Votes: 13 10.9%

• Total voters

RealPretendPsychic

Ask me about the Callaway Apex CB’s!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Do you carry one? Why or why not?

I carry one because I like finding balls and I don’t like poison ivy!

Sometimes. Lots of water on my home course, and if I land in the drink and can see my ball, I'll fish it out - I'm not made of money!

But - I'm not going to sit there and pull out a dozen others! 20 second rule, and that includes taking out/putting back the ball retriever.

I carry one because I like finding balls and I don’t like poison ivy!
Ah yes, luckily poison ivy isn't something we need to be worried about up here! Great reason to have a retriever!

If I ever become "That Guy" ball fishing someone please push me and my clubs in the water! 😎

Sometimes. Depends on the course I am playing but several of them offer me the opportunity to collect a large number of balls in a short amount of time. Mostly I just pull them out and use them for hitting in to the woods behind the house. Sometimes I give them to buddies who won't notice the difference between a brand new ball and one thats been underwater for 15 years anyway.

I’m not a wealthy golfer so if I can get back a ball that I hit in the water or a few that others did, without holding anybody up I’m not too proud to pull out the ball retriever. I’ve got one that collapses down pretty small and fits inside a pocket on the golf bag. If the balls aren’t something I’d play they go in the shag bag for the backyard net.

Last edited:
Call me crazy or wasteful, but ... if a ball that I hit goes into the water, I don't want it. Gotta be something wrong with that ball.

Nope. Just no want or need.

I absolutely amazes me the number of people who complain about pace, yet think ball retrievers are okay.

At one point I was. Then I wound up with 5 gallon buckets full of premium golf balls that I was never going to use.

Simple answer is no.

I carry one and I use it as needed, but with that said I am not going fishing for balls and I am not going to hold up play. We play were there are a lot of snakes and other critters as well as several creeks so if I want my ball or a playing partner wants / needs their ball we get it quickly and move on. I don't think we have ever slowed anyone up when using a retriever.

Yes, small one, easy to store in bag pocket, use it on occassion, especailly when playing Pro V1s.

I absolutely amazes me the number of people who complain about pace, yet think ball retrievers are okay.

With great power to retrieve balls comes great responsibility to keep pace!

No not too hard up for balls so not going to do a ton of retrieving.

Call me crazy or wasteful, but ... if a ball that I hit goes into the water, I don't want it. Gotta be something wrong with that ball.
Exactly. That ball got what was coming!

I have one in my bag but can't really remember the last time I've used it. I'll bet it's been a couple years or more.

I don't have one. One of the guys I play with has a "super" ball retriever. If he gets to the course early He'll hit the "lake" holes and after 15 - 20 minutes or so will return with close to 50 golf balls, which he shares, and which we promptly hit back into the lake while warming up. Of course we keep any good ones for play.

Don't have one, haven't since the first couple years I started golfing.

Sign of a true hack...The ball retriever

no...i keep saying i'm gonna but then i figure if it's not with arm's reach, it's not meant to be mine....or stay mine :LOL:

Nope. I really dont want to inv tbe time into chasing mine or others lost balls. Wh3n i do find one that was obviously lost, its its rarely what i would consider a decent ball anyway

I've had one in a side pocket of my bag for a year and have used it to grab my own ball 5 times I think. 3 of those were to retrieve it from the hole which was over flowing with muddy water bubbling over the lip. I sure didn't want to stick my fingers in there and feel around for the ball. The other two were just down in a clear creek and I was certain they were mine. I don't go fishing for other balls and if someone asks to borrow it I'm not too shy to tell them, 'yes, but you only get one ball'.

Last edited:
Back