• It's pretty rare.

Votes: 10 11.4%
  • I launch rough rockets for a living.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Not a lot, but they happen.

Votes: 48 54.5%
  • I'm not sure they exist.

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • With the right (wrong) lie I'll end up over the green if I don't account for it.

Votes: 16 18.2%
  • The grass usually slows me down enough to balance out the face-bomb effect.

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • I live in the fairway. We don't get them there.

Votes: 2 2.3%

• Total voters
If I get one, it is almost always from out of the rough. Maybe once a round if the conditions are prime for one.
How do I try to ward against them? I take less club if I think I am in conditions that I am going to get one.

Where's the option "Chunk the sh*t out of it making it go about 6 feet just to chuck it again"?

It's usually when I'm in rough but have a decent lie that I'll have a flyer. And boy, when it's in the air you just know it's going long...

I'm not familiar with the term - can you define it a little better for the slow kids in the room?

It's pretty rare for me - but then again, consistent ballstriking is not exactly the hallmark of my game either.

I consider a flier to be a ball that goes past your intended target from a lie not in the fairway. I’ve not have them happen often to me, but I’ve hit a few to know what one is when it happens.

That is precisely it. Couple of looks at the bottom of the club to make sure it wasn't the 6 instead of the 9 and then trudge through the back of the green with another ball to drop where it went into the brambles. :LOL:
Fixed that up for you.

Where's the option "Chunk the sh*t out of it making it go about 6 feet just to chuck it again"?
That was the 'live in the fairway' response! This is the internet after all.

"I launch rough rockets for a living."

funniest shat ive read today!

I agree with your definition of a "flyer" - it would be a ball struck from a part of the course (usually the rough) that travels further than you expected it to. This is with all other factors being equal in terms of contact quality, etc. When striking a ball from the fairway you are compressing it into the turf slightly before it becomes airborne whereas a flyer (flier?) leaves its resting position without any resistance and therefore the distance is exaggerated.

That being said, I can't really say that I get them. I do expect/anticipate that I will get additional yardage depending on the lie, but I can't think of many times where I've launched a shot so far over the green that I just stand there and shake my head. It just doesn't happen.

Nothing like a 160 yard PW when you want it to go 140 with a back pin. They are very real, and the faster you swing the more absurd they get.

I agree with your definition of a "flyer" - it would be a ball struck from a part of the course (usually the rough) that travels further than you expected it to. This is with all other factors being equal in terms of contact quality, etc. When striking a ball from the fairway you are compressing it into the turf slightly before it becomes airborne whereas a flyer (flier?) leaves its resting position without any resistance and therefore the distance is exaggerated.

That being said, I can't really say that I get them. I do expect/anticipate that I will get additional yardage depending on the lie, but I can't think of many times where I've launched a shot so far over the green that I just stand there and shake my head. It just doesn't happen.
Nothing to with less resistance. It comes from way less spin. 3000 less spin can get you like 15-20 yards with a 7 or 8 iron.

I don't get them often either but I had one just yesterday, although it came to rest nicely, only 15' past the hole.

But that's because I'd anticipated it.

Ball was sitting way up in the right bermuda rough, it hardly ever does that to this degree. 163 yards to the middle pin, slightly uphill shot, wind settled on this hole.

That's normally my 8-iron as to yardage but I anticipated less spin due to the propped and cradling rough and pulled 9-iron.

Took something off of that swing also, ball flew high and landed level with the pin, releasing about 5 yards.

There's no way on God's green earth that I'm hitting a backed off 9-iron 163 yards in the air without flyer-lie assistance.

Sure. I hit one or two a round out of the rough. They go a good distance and have no spin so they roll through the green. They are worse during the baked out dog days of summer also.

Nothing like a 160 yard PW when you want it to go 140 with a back pin. They are very real, and the faster you swing the more absurd they get.
See this where it confuses me. The few times I've had what I would call a flyer it's been in the 6/7 iron range. Maybe an 8 iron. I don't know how a loft as open as a wedge can really distance jump like that based on coming up the face or lack of spin. The club angle and natural trajectory wouldn't seem to allow for the that kind of percentage increase in that loft range. Flying a little long and rolling out a bunch I could see. I can think of one 9-iron shot of mine that could be a candidate, but it really isn't dramatic enough to assume anything past human variance.

I am sure it is a combo of swinging a touch hard and launching a bit low. But it happened today and it was a major head scratcher for me.

Even with my weak swing this time of year the Bermuda grass is a guessing game when the ball is in a "good" lie.

If the ball is sitting down and completely covering the back of the ball, it ain't gonna fly anywhere. More like hack at it with a GW and try to advance it 70-80 yards if I'm strong enough.

But when the ball is like 1/2 out of the grass, the fun starts. Catch it the tiniest bit heavy or come in really shallow and it will be 20, 30, 40 yards short. Catch it flush and/or steep and it will shoot out as much as 25 yards longer than usual. Fun, fun!

Yep, I’ve had a couple this year. Mostly when on damp grass. Most notable was when my 5W hit ended up at 236 yds; it’s usually a solid 200 yard club for me.

I’m not sure but I would think the type of rough you are in could play a roll in this. Thick deep bermuda and you are just trying to make contact and get it out and down the fairway. But you get a little bit thinner and you can still get solid contact with the ball but the little bit of grass can prevent the ball from catching the groove and getting the spin your accustomed to. I've hit a few that I thought were money and they sailed 10-15 yards long.

In the yes they exist but finding them in my game... Usually happens if ball is sitting up. Generally hitting in rough grass slows the club

I frequently get them. Flyer lies seem to be quite common a occurrence in the rough on courses I play. I‘be gotten better at recognizing them, but still get burned from time to time. Extreme ones from this year include a 188 yard 9-iron and a 210 yard 8-iron - both were downwind but still well over 20 yards of what I expected.

I’m not sure but I would think the type of rough you are in could play a roll in this. Thick deep bermuda and you are just trying to make contact and get it out and down the fairway. But you get a little bit thinner and you can still get solid contact with the ball but the little bit of grass can prevent the ball from catching the groove and getting the spin your accustomed to. I've hit a few that I thought were money and they sailed 10-15 yards long.

I agree with this. I haven’t played that many rounds on bermuda but I don’t think I’ve had a single flyer in bermuda rough.

I don't get flyers very often anymore. Flyers come with swing speed. If you don't generate swing speed you won't get flyers. They also happen more often for me if the rough is dry. I hit one yesterday but I haven't had many recently I don't generate a ton of swingspeed which limits them.

I agree with this. I haven’t played that many rounds on bermuda but I don’t think I’ve had a single flyer in bermuda rough.
Yeah in my experience, for the most part here in Texas you either have lush thick deep rough that is very hard to hit out of or you have short rough that isn't much worse than being in the fairway. Every now and then though you will get a little bit that isn't too thick or short and you can catch a flier out of that.

I went with its pretty rare.

However, they do happen. I more notice flyers when there is light moisture. Spin drops and the ball goes. Same with some lies in the rough. Ball just doesnt spin and goes.

That said, I think as an amateur I have a sizable chance of pulling the ball.

So yeah, I miss long sometimes but it's not to the point that I worry about.

Back