Do golf balls really make a different to high handicappers?

JB and others who said to find same or similar ball for consistency are right on and assuming it is a “mid-price or lower end ball” one could theoretically bag the difference between the high end balls over a season, and use toward taking a lesson(s). Then while working on your game - get your teacher to recommend or test a ball. There are so many truly great balls at different price points around these days.

I believe a better ball provides better play. When I was 20ish HC, I played cheap balls, as I could lose a dozen in a round.

I then went to better balls, but bought them off the used sites and it helped my scoring. The advice I offer is this, go to the used ball sites, find some premium balls that are in the same price point as the cheap balls and use them. An AAA used ball (mid condition) will play really close to a new or AAAAA ball, and will be about $24 a dozen, maybe cheaper.

As a fellow mid handicap I can agree that a constant is a great help when it comes to becoming a better golfer. I find a ball that I really like the feel of and I start from there!

I do think the ball matters. I agree with JB, stick with one ball for a while. When I got back in the game after a long time away my swing was super wonky. Bridgestone had a non premium ball designed to go long and straight. That ball performed as promised and really helped my game for a long time.

Can't say I fully agree with everyone on this subject, only to the extent that play what works or feels good for your game and play a decent ball. I have tried all sorts of golf balls and can say that I would refrain from the real cheap balls. The rest? Well, it sort of depends.

Early in the year I was messing with a variety of balls from the Pro V1s down to some cheaper top flite balls - from 50 dollars to about 10 dollars. The balls did not really change my score at all and played and felt similar. I actually played better with the cheap Top Flite balls and kept finding myself going back to them time and time again. Seems odd, but that is the case in my experience.

My buddy found this low grade ball one day (I think it was a pinnacle cheapo) and he said "for the fun of it play this ball till you lose it." I played the ball and played every bit as good as I play with Pro V1s. Maybe spun a tad more, but not bad. We got to joking about that ball and now every time we find a cheap pinnacle on the course we get a chuckle out of it.

Another time he found a Bridgestone (E6) and it was pretty bad shape, jokingly I named it "scruffy"because it was scuffed up pretty bad and played that ball for quite a number of holes before putting it in the drink. It played pretty much like the rest for me. I have tried many different balls now and most I cannot hardly tell.

I will state that I do not like the "canny" tin can feeling golf balls as good as I do the slightly softer feel for impact, sound, and spin.

I believe a better ball provides better play. When I was 20ish HC, I played cheap balls, as I could lose a dozen in a round.
I'm with this. When I first started I bought the 24 pack Nike MoJo since it was like $20. I would lose 5-10 Golf balls in a given round, maybe more. Why am I going to buy a premium or better golf ball and only get a dozen for almost double the cost, if not more?

As with anything else in Golf, as you improve then you buy better quality. Nothing wrong with starting with a cheap set of clubs, everyone has, so why not get cheap golf balls?

No Golf ball is going to stay in play if I'm slicing it 80 yards or topping balls into water.

I would argue the higher the handicap. The "more" not less the ball matters.

Just checked. AAA Pro V1s are less than $20 a dozen. AAAAA Pro V1s are $24.

If you're a sub-100 player you are consistent enough for the ball to matter. Otherwise, giving up some greenside control (which you likely don't have in the first place) to shoot a 107 instead of a 109 really doesn't matter. This is my experience ... I learned how to play with a 2 piece around the greens until I became a consistent 90s and below player.

Given that high handicappers make more swing mistakes and are prone to losing more balls on average, I would suggest buying balls on the cheap.

You can score just a low with a Top Flite XL or Pinnacle than you can with a ProV1/Chrome

In fact, the ProV1/Chrome balls may hurt your game because of spin rates.
I couldn't agree more. If you tend to slice or hook like most beginners, the high speed spin balls make it worse. Personally, I play new balls but not all the same brand. I play TopFlites most of the time because they are cheap and score the same as when I play ProV's.

