Do you call penalties on yourself?

Absolutely, and unequivocally yes. It is imperative in our game.

Absolutely. That's one of the basic elements that separates golf from other sports.

Yes. I have to live with myself.

It very well could have changed. This instance was about 2 years ago, but I am admittedly bad at keeping up with all of the rule changes.

Two years ago it was definitely a penalty. I believe this year that hitting yourself or your equipment is no longer a penalty.

If it oscillates and returns to it's original point I believe it is no penalty. It does depend on how far you consider an oscillate to be.
Thanks. Oscillate is a good description of the event. I thought if you unintentionally caused the ball to move, then it's a penalty stroke. Exceptions are on the tee box and putting green. If the same situation happened to my opponent, then I'd rather not know because a penalty stroke is unwarranted.

Up until I was chosen for the Morgan Cup, I did not really play in anything that scores mattered.

Now I count every penalty to the best of my knowledge so I have an accurate handicap

Good on you @ddec . Yes, I call them often. Pretty much have to call them on myself. My conscience and the golf gods would gang up on me something fierce if I didn't.

Last week during my league I made a big mistake in a rather big spot. Last hole, tied match. I hit my drive down the right side, under some trees. We were in a cart because the weather was not ideal, my partner was way left on the 8th hole. Go over to where he is, he hits back over to the 9th hole, drops me off, and goes. From 225 out, I take a 3w, play it back in my stance and shape a little left to right shot that misses the green left, but on a long par 4 was a good shot.

Until I walk up to the ball, and it wasn't mine. No nobody is around me, so I could play it off as if it is my ball, make my par of bogey and walk out of there with a win. But I didn't do that. Nope, first I looked to see if perhaps I was missing my ball, and then I took the drive back. My ball was about 10 yards from the ball I originally played.

So I did what I was supposed to do. I called the penalty on myself. Loss of hole. Tied the match. Missed out on the championship match by 2 points. If we had won the hole, we would have secured our spot in that match.

So yeah, big spot, I called the penalty instead of playing it off. What about you, do you call penalties on yourself if you know you broke the rules?
Absolutely. You did the right and ONLY thing to do. I would have ZERO respect for someone that didn't call such an egregious penalty on themselves. Hell, I call penalties on myself even when I'm playing solo. I had to two weeks ago. Grounded my club (by accident) in a bunker. That's a two stroke ouch, but it is what it is. 🤷‍♂️

I do if I know I did something wrong. I figure it's only right, as I do respect the game itself.

I'm tougher on myself, than on others.

Fortunately, I don't creat very many penalty situations for myself.

Absolutely. You did the right and ONLY thing to do. I would have ZERO respect for someone that didn't call such an egregious penalty on themselves. Hell, I call penalties on myself even when I'm playing solo. I had to two weeks ago. Grounded my club (by accident) in a bunker. That's a two stroke ouch, but it is what it is. 🤷‍♂️

yeah, I got some ribbing for it last night. But every single person who knew about it, told me something along the lines that they respected that I called it.

Yes. I have called penalties on myself in competitive events.

Absolutely. That's one of the basic elements that separates golf from other sports.
During street ball you would call a foul on yourself, rare but it happens. Though I do agree it's sort of specific to golf.

I just add them to my score, yep. I'm the one that needs to deal with the inner demons if I'm a big fat liar face who's a scoundrel and a cheat!

In a qualifier, I once left a ball in the bunker and for some dumb reason I hit the sand again. I immediately knew I screwed up and let my playing partner know. I was assessed a penalty.

Integrity is what you do when other people aren't looking... and you got integrity. Sorry it cost you position.

For the most part, and in my understanding of the rules, I add penalties. If I didn't, I wouldn't shoot triple digit scores. There's a limit to the number of penalties I add though in a round before it goes from golf is FUN! to self inflicted masochism and me hating whoever invented golf.:LOL: And, if I think a rule of golf is stupid (stroke and distance), then I'll complain to myself and probably add the stroke but not go retee. Or if I take relief from a bunker, then it's 1 stroke not 2 and I don't care what the rules say about it it's my score... unless I'm playing in a tournament (not gonna happen) or in a competition (not in my forseeable future) then, I'll be asking questions and scoring properly.

When I'm playing for score? Yes.

In the situation the OP describes, or in a sanctioned tournament, absolutely. It's a must! If not the integrity of the game falls apart. That said, when I and my buds are playing a casual round, we play pretty fast and loose with the rules.

I attempt to play handicapped rounds by the rules. I admit there may be situations I misinterpret, but I do my best. Fun rounds playing for nothing or not towards my cap, I will roll it out and fluff every lie.

I called one on myself in the 2013 Morgan Cup.

Back