Do you chase a Golf Handicap?

I do. I'm glad I did as well because it showed a pretty significant improvement compared to last season. Made all the work I did this last offseason show that it meant something. I'm chasing another number this year and that is anything below 5.0 and be able to maintain it. Whether or not I'm able to is a different story but I'm excited to work towards it

No, I did for a while, but didn't keep it up.

I chase a golf score... In result that would be a chase of handicap I suppose. Breaking 80s is more important for me. Than single digits, but I think we get to roughly the same point.

I want to play and score better. I follow my handicap because I want to know how well I’m doing in the golfing universe. And TBH it’s fun right now because it’s the lowest it’s ever been.

I don't chase it per se, but I do key in my rounds and wherever it ends up, I'm happy with it either way.

I definitely don't put pressure on myself either, every course and every round presents a different challenge. Some days you have it, some days you don't.

2021 will be tournament scores only for handicap for me. Better gauge of my IMO. I have goals so I guess handicap would be part of that. The moment (which won’t happen lol) I don’t have goals to improve I’ll find a new hobby.

I chased it pretty aggressively last year, just trying to get it as low as possible. My goal is to be a single digit handicap (then continue to try to get to scratch), mostly because I know that in order for me to get there I have to improve in certain areas. So the work and practice I’m putting in I hope to lead to score improvements that lead to achieving my handicap goals.

I feel like I have to have a goal in order for me to push myself to improve. But the goal moves as I improve.
2020 was my first year back with a handicap. I started the year at a 19, got as low as 10.7, but spent the last couple months of 2020 between an 11 and 12.

Started lessons this year, but really focusing on fitness, I am absolutely chasing to be a single digit cap by the Grandaddy.

Turns out golf is my handicap, or it's 13, cos that's how many clubs I have in my bag.

Currently yes, once I get back to mid single figures I'll be happy to remain in that zone.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Yes, I chased after single digits in 2020 for ego's sake. My quest was spoiled by a mid summer slump and a broken wrist in the early fall.

Never even really kept one prior to this year. My club is requiring all members to do it for some of the events we do. I was going to do it anyway as I am trying to make some strides this year and that should help me gauge how effective I am.

I definitely track my handicap and use it to push me. It is almost like goal setting, if you don't write anything down or set any tangible numbers you would like to achieve, it is hard to get better. Handicap among a lot of other data is so important in mastering this game.

The only reason I maintain a handicap is to gauge my progress. I don’t play competitive golf, but I want to get to a certain level with my game. So I track my handicap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Curious as to who uses their handicap to determine how they’re doing in this game? It’s something I used to do, but really don’t anymore. Where do you sit?
Nope. I dont even care really. I just go out there, hack the ball around, have fun and it is what it is.
I used to be someone who chased a handicap and it was always my goal to get to scratch but Ive grown and evolved in life to the point where my enjoyment on a golf course and my worth as a golfer is not tied to my current handicap.

Curious as to who uses their handicap to determine how they’re doing in this game? It’s something I used to do, but really don’t anymore. Where do you sit?
I keep up with it, but not to the point that it is the most important thing in my game. It is just a part as are many other things in golf.

I was really interested reading this and I have realised that I have and still do to a degree chase an improving handicap as a measure of how good my golf is.
Recently I have started using Arccos and find this much more informative as to the state of my game and interestingly have played better as a result, maybe there is something in not using the handicap as the definition of my golf.

Of course. Isn't the goal of golf to chase scratch?

Even if it wasn't, handicaps are discussed at the first tee every round when figuring out the game/strokes given.

I do for sure. When I got back into playing a few years ago I really wanted to work down to the single digits. I am a 9.6 now the low has been 9.1. The new goal is to see how low I can go.

Nope. I did once and when the results weren't there I got frustrated and started to dislike the game.

I used to be all about the handicap and where it was headed. When I realized that with my 6 months a year total at sea I was only going to get so good.
Now that I play a lot of Pro Ams a really low HP is not an advantage in most cases as you are giving a lot of strokes up to some really good golfers. ie, sandbaggers.
So now I keep one but don't follow it as intensely.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

I use it as an indicative measure of how my game is, but it lags pretty far behind day to day performance. I also use a lot of other metrics, so its by no means an end all be all and I don't stress about it. But I do look at it as a measure of my game.

I do, but not because I think there is some status associated, but more because it is hard point to use as a goal. Same thing with weight. I could lose 10 lbs and be less healthy than I am now, but I can use a target weight as a goal.

I have dropped my handicap about 4 strokes in the last 6-7 months, and while I don't feel like I am markedly improved, I looked at my scores and I can see that consistency has improved. I want to keep dropping because that means I am playing better. But I post all my scores, I know several people that only post the good ones... that I don't need.

I don't keep one purposely, but the app I use keeps me in a general ballpark. This year will be a fresh start im thinking and have no idea what will happen with recent reconstruction.

Previously I was focused on what the tally was at the end of the round. I can have some crazy holes and try not to look at the score until done. I generally have an idea and want to keep it below a number so that makes it harder to not tense up. Enjoying the round is the most important and not take it too seriously. The competitive me doesn't play along very well.

I used to be obsessed with it till really life got in the way - once my son was born 2 years ago I play alot less and enjoy my rounds with buddies more - of course we compete but I don't "chase" a HC anymore...

Back