Do you call penalties on others?

Unless there is money in play or in a tournament I don’t bother with what my playing partners do with their round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I played in a sweeps group yesterday that allegedly has a player(scratch) that improves his lie. He apparently tramps the grass down behind his ball or gives it a little flip to get a better lie.

If I see him do it, I'm calling it.

Nah, I don't normally call it. Now if he tries ragging me that he beat me and I know he cheated, I'll probably mention it then.

I used to play with a guy who notoriously miscounted his strokes in his favor. He'd hit a drive into the trees. Hit another tree trying to get out. Hit the bunker. Take two shots to get out. 3 putt. After the hole the guy keeping score would ask him "What'd you get on that hole Albert?" Albert would turn around using his finger to count his shots and say "I got a 5". We'd all laugh and tell him he's full of it.

I don't care if it's a casual round - but during a competition with something on the line, I'll work to educate first and then make sure they take the appropriate penalty. Most of those not calling penalties are not the PReed's of the world - they just don't know and have played that way for years. Can't fix things if you don't know.

If it's just a casual round with friends then absolutely not. You play your game and I'll play mine, your score is of no consequence to me really. I might chirp up if there is a genuine lack of knowledge about a rule but other than that I'm just minding my own. In a competition though and the intention is out and out cheating, then you're bang right I'm calling it.

Not a penalty on someone else per say..... Let me explain

This past weekend I played in my club championship. We were a threesome so we kept each others scores separately. However I did keep a separate card for all the scores. At the end of the round we all signed cards. I shot a 75 and Dale shot a 76. Trey was keeping Dales scores and I kept Treys scores. Dale kept mine. I knew Dale made a 5 on hole 9 and Trey wrote down a 76 but accidentally wrote a 4 instead of a 5 on hole 9. When we turned in the cards the pro entered in the scores based on the numbers per hole, not based on the total score we wrote down. When he finished Dales it came out to a 75. I spoke and said that should be a 76. So we looked at the card and realized Trey wrote a 4 vs a 5 on hole 9. Since they both signed the pro was going to DQ both of them for signing an incorrect score card. This bothered me since it was caught and Dale is my friend. On one hand I was like man I wish I had not said anything but on the other hand what if that 1 shot meant winning or losing. So at the end of the day we all got together with the pro and worked it out. The card was amended and no one got DQ'd.

I kind of felt bad but it was the right thing to do and he understood

Back