Do have an easily memorable "worst" round?

baylrballa

2024 WWGC Food and Drink Champion
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
>10
Something that sticks with you from a long time back or something since roughly your current skill level?

Purely just a bad score you can laugh at? Was there something on the line? Get 8&6'd in match play?

I have one round that will probably always stick with me. In our annual guys' trip/tournament 5 or 6 years ago, I shot a mid-80s round on the first day that got me into the final four. I went out the next day and proceeded to shoot a 104 - couldn't do anything right. It looked like I had just taken up the game for the first time that morning, complete meltdown. I mean, I didn't stand a chance of beating at least 2 of the 3 guys ahead of me anyway, they were sticks - but it hurt to totally s**t the bed like that.

Worst part was, we didn't see a beverage cart until around the 15th hole, so I couldn't even properly drown my sorrows!

I had probably my worst round in the last 3-4 years back in November when I shot a 92. Part of the reason it was so memorable was because I was the big money winner in our group that day. I had a sandy par on the first 2 holes which both count towards a tick. I then eagled hole 3 which is a tick for birdie or better and another tick for the skin. I parred 4 and then went off the rails completely from there. I had two more good shots which were our par 3 12th and par 3 17th. I got closest to the pin on both but missed the birdie putts to par. The closest to the pin is another tick so I ended the day with 6 ticks. Other than a few good shots it was an ugly day.

Although I have tried to block the horror of Crystal Lake from my accessible memory recall it is the one round and course that haunts to this day. I lost track of how many balls I lost or how many holes I recorded a DNF, but it was somewhere between 14-17. I remember buying a dozen balls before the round because they were a great buy. I don't think I had a single one when I finished. I had one lone par. It was has bad as I had played in years. Tops, chunks, slices, hooks, shanks, hosel rockets, you name a bad shot and I hit it. My buddy likes to ask me about once a month or so when I want to go back to play that course again. I threw a 7 iron at him last time he brought it up. I missed him due to the flashbacks from that round.

My first official tournament ever I shot a 127. It was part of the Houston junior golf program when I was 10 with a triple par max. Felt bad for my dad who had to spectate that one :ROFLMAO:

As a slight consolation, I also have my best round ever on that course which was 8 years later.

When I had been playing golf less than two years and couldn't even break 100, I got talked into joining some guys on an out of town golf trip. In early March, during a cold spell.

They were playing the roughly 6,400 yard tees on a fairly tough golf course. Our tee time was 9am but we had to wait until around Noon to tee off because the greens were frozen. Ended up playing the entire round with temps in the mid-upper 30's and a 15-20mph wind. Bundled up with pretty much nothing but my eyes and nose showing. Ball was going *nowhere*.

It was a stroke play event. I stupidly finished every hole and kept a scorecard. It was either 174 or 176 (got the scorecard in a box somewhere but can't recall the exact number) and there were guys with like 10-12 handicaps who didn't break 120. Worst five hours I've ever spent on a golf course. I lost nearly an entire box of a dozen golf balls and I think I was down to my last two balls when I finished. Did not hit a single GIR, only hit one or two fairways, had more three-putts than two-putts.

On one Par 3 I hit five putts on three separate visits to the green. It was like 160 yards playing straight into the wind. I hit a driver short of the front bunker. Then a second shot into the bunker. Two or three tries to get out. Then putted it into a different bunker. Couple tries to get out, putted it off the green into the rough. Hacked it on and then a three-putt to score 13 on the hole.

It was pretty stupid but at that point I was still buying into the idea that to be a "real golfer" you are supposed to finish every hole no matter what.

P.S. I only have one good memory from that day. One of the holes near the end of the round had a forced carry over some sort of huge ditch or ravine. Had to hit it like 180 yards to reach the other side or it was a lost ball. Fortunately, the wind was howling behind me or I'd have never hit it far enough in a million years. Even with the wind it came up a couple yards short of the fairway up on the far side of the ditch but hung up in the rough a foot below the top. I had to kind of reach over the edge, stretch out a wedge and pop the ball toward me to get it up where I could play it (probably not a legal golf stroke but it was close). I think I "saved" a double bogey on that hole and it felt like an eagle.

Last edited:
Many years ago in Martinsville, Indiana, I shot a 79 in a practice round, which not only had me feeling pretty good, but a bit cocky as well. Then came the tournament the following day, where I naturally proceeded to shoot something in the mid-upper 90s. I couldn’t hit anything right…probably the lowest I’ve ever felt on the course.

Nothing in particular sticks out about the round, but I just played terrible golf at Bald Head Island. Great course, but terrible golf. I hope to go back to redeem myself one day.

