Do you die the ball in the hole or try for a distance past the hole? Do you change if it's uphill or downhill?

Majority of the time I ease the ball close, but really depends on the break and slope. Downhill and away I’ll ease it close but will pound it through on an uphill and in putt.

On downhill or big break putts I tend to die the ball into the hole.
On uphill or straighter putts I tend to be more aggressive with the stroke.

I try to go a foot past the hole, I took one putting lesson and that was what the pro recommended

Never up, never in is true but I’d rather be one foot short on a long putt than 4 feet past. My main goal on long putts is to never 3 putt. The odds on sinking a putt over 20 feet aren’t great so I want to get that first one as close as possible even if it means coming up a little short. On putts that I expect to make, I’m a bit more aggressive and don’t want to leave those short.

They did a study at Texas A&M (or Oklahoma or Oklahoma State, etc..) that 90% of putts that don't get to the hole, don't go in.
I'm fine with a 2-3' putt coming back, but get it there. Few things (outside of a hook) frustrate me as much as a putt dead in dying 6" from the hole.

I am die at hole. I've tried to go a foot or so past, but I never seem to get the line right when I add more speed so I usually stick with the die at the hole method I've used.

I have tried to be more aggressive on the 2-5 footers. Take some break out and be more firm has helped drain more.

downhill die, uphill charge, flat I'm typically in the realm of just wanting to get it there.

One bad thing about being over-aggressive on uphill putts is that you can leave yourself with a slippery downhiller/sidehiller if you're not careful. I hate having those knee-knockers left to save par!

The first few holes Ill try to just die it in there, if thats not working Ill try for about a foot past. Ill also try to remind myself that the next one is good regardless of which way Im putting.

I miss so many putts coming up just short. But my home course greens are sooo slow... I generally think, "Get it to the hole!!!" but probably need to be trying to get it past the hole.

My wife has the worst putting form (really doesn't line up square, stabby motion with poor follow-thru), but her philosophy is "What break? Just go at the hole!" and wouldn't you know it she makes a lot of putts... My buddy had his PB a day after playing with us and gave her credit for making putts based on her method. She had her own PB late last summer making like 7 one putts all beyond 6-8 feet. It was crazy... well, it drove me crazy... the card is still posted on the fridge. :confused:

My goal is to hit it a little past the hole. 100% of short putts don’t drop in

I have always been one to die it in the hole. I am actually trying to change that to hit more aggressively to hit the back of the cup.

I don't have a definitive answer because it depends on many variables.

Fast undulating greens? I'm probably putting more defensive and dying it at the hole.
Slow bumpy greens? I'm going to keep pace on the ball as long as I dare.
Uphill? Most of the break is at the end so I'll play these firmer and more aggressive.
Downhill? Just got to get it to the fall line and hope it makes it to the hole.
All of this is true for me. In addition, my pace depends upon how confidently I am putting. Sometimes, my distance control and confidence are higher than normal and I will be more aggressive. If I am not feeling confident, I tend to draw an imaginary 2 foot circle around the hole and try to put it into the imaginary circle.

Normally I am trying to stay on downhill side with any miss, so it varies.

Within 5' I am trying for 6-12" past the hole.

100% of all putts that don't get to the hole, don't go in. That being said, I always try to get it past the hole, especially on slow greens. Short putts I will try to take the break out of the putt by hitting it firm. Downhill I will try to die it, depending on the speed of the greens.

I've usually roll pass the hole. Not a fan on leaving it short.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

I'm a high capper with hopes of moving to Mid cap range in the next few years. I get the most enjoyment out of the game by playing somewhat defensively; on most shots, I play to avoid a blow up, rather than going for the longshot.

A more confident golfer might hit an 8' putt with enough weight to take the break out, I would likely aim to die at the hole and estimate the break. I will be happy to leave the ball close enough to tap in the second shot on anything over 6'.

As my GIR becomes more respectable, I will probably become more aggressive on my putting and at that time, hit with weight to stop 1-2' beyond the cup.

Back