Do You Butter The Bread For Your Peanut Butter & Jelly Sandwiches?

On your PB&J sandwiches, do you butter the bread?

• Yes

Votes: 7 9.2%
  • No

Votes: 66 86.8%
  • PB&J is for children. I'm not a child.

Votes: 3 3.9%

• Total voters

Duffer Seamus

C'mon ball, do your thing
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
My wife, who hails from Europe, thinks it weird that I butter the bread when I make peanut butter and jelly (PB&J) sandwiches. She thinks it carrying coals to Newcastle--at least on the peanut butter side. My mother always did it that way, so that's the way I've always done it. That got me to wondering.

For the purposes of this poll and discussion:
  • "Bread" = Any type of bread or bread-like product, including toasted
  • "Jelly" = Jelly, jam, marmalade, or any other type of fruit spread
  • "Butter" = Butter, margarine, or any other butter substitute

Just straight peanut butter for me, prefer chunky.

Never had one. It's on my list of things to eat though.

I most certainly do not butter the bread on my PB and fluff or PB and Nutella sandwiches. Ew jelly.

My distant ancestors hail from Europe and I agree with your wife. Never even occurred to me to butter the bread for my PB&J.

The only butter on a PB&J is the Peanut Butter. All other butters are not invited to the party.

(which reminds me of the Mitch Hedberg "club sandwich" joke. Go find it if you haven't heard it.)

Heavens no and the other no.

Nope. I don't taste the difference enough to make it worth my while.

Surprised your wife has an opinion on the nuances of PB&J since she's from Europe... Based on my experience, our trusty sandwich just isn't very popular over there!

Peanut butter on one slice, jelly on the other.

My Dad does. I mocked him....then I tried it. But no I never really add butter to the mix for a PB&J

Just straight peanut butter for me, prefer chunky.
This is the right answer. I only use butter if I fry it up like a grilled cheese. That's some good eating there.

you mean buttering the same sides as the PB and J - like, not on the outside for frying?

i know i shouldn't knock it until i try it but i'm going to knock it without trying it. that's weird, man.

Color me weird! Yes I do, butter then PB on one slice, jelly on the other. Don't make the rookie mistake of buttering the jelly side, the jelly slides off the butter like snot! 😏

Never, ever heard of this.

Butter the bread for a PB&J? I've never even heard of such a thing.

Just say NO ! to butter on PB&J

My grandmother used to do that but I agree it is unusual.

I've seen it done...don't have any desire to do it or even try it. WHY?!?! Butter AND PB. Not right!

I have never heard of this honestly.

My wife, who hails from Europe, thinks it weird that I butter the bread when I make peanut butter and jelly (PB&J) sandwiches. She thinks it carrying coals to Newcastle--at least on the peanut butter side. My mother always did it that way, so that's the way I've always done it. That got me to wondering.

For the purposes of this poll and discussion:
  • "Bread" = Any type of bread or bread-like product, including toasted
  • "Jelly" = Jelly, jam, marmalade, or any other type of fruit spread
  • "Butter" = Butter, margarine, or any other butter substitute
BTW - I've been to Newcastle and Hartlepool - Lovely towns.
I remember the Brits freaking out on PB&J sandwiches. They couldn't fathom it.
and no butter on a PB&J sandwich.

Back