I had one last year where I played a new course for the first time. I played poorly and was stuck behind a foursome as a single. I lost my rangefinder on the 16th hole and only made it through 17 before it got dark. Just an all around round I’d like to forget.

Many years ago, in my first ever tournament at my former club. It was a member - member event and as a legitimate 14 handicap I didn’t come close to breaking 100 in each of the two rounds. It was just a bad weekend of golf for me.

I have 2 that come to mind. One was 15 years ago during a tournament that I got the shanks while my wife was caddying for me and the other was last year when it was very windy and I had 0 clue where my ball was going.

90 something with my wife and an 86 last year.

The memorable bad rounds I've had were AFTER I purchased new golf equipment. Hence, I still own my Cleveland rusties for my wedges. I finally upgraded my driver from my Callaway Square driver to the PXG driver and guess what................. yeah, almost triple digits.

Feel like my last round is always my worst round. Always leave feeling like I left strokes out there, regardless of how well or poorly I played.

one that is sealed in from at least 15 years ago: played the course that was the homebase for our college team. Think I barely broke 120 and was in a terrible mood throughout.

Recent: less than a month ago after shooting 4-6 rounds in the 76-80 range I shot a 102 at an NCGA qualifying event. Just played terrible the entire time, and sadly my partner for the day played even worse than me. Rebounded with an 86 the following day and a pair of 78s the next weekend, but was humbling to think I had made so much progress and then to really struggle.

Good thing about golf, just when you think you have it all figured it it will slap you right in the mouth.

Nothing really comes to mind as far as bad rounds that stick out to me. I have had a few bad rounds, but I have had some blow up holes that are hard to forget. It seems those stick more in my mind that the overall bad round does. I had one hole on a course last year that I swung and completely missed the golf ball off the tee box!

I have never missed the golf ball completely like that. Then I swung again and I hit about 90 degrees up a hill to the left. Then the next shot was bad too. Finally got on the fairway with the 3rd shot and next hit a horrible iron shot. I think I wound up with an 11 on that hole (Par 4).

Had no problems previous to the hole and once I got through the hole had no issues after that hole. Never had anything like that happen to me. It was as if my brain and body motion completely evacuated the premises on that hole. To this day I don't know what happened.

Probably 2 years ago playing with some coworkers. I couldnt hit anything other than the roof of the clubhouse. I hit it twice, dont ask.

A couple Christmas ago visiting my wife's family I had one that went off the rails and just refused to stop. haha Had a fresh build I was excited about and started off well enough, but it was just one of those days. I had an eagle and a couple birdies, but lost 5 or 6 balls, tons of penalty strokes, couldn't hit a putt over 4', plugged in a bunker twice, etc, etc, The lost balls were mostly from what I like to think was unintentionally bad advice from people who just aren't familiar with longer distance lines, and it was an unfamiliar course with tons of blind tee landings that ran like crazy. Usually into a creek. lol That round always comes to mind. The card was absurd.

Something that sticks with you from a long time back or something since roughly your current skill level?

Purely just a bad score you can laugh at? Was there something on the line? Get 8&6'd in match play?

Last round comes to mind. 35 on the front......48 on the back. I was not impressed with my lack of hitting a Fairway or green on the back. I really did miss them all.

Absolutely. So bad it's still easy to picture about 13 years later. First year I was playing took a 65 on the front and was determined to do better on the back then got a 16 on the tenth hole. Ended up with 130, think it's the worst I've had.

I always return to this one. Couple of friends and family members always told me I need to head to play this course in ploutsmouth or however it is spelled. Said it was a hidden gem. I get there and their range is this just pos. Then I start playing and the course is in terrible shape and just not set up well for me at all, super narrow in all the wrong places. DOESN’T help that I’m hitting everything short. I left after nine holes and went to my home course for 18. That 18 went well.

Any of the rounds I played after drinking on the night before, with the father of my ex who got me into golf. He was a resilient bugger.

Most of these happened on vacation in Austria.

I find that alcohol generally affects the quality of my hand-eye coordination (duh) even on the next day.

That's an easy one. A few years ago the wife and I were in Hawaii and playing the Hapuna golf course. For some reason, I couldn't hit the ball to save my life and shot 101 while the wife shot 99.
At that time my handicap was a 7 and my wife was a 20. She still brags about the time she beat me scratch. LOL

That's an easy one. A few years ago the wife and I were in Hawaii and playing the Hapuna golf course. For some reason, I couldn't hit the ball to save my life and shot 101 while the wife shot 99.
At that time my handicap was a 7 and my wife was a 20. She still brags about the time she beat me scratch. LOL
Brilliant 😃

Back