Do you club up for colder temps?

badolds

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
12 est.
It was in the low fifties when I teed off yesterday. I was playing very well and found some of my well struck shots coming up short. It was in the mid seventies by the end of my round and the distances were back to normal. Is there a formula or rule of thumb that can be applied to get my distances in check on cold days?

Unless you know what the temperature was when you originally figured out your yardages, I don't think you can get an exact answer
Pretty sure I have seen/read something that says for every degree change you gain/lose 'x' number of yards, but I don't know where so can't help with the figure

I tend to adjust on the fly depending on how well I strike shots and how far short (or long in hotter temps) the ball finishes

Yes. 1/2 to full club. Kind of base it off my first 2 holes.

I am never on the course long enough to experience a 25* temperature change.

I'll let you know later today. Playing later today at a course I am very familiar with. Temps should be in the high 40s.

I played a round earlier this year where I was up 2-3 clubs. We teed off at sunrise and temp was 40° on the first tee. It was wet and freezing! Took me three holes to adjust and then length improved as the things warmed up and the dew burned off.

Mostly a club shorter then other parts in the season.

Always. Only one club usually but will always go up

With tee time temps starting in the 40's and bundled up, I find I can lose a full club in distance.

I've noticed a club difference for sure in colder temps.

Not scientific, but I base my averages at about 85 degrees. When it gets down to 40-50, I’ll play 5 yards more for wedges, 10 for irons, and 15 for 2 hybrid, 3 wood and driver

I will take a longer club in cooler temps. I will hit a 6i, even a 5i for a 7i distance as an example.

I do this because I am usually wearing more clothes. The extra clothes tends to slow my swing down.

Out here, colder weather in itself is not usually a problem. What is the problem is the north winds that are usually associated with the cooler temps. The wind chill factor is usually why the extra clothes come into play.

Dress in layers, UA works, so as to not be so bulky when swinging. Swing tends to get shorter, so definitely less club head speed. SO yes ..... my old ass is taking more club, sometimes 2 more & swinging easy when it's cold out. As long as it's not wind & cold, I can stand about 35* ... any lower than that & my feet will get cold. I hate playing with cold, wet feet. :eek:

I definitely club up in cool weather. Like many have said 1/2 to full club.

I club up in cold weather. I think for me at least it's a mix of the ball not traveling as far and being bundled up I'm not swinging as freely either.

I’m not consistent enough to have an exact distance for each club but over the course of a year I’ll play in temperatures that vary 60* F. I tend to gain or lose one club length each 20*. I see the changes in distance as combination of how much clothes I’m wearing, physics and comfort, though not necessarily in that order.

I’m not consistent enough to have an exact distance for each club but over the course of a year I’ll play in temperatures that vary 60* F. I tend to gain or lose one club length each 20*. I see the changes in distance as combination of how much clothes I’m wearing, physics and comfort, though not necessarily in that order.
Well there's that too lol

About 1/2 club sounds right, but that also depends on how well I'm swinging that day. I'll also use a softer ball during spring/fall golf and that seems to help some with feel (at least with putting and chipping anyway).

My group is excited as winter golf formally starts tomorrow and we have perfect winter golf weather (45 degrees, sunny, low wind). Dressed properly this is as good as 65 and in shorts. On the first hole, I make my best judgement on hole 1 approach and then adjust. Many days in the winter the greens will be rock hard from the freeze the night before so may need to be short and run it up.

In general, at least 1/2 club but ground conditions in many of our winter rounds trump air temps. I also find that the number of layers I'm wearing can shorten my backswing and this may sound strange but make me longer. Again, I read what happens on #1 and adjust.

Mostly from slower body, more clothing, and ground conditions, not as much from the actual temperature. Half a club maybe if it's cool. In Nebraska the air is usually pretty thin so it didn't seem to change too much there for me. Still figuring it out here.

Last edited:
I suppose it depends on just what ones considers cold. By some of the answers in this thread Im thinking enough folks are not talking about all that much cold.

Cold absolutely shortens clubs and In my experience its more than what many here are stating. hence why I mention it depends how cold one is talking about.

Its also in my experience proportionally shorter as the clubs get longer. Its not one club but is a percentage thing. And no matter where Ive ever looked it up , the real life experience (in my experiences) was always far more a difference than what is said. But back to proportional,.....Lose perhaps a club with pw but maybe 2 clubs with a 5i and very many yards via driver.

Temperature does impact how far the ball goes. I tend to do it more by feel. In the 50s I find it to be about 1/2 a club.

For sure I club up in cooler temps, sometimes 2 club depending on just how cold it is. Also the ball makes a difference. Back in the day when I could actually play this game, I would sometimes play the old Titleist Tour Balata, but only when the temps were in the upper 80's or into the 90's! Any cooler than that and it felt like you were hitting a stone, and they went nowhere!

Back