?

• Woods

Votes: 114 93.4%
  • Metals

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • Other

Votes: 4 3.3%

• Total voters
I agree, but I didn't think it would be a shut out.
I didn't either tbh, but glad to see that THP members are properly enlightened!

Woods!
I resist change ;)

Since hybrids and irons and wedges and putters are made of metal, I can’t think of a more ambiguous term for fairway woods.

plus I started when they were wood. My dad had a persimmon driver. Now you kids get off my lawn!

I refer to them as "woods". "Irons" aren't made from "iron" either but we call them that so what difference does it make that "woods" aren't made from "wood".

I refer to them as "woods". "Irons" aren't made from "iron" either but we call them that so what difference does it make that "woods" aren't made from "wood".

Woods and I hit them “dead center”

Well I don’t specifically hit mine dead center on the face, but if I ever had a shot do it, that’s what I would say....;)

In my head they're woods, but I don't say it anymore. They're fairways, FW's, or fairway metals. 3F, 5F, etc works for me. We do it with 3H, 3U, and the rest.

Woods and I hit them “dead center”

Well I don’t specifically hit mine dead center on the face, but if I ever had a shot do it, that’s what I would say....;)

some still use the term, “hitting it on the screws.” Of course that dates you but age happens ( and is better than the alternative).

I think what also makes the change a bit undesirable is that it is easier to say 4wood as opposed to 4metal (extra syllable). It just seems to flow out easier. I also think if the PGA started exclusively calling them metals it would catch on with the rest of the golf world. They do sometimes, but not consistantly.

The only thing worse than “fairway metal” or “3 metal” is calling them “metal woods”. The first two are cumbersome, but at least they make sense. Nothing about “metal wood” makes sense at all.

If we called them metals because that's what they're made of, wouldn't we have to call every club in the bag a metal?

They will always be woods to me.

actually there is iron in the alloy. So not pure iron but certainly plenty of it.

I’ll see myself out now...:D

It's like calling wraps, leathers. That's not what they are anymore. Time to move on. Or something..

Woods

Woods

To me, the only thing worse than saying 3 metal is someone saying a hole is a 5 par instead of a par 5 :LOL:

They are like Madonna or seal... only one name needed... Driver and fairway...

actually there is iron in the alloy. So not pure iron but certainly plenty of it.

I’ll see myself out now...:D
Yes . As in 99%. Well ok up to 99.48% but who’s counting lol
Back on semi - subject, how about ironwood ?
That’s some hard wood there !

So can I call my driver a "Drift Wood" since it always drifts out to the right? 🤔🤣

The bigger, roundish clubs that go a long way, what do you refer to them as?

follow-up question.
Are you still able to hit a ball 'on the screws'?

Driver. 3 wood.

If I ever find the center of the face again, I’ll let you know if it was “on the screws”.

Driver. 3 wood.

If I ever find the center of the face again, I’ll let you know if it was “on the screws”.
That's called 'on the velocity rails' or 'on the radial weight' or something these days, old timer. :p

Back