the 16th hole! And the spectacle that is everything but golf at that event.

I would like to experience going to one. I do think though, I would fall into the same category as any other pro sports that I follow and just prefer to watch at home and not have to deal with crowds.

Personally I enjoy the practice rounds better to see live. You can interact with the players more. I went to the PGA this year on Sunday, and would have much rather been at home watching on TV.

My wife and I went to our first PGA event this year, the Canadian Open, 1st round. Booked a hotel close by the night before and got to course around 7:30 AM and followed Rory & Sergio’s groups. Luckily was a beautiful day and we watched about 18 holes between the 2 feature groups and ended up sitting on the hill (in the shade) watching 5 threesomes finish their rounds. Got a high 5 from Rory coming off the 6th tee (I think) and was thrilled to see him go on and win. Anyway we wanted to always go to one PGA event while we can and it was great. Hamilton G&CC is spectacular course but very hilly and we were exhausted at the end of the day especially with a 3 hour drive home.

Unless I win tickets to the Masters, my watching days will be at home sitting on the couch.

I enjoy both. Following less popular groups is always more enjoyable though because you can tend to follow and walk the entire course with them, without big groups to contend with.

I'd prefer to watch Sundays from home though. That way you can see everything.
Agree with you 100% here. I have been to a number of events and I always pick a group that is a little off of the top end and get to really watch them go through their routines up close. I was at the 2018 PGA and the crowds following Tiger were immense, which allowed for a lot of quality time watching the others.

I haven’t been to a PGA event. I’m not sure I would enjoy it - too crowded, etc. But the LPGA and .com events in Portland are great events to attend. You can walk freely and see anything / anyone you want.

Having a bit of a discussion about the pros and cons of attending an event. Especially a big event like the Ryder Cup, The Masters, US Open, etc. Having attended a US Open I didn't find anything special about it except the people I attended it with. It was memorable only for that reason, otherwise it was just ok especially at the course I went to (Erin Hills). I'll go to a local event like the Rocket Mortgage this year and enjoy it for a day but traveling to an event and spending a bunch of money to attend just 1 day seems like a waste to me. I'd make an exception ONCE for The Masters but other than that I'd much rather watch from the comfort of my home.

What say you?

prefer to watch sports from home now

somethings I would like to take in live but it has to be special

I love going in person. It's awesome to walk around and see the pros in person.

I love going in person. It's awesome to walk around and see the pros in person.

I agree it is cool if it’s local however If I’m traveling for golf I’m playing golf, not watching it.

Back