• It's pretty rare.

Votes: 10 11.4%
  • I launch rough rockets for a living.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Not a lot, but they happen.

Votes: 48 54.5%
  • I'm not sure they exist.

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • With the right (wrong) lie I'll end up over the green if I don't account for it.

Votes: 16 18.2%
  • The grass usually slows me down enough to balance out the face-bomb effect.

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • I live in the fairway. We don't get them there.

Votes: 2 2.3%

• Total voters

OldandStiff

AlsoBald
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
+
So help me out here THP. I feel like I hear about flyers A LOT. Infinitely more than I come across them. I've played over 50 rounds this year and I can only think of 1. That doesn't seem like something worthy of all the attention it gets. To me, a flyer has to actually go further. Whether it stays safe or puts you in the ****, it has to end up unexpected or unreasonably long. So to me, a tough lie that doesn't get good face contact and just flies differently, or lands a little short but rolls out to the same distance in the end because it had very little spin isn't a flier. And that's a common time I hear people say the word. So give me your take on what you consider a flyer and more improtantly HOW OFTEN YOU HAVE ONE.

I would say I have definitely had some. But the amount of times I've looked at a lie and said this might be a flier and it actually is a flier rather than a good shot, crappy tangled shot or fat shot is pretty small.

I think if you are a tour pro and you are looking to land the ball on a dime, then yes, to the likes of us, no. I certainly can lose spin out of the rough and see it roll out way past where I was aiming, but extra yards through the air? Never happened to me.

i tend to get flyers off the fairway? :facepalm:

I’ve seen them a time or two. Just like that time I saw a turtle on the course.

I get them from the rough when the grass is wet, but mostly in the form you describe of less spin so the shot doesn't hold the green. They are not common for me but I've had 3 or 4 that flew 5-10 yards farther than normal this year in 45 rounds played, not common enough for it to be anything that impacts my scoring.

Downwind is a much bigger factor here especially this year that has been one of the windiest ever. Yesterday on hole 17 I was downwind from the rough 134 yards out. I hit a full GW(51*) which is my 118 yard club and the ball landed 4 feet past the hole to a back pin and didn't hold the green.

For me, probably not. I'm not a consistent enough ball striker to actually be confident of what I would be expecting to happen. What I think is a flier is probably just one of those rare occasions I hit the middle of the club on a perfect swing.

If you're looking at it as a ball that is unreasonably long, probably one a round at least. The rough is pretty long and dry right now, so if the ball sits up, it can really go (i.e. 189 yard 9 iron long). Normally, I probably get about 10 extra yards out of the rough, but those extreme fliers are less common.

I remember all the talk of people getting flyers from the P790’s. Damn those crappy TM irons. Absolutely nothing to do with people putting a crap strike on the ball and occasionally hitting the sweet spot of course 🤣🤣🤣

Ball sitting up in the rough, yes.

Last week I had some tailwind 154 to a backpin. I had 7iron but felt like I was going to fly the green, and being long is not good.

I put back the 7, grabbed the 8, put a good swing. One bounce on the green and rolled off the back, tough 3rd shot coming back. Should've grabbed 9!!

I don't feel like getting yelled down by the non-flyer crew today.

The only flyers I get is when I overclub and make good contact.

For me, probably not. I'm not a consistent enough ball striker to actually be confident of what I would be expecting to happen. What I think is a flier is probably just one of those rare occasions I hit the middle of the club on a perfect swing.
Sums me up perfectly.
Usually followed by a wrinkled brow and a muttered "I don't hit this club that far."

I got one the other day, 8 iron flew 192 yards, overshot the green by a good 30 yards

I account for it. I didn't think they applied to me, with a slower clubhead speed, but they sure enough do. After flying one too many shots from the rough, I now usually go down a club.

I don't feel like getting yelled down by the non-flyer crew today.
Share your thoughts. No one's judging anything, and I'm genuinely curious.

I got one the other day, 8 iron flew 192 yards, overshot the green by a good 30 yards
I'd be pretty chuffed at hitting my driver that far.

Not very often, but I can usually tell if there is a chance of it happening. Just a matter of proper club selection.

If I am in the rough, I have a good sense of when to expect one so I account for it. I don't have too many I hit and get an unexpected flyer.

Idk. I probably hit flyers more often than I think I do. I know on longer approach shots into the green, sometimes the ball doesn't check up, and will run out more than wanted. I hit a lot of higher shots to prevent these longer run outs.

A ball sitting in the lighter rough is a good start for a possible flyer. Wetter conditions maybe?

At impact, the ball doesn't get a lot of spin on it, and has a carry that goes longer than normal. Once the ball lands, without a lot of spin, it will run out a little longer than normal.

Being a short knocker of the ball I could probably use more flyers...lol. The extra distance could actually help......if I could control it.

Right now in Ohio with the dry rough they are a pretty common occurrence. If you know how to read the lie and predict the flight the flier is easy to play. In last weekends round I hit a 200 yd 8 iron. When I got to the ball I could just tell it was going to come out like a rocket.

Last edited:
I get some flyers here and there but they aren’t all that common for what I can tell. If I miss by 8 yards in the air, I wouldn’t really know if it was me or the flyer. It has to be like 15-20 yards long for me to really know it was a flyer.

They exist. I think the disconnect here is that many people are assuming their one well struck shot a round is a flier, when in reality flyers are low spinning shots hit out of the rough.

Sums me up perfectly.
Usually followed by a wrinkled brow and a muttered "I don't hit this club that far."
That is precisely it. Couple of looks at the bottom of the club to make sure it wasn't the 6 instead of the 9 and then trudge through the back of the green with a wedge to try and hack it out of the brambles :LOL:

Back