Do you build a putter from the head or the grip?

Paladin

Otter be golfing
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I was reading through some reviews, and I realized that finding a grip I really like and one I want to have on my next putter, if not every putter I get for the foreseeable future, has turned my views on putters upside down.

Would you consider building a putter or buying a putter starting with the grip you like and finding a head that works with it, or finding a grip that works with the putter head that fits your eye?

Grip I have had countless Putters that I hated the putter head/feel until I changed the grip.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Putter head. Nothing else matters for my preference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I find a head that fits my eye in the 350 - 355 gram weight range then I know what grip is going on it. So I guess it is a little of both. I know the head weight I want and I know the grip that I will put on it.

I find a head that fits my eye in the 350 - 355 gram weight range then I know what grip is going on it. So I guess it is a little of both. I know the head weight I want and I know the grip that I will put on it.

So if you found a grip you liked that changed the feel of the putter at that weight range -- say it's counterbalanced or super-light -- would that end up changing the putter head or its weight to suit that grip? Or would you not like the putter as a result of putting that grip on?

I start with what shaft orientation fits my eye/style. CS putters can be hard to come by.

So if you found a grip you liked that changed the feel of the putter at that weight range -- say it's counterbalanced or super-light -- would that end up changing the putter head or its weight to suit that grip? Or would you not like the putter as a result of putting that grip on?

I pretty much completely changed my putter collection this year and only bought putters with heads in that weight range because I liked the feel of a certain grip with that head weight and the putter at 34". If I absolutely loved a head that was lighter, I would add lead tape to the head to bring it up to about 350 grams. I am very feel based. Heavier than 355 grams is no go for me. I have tried to counter balance, put heavier grips, etc. on higher gram head weight putters and just did not like the feel at all.

Grip I have had countless Putters that I hated the putter head/feel until I changed the grip.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
This x10

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Until the past couple of years, I would have said the head, but now that there are such a wide variety of grips available, and having seen my opinion change so drastically on putter preference simply by changing a grip, I would say grip.

Interesting topic. I'd say more the headshape for me followed by weight and shaft configuration. I'm a wide blade fan and have models with center, full shaft offset, 1/2 shaft offset, and they all work well. I do think there's some credence to the grip argument though. I like the SS grips with the weight in them, but am open to others. Still have a UTx mega paddle on my SS12, which makes it out to the course from time to time.

I find a head shape i am comfortable with then a grip.

Back