Do you desire to become a scratch golfer?

I am happy to see this thread resurface. I’ve been thinking about my golf goals. Next year single digits and then, hmm. I have turned the corner with my short game, and that gives me solid confidence in my skills and a foundation to improve my game and scores. I think I can easily play at an 8-10 hcp level and have a lot of fun for years to come. Maybe I can wiggle down a bit at times. Can I get to scratch? I am confident I have the skills and ability, so yes, but the question is if I want to do that. That will take great commitment. Will golf be more fun for me if I shoot 72 instead of 80? What do I have to give up to put in the time and effort? I am highly goal oriented, so having challeging goals is very good for me. I need get a committed full season under my best in 2020 and see what happens with the game and how that feels before I make a bigger yet goal. Having fun is the ultimate goal.

In a word, no. And then again yes I would love to become a scratch golfer, but I know it will never happen. Just the commitment to the practice wouldn't work out for me. I love golfing and all things that pertain to it, but I'll never be ready to live it. Besides I don't have that natural ability that makes better golfers than me.

I would love to be a scratch player but I doubt the game is anymore enjoyable at 0 as it is at 28. Frustrations would just change from not hitting the green to not hitting the right inch on the green. Less room for error off scratch ?

I used to, heck I used to think it was attainable. Sadly I have come to the realization it is not... for me. I don't have the time, the money or the desire to put in that much effort. If I can get back to being a solid 5-6 I'm ok with that at this point.

I do not think I will get to scratch, but I do believe I have mid single digits in me. That being said, I view that potential to be years away.

I would love to be scratch or +, but time restraints and age will never allow it to happen. I got to 4.8 one revision last year, and would love to go a bit lower.

I've been playing for 3 years. My handicap now is 21, which is the lowest its ever been. This year I've been able to break 100 somewhat regularly. At my age there is no way I could ever be a scratch golfer, and I'm perfectly fine with that. I would be happy to consistently shoot 90 or better, which is basically bogey golf, which is basically my goal. Honestly I don't care about comparing myself to others and worrying about their HC vs mine. I am a competitive person, but more so self driven to score better where I think my capabilities are.

I play golf for the challenge, exercise, friendships and the enjoyment being outside for a few hours.

I do. It's just a goal though. I think I have the ability, and I'm close to it, but all the years away and all the injuries might not let me quite get there. And if that's the case, I'm okay with it. I just want to be able to play close to my ability. Shooting an 80 earlier this year when I hadn't played in so long was just as much fun as shooting under par is now.

Not really. I'd like to continue to improve, but I'm all about incremental improvements not some unrealistic outcome. If I drop my handicap by one stroke per year for the next few years, I'd be very happy

I would like to get to scratch. Right now I’m the lowest I have ever been at 3.7. I think I could get there if I start playing the tips at my home course more often. The distance doesn’t bother me since I’m plenty long. I haven’t really done it up until now because my HC helped in my clubs tournaments. But now I’m in the first flight so HC are not mattering as much. It would be cool to get to scratch at least once. Maintaining it would be another story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do I desire to be scratch? Sure, I think all golfers do.

Do I aspire to be scratch? No, I don't have the time or money required to do so. For now, I'll settle for steady improvement.

I wish I was hung like a horse (desire).

I'm not going to sneak next door, cut off the neighbor's baby's arm and attach it to my pelvis (aspire).

I would love to be a scratch player but I doubt the game is anymore enjoyable at 0 as it is at 28. Frustrations would just change from not hitting the green to not hitting the right inch on the green. Less room for error off scratch ?
Things do change when you get to low single digits or scratch. For example, when you have a bad round, no one wants to hear you grouse about your 'bad' round.

I think everyone should aspire to make it to scratch! Is that realistic for a lot of players.....probably not. Life, work, family, other hobbies, travel, friends, weather, etc. sometimes fight for attention with this great game we play. But if someone put their mind to it, had time and a solid plan I think they could get close. Someone asked for the secret sauce. There really is none. Starting at a young age helps. Being flexible helps. Having good eye/hand helps. Having good course management helps. Having good swing mechanics helps. Working on your weaknesses helps. And on and on. Some will say work on distance, ball striking, short game, putting, new equipment. It's really everything.

:rofl:

Only if the first tee looks like this....
e11de38e29ee935fc473a46a9ee67bde.jpg

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

At this stage in my life I don't think it's possible to get to scratch and I'm completely ok with that. Even though I'm a 7 right now I do think I can improve and get back down to a 5, which is where I have set my sights on for next year. Life is just too crazy with a young family and honestly I'm probably not athletic enough to make it happen without a ton of practice.

I have never wanted to be a scratch golfer. I know my limitations and it was I had the ability to be a single digit handicap, but that was the extent that I wanted to work. Even getting there was a lot of work and a lot of hitting balls every day. There is a huge difference between a 5 handicap and a scratch golfer.

At this stage in my life I don't think it's possible to get to scratch and I'm completely ok with that. Even though I'm a 7 right now I do think I can improve and get back down to a 5, which is where I have set my sights on for next year. Life is just too crazy with a young family and honestly I'm probably not athletic enough to make it happen without a ton of practice.
Kev, this is actually one of the things I like best about golf. It's a game for a lifetime! I went through the same stage you are in now. When the kids were growing up there wasn't much time for golf. I got out when I could, which wasn't much. But I was okay with that. Now I'm at a stage of life when I can give more time to the game...and it's still there.

I'm revising my earlier answer. I think being as close as I am right now is making it reeeally hard not to want it bad, because I'm sitting here at 1:00 in the morning analyzing my scores to see if I have a shot at making it happen.

And I do, but it has to be now. One more bad, not actually bad, (+3 differential) round will get kicked out if I can post a good score this weekend. After that better scores will start getting pushed out and I honestly don't know how long I can keep my current streak of 5 straight under par rounds going. It's really freaking hard to have 10 of 20 scores counting that don't push you even a decimal over zero. I can't even fathom how I pulled it off as a kid, because I honestly think I'm better now. It had to be a distance thing.

The closer I get the more respect I have for the +s out there and what they can do. When you look at your scores and realize that if you have one bad day this weekend, even though you haven't so much as shot an over par round in weeks, that you'll go up at the next revision it really sinks in that it is no joke, seriously hard to get to scratch. Feels like even 2.5 was nothing compared to this. Mad respect for anyone that pulls it off.

Well, also considering that your golf season last for only 6 out of the 12 months we have......yea, it's hard. :p

• Sad
Reactions: KEV
Nah, I've never wanted to be a scratch. I have a few friends that are scratch or better, but I'd be happy shooting consistently in the mid 80s.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Not really. I mean I wouldn’t say no to it. But I would love to get back to being a low 10 where I mostly controlled my ball flight and things were easy / fun. I’d be very happy to get there again.

No. Not because of the work required, but because I don't have enough talent to get into the teens, much less scratch. Hats off to those who have worked that hard and have the talent.

When I first started playing, I wondered if a single-digit HC was possible. It didn't take long for me to know the answer to that. Lol.

Back