Funny, but I rarely see mid-cap golfers taking advantage of green side spin as they call it. They have a hard time hitting the green in the first place, to worry about being able to control spin or hit the ball to the proper small portion of the green to have their spin keep the ball by the hole. Either I am playing with the wrong people or mid handicap golfers can't spin the ball, and if they happen to be able to, have a hard time even hitting the green. I think where mid-cap and hire golfers can take advantage of a golf ball is on feel off the driver and putter especially. I like the feedback a higher compression golf ball provides over these newfangled soft golf balls these days. Also for a higher handicap, straight shots off the tee are probably a bit easier with a non urethane golf ball. Probably 12 handicap and under can take advantage of a urethane golf ball, above that I would say find one that feels good off the driver at a mid-range price.

I have found plenty of $20/dz options that work well for me. And I have not noticed a significant improvement with premium balls. The only thing I did notice is the Callaway Truvis did seem to spin much better for me on my chip shots. But that is the only real difference I saw.

Also, don’t shy away from high end tour balls because ‘you’re not good enough for them’. You can buy them used for cheaper than any new ball and they perform just as well as brand new. They spin more with the wedges and irons but any difference (if at all) in spin off the driver is negligible. They’re definitely not going to extenuate your slices/hooks.

my father was playing tour balls- I never noticed then when I did moved him to a soft low spin ball and it helped him. Many people think they should be playing expensive tour balls.

I initially select my ball on how it feels on my putter then ask if I can play it back to the tee.

I think all golfer should choose a ball that fits their game and stick with it so yes golf balls matter to high handicappers. Does it matter if they play a ProV1 or a Callaway Supersport? No, just pick one and stick with it so you know what to expect especially around the green.

Exactly what I would have said.

I'm sure this isn't the correct answer, imo if I were starting out or with a high handicap I'd prefer a soft ball, it doesn't need to be expensive either, a cheaper ball that's soft would be my preference. I say this because golf is hard, having a soft ball may help with feel. I think it would be tough using a hard ball and incorporating that into where your at in regards to your swing or how you feel about golf at that present time. This is all my opinion though.

I believe you need to play a ball that you can afford to lose, laugh about it, and not worry about it. If you are swinging at a $4 dollar ball and afraid to lose it,, you will swing differently, and it will hurt your game. Somedays I feel like diamonds and some days (now with leaves on the ground) I'll hit a lump of coal.

I believe you need to play a ball that you can afford to lose, laugh about it, and not worry about it. If you are swinging at a $4 dollar ball and afraid to lose it,, you will swing differently, and it will hurt your game. Somedays I feel like diamonds and some days (now with leaves on the ground) I'll hit a lump of coal.

I used to cringe each time I lost a TF Gamer Soft. Even though it was a cheaper ball.

I think it probably makes little difference if it is a really good ball and then it comes down to personal preference. I'm not sure I play any better with my Tour Bridgestone, my Pro V1's or my Chrome softs, but like all 3 because of feel.

With my slow swing speed the ball definitely makes a difference,

After I took 3 months of lessons and and started making way better contact with the ball I could def notice a difference in balls at that point. Went from a high HC to a lower mid one. Currently at 13. I go back and forth between the soft and the spinners as I call em. Trying to find the perfect mix for me. Price doesn’t matter. Trying out some Bridgestone E-12 Softs this week.

I found a ProV1. Started to play with it (I know, for some reason that guy I was paired with said I had no business playing with that type of ball) but I seemed to keep the ball in play better. (Hmm, since he moved up a set up tees and we were teeing it from the same spot on most holes, and I drove it the same distance as him on most holes, and he lost at least a half dozen golf balls and I didn't lose any, I'm not sure he should be telling me what ball I should or shouldn't play...) So I bought a whole sleeve as an experiment. Maybe it's a mental thing, but I don't seem to lose as many golf balls. Maybe I "respect" the ball more knowing it cost more? But whatever it is, I like keeping the ball in play and losing fewer balls. Odd, but maybe that makes it more cost effective than a cheaper ball? And my score improved. :giggle:

I don't know the answer, but I may soon find out.

I''ve been playing Wilson Ultra 500's at $10 per 15. At 66¢/ball I don't get too riled up when I lose one. And I lose them often. (Lost an entire box' worth in one game.) Recently bought a box each of Srixon and higher-end Wilson for their colors. $20/dozen.

I'll try to remember to update after I play 'em.

I dont think it really matters that much. A better ball comes into play where your more precise and can control both your distance and direction, where you can hit the ball to a very specific spot and get it to stop quickly.

Back