Do looks matter? Would you play ugly clubs?

Which ugly clubs could you play?

• Driver

Votes: 17 25.8%
  • Fairways

Votes: 18 27.3%
  • Hybrids

Votes: 20 30.3%
  • Irons

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • Wedges

Votes: 14 21.2%
  • Putter

Votes: 19 28.8%
  • No ugly clubs!

Votes: 35 53.0%

• Total voters
Howitzer. BUT the rage at the time they came out.

I would only be able to make a putter that I considered ugly work.

what is the ugliest club ever? its those irons that are all fairway woods and made out of horrible metal for 79.99 i cant find em

I am willing to compromise very little on looks. I would take something that looks "okay" over fantastic if there was a notable gain in performance but I wouldn't play a set of Cleveland Launchers. A little thicker top line, bigger cavity and wider face are all things I will go bigger on to play better but within reason.

I don't think I could play flat out ugly clubs. That being said though, they don't have to be the prettiest either. As long as they look decent but perform then I am good with them.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder! I have played what others would have thought were ugly clubs (LAB Putter, Nike Covert Hybrid, Cobra Gly-Z green hybrid, square driver, etc), but it never really bothered me. With that said, I do think that non-traditional looking wedges and irons would take some getting used to.

I voted no ugly clubs. Others have already said it, but with all the options now, there is no way that you can't find something that looks good to your eye and performs great for you

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder! I have played what others would have thought were ugly clubs (LAB Putter, Nike Covert Hybrid, Cobra Gly-Z green hybrid, square driver, etc), but it never really bothered me. With that said, I do think that non-traditional looking wedges and irons would take some getting used to.

As someone who loved the Cleveland VAS series I agree 100%

This all depends on how ugly and how much gain I'm getting. Looks are very important and I'll admit that I probably won't even consider a club that I think is ugly, but if it's going to take 5 strokes off my game then I'll find a way to fight through the ugliness.

Last edited:
Yes for sure, granted that the result was good

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

I will play ugly clubs AND date ugly girls.

My Man, Was given the same advice at very young age? Date ugly girls, When they leave no one cares :ROFLMAO:

Also this fall put a supposed ugly 5 wood in the bag, when I pulled it out the boy's in my group where like OMG what the hell, and sorted other comments.
First swing was from the turf into par 5, smoked it just over 200 and have not heard a word since other than, what make is it? and where did you get that?

Can you play clubs that don’t suit you eye? Are there certain clubs where looks matter more than others?
Driver, fairways and hybrids for me. I love persimmon woods but I dont have the game to play them effectively and feel like I give up so much vs a modern driver. Modern metal woods are ugly but I can look past it.
I wont play ugly irons because theres really no performance benefit to ugly, SGI shovels. Same with wedges. Im yet to try a cavity back wedge that made the slightest bit of difference over a classic blade wedge. Same with putters. You can keep your ugly, oversized, Starship Enterprise mallets. I'll keep my heel shafted blades and Bullseyes.

My Man, Was given the same advice at very young age? Date ugly girls, When they leave no one cares :ROFLMAO:

It’s all fun and games.... Til you buy one a house.

Back