Do you actively read putts as they pass the hole?

Since that’s likely the only way I’m going to accurately read the green? Yes. Yes I do.

It’s a great habit to get into and I do it regularly. I noticed my man Steve Stricker doing it and he is not too shabby of a putter so figure it’s a good thing to do.

Nope. Telling myself to read the putt past the hole is telling myself I'm going to miss the putt. I'd much rather just tell myself I'm going to make the putt.

Also, reading the putt when it's at its lowest speed may be deceptive when I'm coming back, as the ball will react differently just after being struck compared to its dying revolutions.

This is gold. In competitive rounds I try too and probably remember to stay focused on 70% of the missed putts/chips. Maybe less on recreational rounds with friends. But I know I get suckered into living and dying with the putts and are subject to the 4-letter word and eye roll as the putt misses. Its an area for constant improvement and probably something I'll consider for my 2022 golf goals!

YES!!

And I’ve also found that if I cut the miss distance to the hole in half on the comeback putt, I’m pretty well aligned...typically. (Ball misses the hole 4” high from the cup, aim 2” high on the comeback putt)

Yes, I usually watch the ball path after going by the hole.

Back