Do I need a wireless router?

ripper

Reaction score
Handicap
I have a question: I have seen a couple threads on here discussing which is the best router. My question is, do I need one? I run two laptops and Xbox Live and well, an Ipod off the internet and thats about it. I am not sure if I need a router or what would be the benefit of having one. Can anyone help? If it is something that would help, I would like to get one, but I dont want to throw money away for no reason.

I have a question: I have seen a couple threads on here discussing which is the best router. My question is, do I need one? I run two laptops and Xbox Live and well, an Ipod off the internet and thats about it. I am not sure if I need a router or what would be the benefit of having one. Can anyone help? If it is something that would help, I would like to get one, but I dont want to throw money away for no reason.

How are your devices connected now Ripper?

Nothing like a laptop in the bathroom to pass the time away. They are cheap. Do it up!

How are your devices connected now Ripper?

This. Not sure how you are running 2 laptops and XBox live simultaneously unless you have them hard wired into a manual (non-wireless) router.

I could not imagine not having wireless at my house.

This. Not sure how you are running 2 laptops and XBox live simultaneously unless you have them hard wired into a manual (non-wireless) router.

I could not imagine not having wireless at my house.

I imagine I am doing something wrong here, but what I do is find the wifi signal for my internet on each and connect with the wifi. They all connect that way.

Well, I basically have a modem from my ISP and I connect via wireless through that.

Sounds to me like that they gave you a modem with a wireless router built into it.

ETA: just saw your reply to my post - you already have a wireless router built into your modem. The only thing you may see from an external wireless router would be a faster connection if it was a speed classification of N versus G, etc but unless you are having problems or it is too slow I would leave as is.

I imagine I am doing something wrong here, but what I do is find the wifi signal for my internet on each and connect with the wifi. They all connect that way.

Sounds like you already have wireless internet. If you are able to connect your devices wireless now, then no...you dont need a router.

Sounds to me like that they gave you a modem with a wireless router built into it.

ETA: just saw your reply to my post - you already have a wireless router built into your modem. The only thing you may see from an external wireless router would be a faster connection if it was a speed classification of N versus G, etc but unless you are having problems or it is too slow I would leave as is.

Thanks man, that helps me a lot.

Cookie is right, you have a modem with wireless to multiple devices.

The only reason for a router is if your modem is hard wired only (no wireless) and you'd need to connect multiple devices to it at the same time. Routers kinda went out to a certain extent with the wireless age, but you can use a router in a situation where you have multiple; both wired and wireless devices and would like connectivitiy for all devices at the same time.

I use a router at home because A. My DSL modem doesn't include built-in wireless. B. My son has the older Arcade version XBox without wireless. C. We have a shared printer which doesn't support wireless as well. Everything connects to the router and the router connects to the DSL modem.

Thanks man, that helps me a lot.
On the N vs. G thing....remember that the network is only as fast as it's weakest point, so if all access points aren't rated at N, then you are still working at the G, so check before you spend money thinking you can speed up your network, and remember you'll need to start at the top and work your way backwards in order to achieve the fastest results.

Nothing like a laptop in the bathroom to pass the time away. They are cheap. Do it up!

I have been kicking around the idea of a dedicated bathroom laptop.

On the N vs. G thing....remember that the network is only as fast as it's weakest point, so if all access points aren't rated at N, then you are still working at the G, so check before you spend money thinking you can speed up your network, and remember you'll need to start at the top and work your way backwards in order to achieve the fastest results.

Thanks for the info 2Shoes, I think based on what you and cookie have been saying I am pretty much set as I am. I spent over an hour reading articles about this and you guys made more sense in two minutes, thanks!

I stacked a second wireless router onto the router provided by my ISP and that might work for you too. You may already have wireless but if that wireless router doesn't do everything you want to do you can hardwire a second router onto one of the LAN ports on that first router and gain some advantages. Routers are not hugely expensive. All in all it worked out well and my home network was upgraded significantly. By wiring it in to the original router I avoided having to hassle with any connectivity issues with the modem or the ISP.

As others have said, your ISP provided a modem with a built in wireless router, the only reason to add another would be if the current one is like mine...running wireless B....yep I said B...that's how long we have had it....so I bought a $40 wireless N router at Wally World, hard wired it into the current modem and we use the new one for all of our wireless connectivity.

Oh and as far as the bathroom laptop....that's what an Ipad is for....much easier to use while taking care of business..LOL

As others have said, your ISP provided a modem with a built in wireless router, the only reason to add another would be if the current one is like mine...running wireless B....yep I said B...that's how long we have had it....so I bought a $40 wireless N router at Wally World, hard wired it into the current modem and we use the new one for all of our wireless connectivity.

Oh and as far as the bathroom laptop....that's what an Ipad is for....much easier to use while taking care of business..LOL

Ha, no doubt, just a larger investment for a bathroom only item. Someone should really start a thread for this idea, it needs further exploration.

Preach on my friend...I love my iPad and take that thing everywhere (bathroom included).

Add me to the iPad while in the R&D room club. Love that about the iPad. Ive been looking for a belt clip case so I just wear it all over the house with me LOL

Ive been looking for a belt clip case so I just wear it all over the house with me LOL

Thought you already had one? Saw this on your FB images:

6228571364_5fe2cd1214_m.jpg

Sorry for the hijack...but yes - ipad's rock!!

Add me to the iPad while in the R&D room club. Love that about the iPad. Ive been looking for a belt clip case so I just wear it all over the house with me LOL

Would you put one in your bathroom for everyone to use? The touch screen could be a bit of a hygiene issue

And to answer the question yet again no you dont need a wireless router if you already have wireless. Here is very simple example of how most people will set up and need a wireless router.

wireless-router-network.jpg

Just wanted to bump this answer as a TON of people spend a lot of money on a router that is faster but since there network connection is not as fast they have thrown there money away.

Just wanted to bump this answer as a TON of people spend a lot of money on a router that is faster but since there network connection is not as fast they have thrown there money away.

How would I test this to know what my network connection is?

ripper, if you do have a wireless router/modem, are you able to navigate to it through your browser and adjust the settings? You want to lock it down so others can't connect to it from outside your house. Actually the first thing I thought of was that your computer was hard wired to it but your wireless devices were connecting to your neighbor's wireless. I hadn't thought of a modem/router combo.

You still want to get wireless N routers. All newer wireless devices are N now. Regardless of your internet speed you want your wireless to be as fast as it can be.

Back