Do you carry a ball retriever?

• Yes

Votes: 16 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 90 75.6%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 13 10.9%

• Total voters
I used to, but I have long since abandoned that and now it's just a long poking device for around the house LOL

I mean I probably only use it one in three rounds if that frequently, but let me introduce you to one back nine that made me thankful I carry such a device 😆

I take it that those "w"'s are not for winning?

I find plenty of balls that I nab from range buckets that I would never need to carry a ball retriever in addition to the 5 dozen or so I buy every couple of months.

So what I’m learning is that if I put some in the water in Chicago, I need to hope I’m in your group @RealPretendPsychic
I mean yes I will retrieve your ball, but yes you will hear about it. There’s no such thing as a free lunch after all :LOL:
I take it that those "w"'s are not for winning?
I still have nightmares about that back nine!

Heck yes - paid for itself within a round or two I'm sure!

Yeah, it's called a 5i.

But I don't bother looking much past the grass, that's why I play affordable balls, shrug off and play on!

Yes, I own one and not ashamed to admit it. If I see my ball or a playing partner's ball easily reachable, I will get it. If my group has fallen behind...no, leave the ball(s) and move on. If I am waiting and have a moment, then I retrieve the ball.
Recently, I hit a shot that went into some thick underbrush. I saw what appeared to be my marking on the ball so I retrieved it. Yes it was mine. While pulling it out, I could see probably over a dozen balls very near mine. When I left, all those other balls were still there. It was a day when it was cart path only, swampy and we had a guy who was super slow playing with us. So no time to deal with other balls.

Not my thing, and I let out a sigh whenever somebody I’m playing with pulls one out of the bag.

I used to a few years ago, but now I use it knock down wasp nests after I've sprayed them.

Not at the moment, my friends usually carry one.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

I have one but no longer carry it. I do a lot of ball hawking, however. I can easily find a dozen balls - many of them pro v’s - while walking 18 and still be slowed down by those in carts not looking for them.

Last edited:
Yeah I've got one and bust out out every few rounds.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Yes. All the answers here seem to talk about water … I don’t know about the US, but many courses in the UK have thick bushes and hedges, sometimes brambles, where a retriever is needed to recover a ball.

If I ever become "That Guy" ball fishing someone please push me and my clubs in the water! 😎
Or the sands of Vegas amiright? Although rattlesnakes might be a decent reason to use one too.

Or the sands of Vegas amiright? Although rattlesnakes might be a decent reason to use one too.
We will leave the rattlers for Paradise to find, we'll keep ours in the fairways! 😎

If I put one of those in my bag the golf clubs would be insulted. "Like you don't trust us or somethin'?"

I've seen scary photos about why you never leave the fairway to look for your ball in Arizona.

If I put one of those in my bag the golf clubs would be insulted. "Like you don't trust us or somethin'?"
That’s an easy fix, you just need to have a heart to heart with them:

I am already frustrated because I hit a ball in the water... I don't need to add more frustration trying to find said ball and throwing back the countless others that I find in deplorable condition.

I've seen scary photos about why you never leave the fairway to look for your ball in Arizona.
Snakes, spiders, scorpions.....

A great use for it is to donate balls to your local First Tee organization or high school program. Played with a guy who said he’d donated over 1000 balls.

I hope everyone was good this year. The holidays are right around the corner and I expect many of us asked for the newest golf ball retriever that goes even further and offers maximum forgiveness.

Back