Do you actively read putts as they pass the hole?

I mean I'll take a look as they pass by the hole, realign my ball and roll it in. I am not going to walk around to look at the break.

I forget to pay attention sometimes and it costs me strokes.

Yes, you have to. Youre about to have that exact putt back. Golf is a game of data points and this is a good one.

I should be paying attention but I do not most of the time. :facepalm:

I do not, sadly. I should, but sometimes I just don’t pay attention because I’m annoyed the ball didn’t go in or I hit the putt so badly.

I try. Emotion sometimes gets the better of me. I also have a terrible "spatial dyslexia thing" where I see the putt break from the first putt but fail to invert that from the other side of the hole. I try.

Yes, and if you walk in front of me to get to yours while I'm doing so, I will whip your @$$.

Hell yeah, and chip shots. Even short pitch shots. That’s free information!

Always watch my putts and chips by the hole. Not a fantastic green reader so I use all I can to my advantage.

Religiously

Absolutely. It’s a free read.

I get a rough guideline on what it will do. But I try to think about how the speed of the comeback putt will change the break.

I've done much better at watching last season but I still forget pretty often. It's something I really need to work on next year.

I always watch them but I still screw up those 2nd putts more than I should. Knowing the line and speed helps but my lack of talent sets a very high hurdle to overcome.

Always, it is so important to make that comeback putt.

Depends how far past I hit it. If more than a foot or two, I try to pay good attention to what the ball does. It's a free read.

I constantly think I should do this but usually don't in the moment. Then I say to myself, "self, you should have paid attention to what that ball did." Then go on to do it again the very next time.

I try to watch but sometimes I get distracted. It is definitely something you should always do because it gives you insight to your putt. I try to watch my partners balls around the hole also to get a sense for how the ball will break around the hole.

Yup. It's the best read I will get for the return putt.

I wouldn't say I'm vigilant about it, because often I'm too busy rolling my eyes or looking away in disgust when I miss one - but when I think about it, I do try to get a read for the comebacker.

Yes...but unless it is a long putt i misjudged the distance I'm of the die it in the hole school of thought so it doesnt happen too often.

Nope but I definitely should

I get a rough guideline on what it will do. But I try to think about how the speed of the comeback putt will change the break.
Good point. If your first putt is downhill and the ball is slowing down at the end, it's going to break differently than the comebacker will when you're hitting it harder and uphill. Or vice versa. Speed influences the amount of break.

Back