Do you chase a Golf Handicap?

I was chasing 15...then it became too much about getting to 15...now, i just play. i'll probably get back to that chase after i'm up and about, and get a few more lessons here in the next month or so.

I used to, very much so. I wanted to get to scratch, only got as low as 1.2.

Then the game went sideways and now I'm struggling at times to keep my score under 90.

Oh well... the low scoring was really fun while it lasted.

A decade ago, I chased single digits. I got as low as 11 over a five year period. Now, I just want to better my handicap but without concern as to a specific mumber.

Keep scores for handicap but that’s it... just play laugh have fun and measure scores more as inconsistency

Use to do it when I was younger :ROFLMAO: and trying to get below 10.
I'm old enough now that those days are overo_O.
Still have some great rounds but does make me wonder sometimes.
Last time I was tracking was 12.1 couple years back.
I just play for fun nowadays...

No idea what mine is besides the unofficial one from 18birdies. Debating a official one next year incase I take the step to test myself and join a league.

I'd be happy to get back to single digit, but not holding my breath. My goal is just to shoot in the 70s most of the time.

Nope, I don't chase one.

when we use to play in our league i would always keep track of how i am doing ghin/handicap wise. who doesn't want to see that thing dip into single digits (it never did for me, 12 is the best i got to) but now we just play for fun, so i really no have no idea where i would be. obviously i have a guess, high teens, but not really sure

I like to keep an eye on my scoring average from my past 20 rounds (you can see that in the GHIN system). To me this is a much better indicator of performance level than handicap.

Curious as to who uses their handicap to determine how they’re doing in this game? It’s something I used to do, but really don’t anymore. Where do you sit?
Not anymore because my handicap is a +2.2, but I don't go out and shoot under par every time I tee it up. Now, I do understand that one's handicap is someone's potential, but I now believe in chasing one's handicap can put unforced errors in your game throughout the round!

I’ve never had a handicap, never had the need for one. If I’m not competing, how I perform in relation to a handicap doesn’t matter.

Curious as to who uses their handicap to determine how they’re doing in this game?
Currently, this is the only reason I track my HC. I don't compete and most of my scores entered for HC are solo rounds which of course are not eligible. When I post a score on the Breaking 100 topic, I try to include the differential of the round as the courses I play have a wide variance of difficulty.

I think both the score and differential are important in assessing a season.

I keep one and have focused on it pretty closely the last 5 or so year. It probably helped my game early on in that period but definitely has had me focusing on the outcome of each round and pressing some.

Now that I started using arccos towards the end of this seasons it's got me paying attention more closely to the areas of the game I need to make the most imrpovent to get to single digits cap rather than the overall score each round.

I'm still probably chasing numbers a little too much but it seems more beneficial to use them to focus on areas of my game to improve.

I don’t focus on my handicap but I update it, know what it is and am generally aware what an average handicap is, etc.

I guess I do, because it is my most objective measurement for how well I am playing. I certainly don’t do it for vanity reasons, but it is my way of competing against the game.

I have been, for sure this year. I’m not sure it’s a great indicator of performance improvement, but I do think that it’s valuable as an indicator of perceived performance. No one wants to say “I’m a 20 handicap” when asked the question.

My goal is to always improve - but my handicap is what it is. I don't chase a specific number, or set goals based on it.

I can't help but chase it to some degree. I love stats, numbers and figures, so it would be all but impossible for me to ignore it. I don't have lofty goals about improving it, but I do watch it as a metric of how my game is going in general. I don't play competitive golf, so the only time my handicap really matters for anything is our weekly men's club rounds.

I don’t chase a specific index unless there is an event that I want to play in. Generally I just try to shoot the best numbers I could every round.

Curious as to who uses their handicap to determine how they’re doing in this game? It’s something I used to do, but really don’t anymore. Where do you sit?
I just started tracking each score. Goal is to have a season averaging under 90. I was 90.4 this year

I keep one and it was something i focused on this year. But with that said it became too much of a focus and started to take "away" from the enjoyment of playing. Goal initially was to get to single. When I got to a 7 I've been chasing 5 but could never get there. Now I don't care so much. I just like being out on the course with my buddies.

I've learned not to chase it.Just golf and let it sort itself

Golf has taught me to focus on one thing. Playing the shot I have so that I'm in a good place for the next one. Sometimes that doesn't work out.

I shot an average of 91.7 eight of my last 20 rounds on a course rated 72.4/121. I suck at golf.

I started keeping one post Convid break this year because I thought it would be a good way to track my progress. I definitely find myself questioning whether it adds any fun. Sometimes I want to hit another shot because I hit a crappy one and it's more fun to hit a good shot. But it definitely has given me a way to track my progress. I don't have any need for one though. Haven't competed in anything.

I did years ago, not anymore

Back