Do you charge your kids rent?

Do you charge your kids rent when they need to move back into your home?

• Yes

Votes: 11 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 22 66.7%

• Total voters

ThatGuy

US Navy Veteran
Reaction score
Handicap
Nope
Imagine your kids move away for college, work, marriage, etc. Something, anything happens and they need to move back into your home.

Do you charge your kids rent when they have to move back in?

I have not been in that situation, fortunately, but I would not charge rent if it ever happens. I would expect them to work and help out by buying groceries and stuff like that.

I am always going to help out my children and baring a catastrophic event, they will have to contribute to the household in some way. It may not be rent in the literal sense of a monthly payment, but they won't be here and not do anything. Clean up, pay the electric bill, etc., something will be contributed.

Needing to move back in I assume they are not in a position to pay rent anyways. I would help them out as long as needed with the agreement to gtfoasap.

I am always going to help out my children and baring a catastrophic event, they will have to contribute to the household in some way. It may not be rent in the literal sense of a monthly payment, but they won't be here and not do anything. Clean up, pay the electric bill, etc., something will be contributed.
This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ is the best answer.

My lazy ass children would expect to sit around & do nothing. Nope. Not under my roof. My house, my rules.

Speaking from the kids side since I don’t have any yet... when I got my first job out of college about an hour from home, my parents encouraged me to live at home and save. Sure I had to mow the lawn and whatnot, but I think everyone was happy with the situation and it helped me build an emergency fund.

If my kids have to move back home it is because they have to not because they want to so I won't charge them rent.

Got no kids so I cannot say, but, when I moved back into mom's house at one point I paid rent, cleaned my own room, made my own bed, etc. I mowed the lawn, raked the leaves, shoveled the snow, and did whatever other repairs and maintenance I could do. So essentially it was a division of both labor and expenses. ISTM that's what adults do.

I have no kids either but when I was a young man, my parents asked me for rent money. I was an independent kid so I moved out and paid rent to a landlord. I believe a parents job is to prepare kids for life on their own. They shouldn't expect or depend on daddy to give them a free ride. Life doesn't work that way. I understand not wanting your kids to suffer and these days can be rough. Do what works best in your situation.

I am not really in that situation yet. My kids are 21 and 22. My 22 year old graduated from school in the spring and is actively looking for a job.

I answered no because I am pretty sure my wife would forbid it. I really think it depends on the situation. If your child has a good paying job, shows no real interest in moving out I could see charging them something to help cover their food and booze costs. I could also see charging them something for rent and putting it away without telling them then giving it to them to help with first/last on an apartment or a down payment on a house.

If it is a transitional thing with a lost job, moving or trying to save for a house I wouldn't charge them but would expect them to help out with some costs.

When I graduated from college my parents let me live at home rent free for a year then started charging me $300 a month for a bedroom. I moved out pretty quick.

I do not, but I am strongly considering it.

My son never picks up after himself. expects me to make him all of his meals, etc. I even have to bathe him! Time for the 3.5 year old to pay his fair share.

Kid who is a great player at a 2 hcp, has a tough go -got a college degree then lost job at Disney due to Covid and another job cut back hours and now he works in another city but comes back 3 days a week. Not charging and in fact helped him pay rent the first month other place but my giving to him is not indefinite.

My kid is in school playing soccer at our local university, and we pay for everything for him. It's my goal that when he graduates, he will not be saddled with any debt because house prices are crazy here in Vancouver, and I want him to be able to get into the housing market sooner than later to help give him a leg up.

I don’t have any kids at that age yet but if I did I would not charge rent as long as they are a productive member of society (good job or searching for one, helping around house, etc). Higher education is the biggest scam going right now, so I imagine many kids with student loans could use a rent free situation to help them pay down loans right after college.

Much to my daughter's disgust, I charged her rent when she decided to take a year off before college. When she started college, I gave it all back to her so she had a fall back saving pot.

I think she had blown it by Xmas.

My son is 2. So no.

My wife would kill me if I even mentioned rent to our youngsters.

We have two daughters, who when they were starting out in life, moved back in with us, with their husbands. Like everyone they ran into some rough times during their early years. I can now proudly say both our Daughter's families are doing just fine.

We do have a home in Henderson that we don't live in. We prefer the social distance from the Vegas Valley right now.

We have a Grandson living there, basically taking care of the place for us. He, and his friends (?) pays for the utilities. It's paid off, and we take care of everything else. Taxes, and maintenance stuff the Grandson, or his friends can't fix themselves. It's more of a college dorm now, than home. My wife and I usually have good laugh when we leave after a drop in visit.

We've had kids move back in and we didn't charge them anything as they just finished school or were still in the process of establishing careers.

When I was in my early 20's I moved back home because of a relationship breakup. I had a fulltime job so I did pay rent, though it wasn't asked for. I was there for a couple months, just long enough to set myself back up outside of my parents home.

No kids here but my parents have paid rent/bills for for 3 of their 4 kids to not move back home. I guess they figured we wouldn't leave if we went back.

Wife's son may end up here as he's working from home at least until June and can end his lease in January.

We'll use him to watch our dogs while we get out a bit, but won't charge him rent. He buys groceries and helps out, so will be good to have him home.

Also when I was in my mid twenties by parents had bought an apartment as an investment property. Their tenant left and I moved in with a friend from college. We paid the market rent at the time.

I'll answer for my in-laws: No

My wife and I sold our home in July and have been living with them for 4 months while our new home is being built. They refuse to take anything from us so we are going to have to get creative with finding a way to make it up to them.

In not sure how that would go as we have not had to face that situation yet. I’d give them a couple months rent free if they were unemployed after college but my tolerance would be low for cutting them much slack if they didn’t have a job shortly after they graduate. My wife is more of a softy so it will create some tension if we have to go through it.

When our oldest graduated from college she ended up getting a job in our hometown. We convinced her to live at home versus spending a ton on an apartment. We spent the year helping her learn about debt. Watched her not us pay off student loan and when she decided to go to Vandy for Grad school she stroked a check instead of going into debt. It was good for everyone. We loved having her and I think she learned about saving versus spending which they dont teach in school.

Back