Do you do charities?

Stryker

#NothingFeelsLikeAMizuno
Reaction score
I know how charitable this community is by and large. I would love to hear about how you guys help out in your communities. It is one of the most blessed things I think we can do is help those in need. Especially this time of year when we have so many holidays and the weather can be so brutal in some areas. So how do you charity?

Our local association of realtors has a community outreach committee that does multiple things to support this area. This is my third year on the committee and this year I am serving as co-chairman. We pick a local charity each year to raise funds for through 50/50 drawings are our monthly meetings and our annual golf tournament. The last three years we have supported our local area Veterans Council. Along with my co-chairman, we handed them a check from last year for $16,000. I suspect this year will be a little more even though we were hurt a bit by COVID. I have been the main person to plan and run the golf tournament all 3 years and while it has been a huge load, it has all come together and worth it in the end.

We normally do an event at a local nursing home too where we provide entertainment, refreshments, and spend time with the residents but we’re unable to do that this year because of COVID. We also normally try and do some Habitat for Humanity work, clothing drives, and food drives but with COVID again this year we were unable to do these things.

In years past, we would contact social services for the local city and four surrounding counties and provide an Easter meal and baskets for kids of the families. That was also not done this year because of COVID concerns.

I am happy though that we were able to do our normal Thanksgiving meal support which is usually done the same as Easter. This year we ended up taking care of Thanksgiving dinner for 6 local families.

We also do the same at Christmas. We are currently in the shopping phase for the families this year. Thanks to support from 2 of our local brokerages, we will be able to support 6 families for Christmas. We have a budget of $150 per child to buy clothing needs and a toy or 2. We also provide the parents with a $25 gift card they can use and Christmas dinner. We can load up a full size truck for one family with $150 per child budget and I love making those deliveries because you can tell it is much appreciated and always more then they expected.

The main one our family does is Ronald McDonald House, as we had to use them when our 4th kid was born and was in the NICU after 24 hours of birth for a week. That foundation and what they do is just incredible. Before we needed them I never really knew what they did just heard of them. But now each year on my sons birthday we give a big donation and cater dinner for the families that are there.

We do. We have a local St Jude's Ranch in town. We are always donating stuff there, or purchasing stuff from there little store. Back in day, I would volunteer a crew made up of various trades, and we would work on their buildings as needed.

My wife donates her considerable nursing skills from time, to time to a free clinic that is run by another family member.

Where we live now, there are a few older folks who we both help out with maintenance, some medical, even an occasional ride some where. My wife makes it a point to check on a few of the older shut ins on a daily basis.

I just finished removing/replacing an older Lady's bath room floor, and replaced some bathroom items. Local businesses wanted $1500 to do the work. She didn't have that kind of money. Myself, and a Grandson did it for under $100 just for needed materials. We didn't charge her.

My Wife, and I don't mind helping others out as needed.

My wife is the HRO for a fairly large local nonprofit and on the executive board for another. Both deal with kids and she pours her heart and soul into them. I take care of the hvac and general maintenance for the local animal rescue.

throughout the year i donate a little here and there to a few organizations. its small amounts but every little helps.

I’m the president of a non-profit youth sports organization. I also donate to a variety of local organizations

Of a sort. Yes.

What’s really awesome is I posted the original thread right before I had a sales meeting at work. My company just stepped up and is taking care of one of the families now as well. I changed companies at the beginning of this year. My old broker was a very generous person as well but my new company is very small by comparison. It is really awesome to see that I work with such amazing and generous people every day at a company that is less then a year old.

We've been long time supporters of St. Jude. We also contribute to our local animal shelter and the shelter on St. John. Throughout the year, we help with our church stocking the local food pantry, are "on call" for any specific, exigent needs that people may experience for which they seek assistance from the church, and help with the cooking for our meal delivery to those in need. At Christmas, we do at least two children from the Angel Tree at church.

Being a heart attack and cancer survivor, I contribute to the American Heart Association and Cancer Society.

Contributing monetarily is great but service work is so much more fulfilling for me.

One of our local grocery stores has food bagged up for families in need, so we pay for 1 or 2 every time we go through the store. We also do the operation Christmas Box. Since a lot of things have changed this year we are letting the kids chose charities for giving Tuesdays during the month of December(this may continue if kids want).

We have a few things we are involved with during the year. We have FARE (Food Allergy Research & Education) that we donate to and fundraise for with walks since our daughter has an anaphylactic milk protein allergy. We are also involved in local things like Angel Tree, Food Pantry, and the local music department. Plus on my wife's side of the family at Christmas instead of presents we do a Secret Santa for the person's charity of choice. My dad loves to garden, so he uses his garden to grow veggies and then will donate them to the local food pantry.

We have some we give to. This time of year we always pull 3-4 names off the angel tree in our small town to make sure kids have some Christmas presents to open.

Monetarily I’m no longer in a great spot, but I’ve donated lots of my time being the youth football coach and league commissioner as well as coaching baseball.

I have a couple HS golfers that I work with for free. Most of them have better swings than me, lol, but that doesn’t mean everything. There are things I can do to help them in terms of alignement, teaching how to properly warm up and practice, etc etc.

The golf coach isn’t a golf teacher. He has made that clear. He basically just evaluates the talent and tries to put them in the best position for the team to succeed.

Only one of the kids has ever taken official lessons, so I saw a lot of 20 bangs with a driver and I’m warmed up type things going on. I spoke with the parents and the coach prior to volunteering to help out. One of the kids made it to state and put up an 82/78 on a super hard (OSU Scarlet) course. Super proud of him. He didn’t place high but that 78 differential wise was probably his best round ever by 4 strokes behind his 82 on day 1. My kid missed qualifying by 1 stroke, sigh. 4 putt on 11 got in his head and he reeled off 3 triples in a row. Played the rest of the round -1 but missed it by one.

I love teaching and coaching kids and I’ve coached teams where my kids haven’t even been on them. I could have done without the headaches of being the league chief, my phone was very busy those seasons.

So not a lot of true charity work. More helping kids while doing things I enjoy.

I volunteer for charitable work that my company organises like speaking to school children from inner cities and helping elderly folk with tech issues. It's all via Zoom which is a shame as person to person would be much nicer.

We support Ronald McDonald thru work....we have sponsored a child thru Compassion International for the last 5 years...wife and I are discipling a kid thru Youth For Christ.....my wife is on the board of Bessies House, but KCMO in their infinite wisdom, shut down the house because of no sprinkler system

We donate annually to Gleaners Food Bank and to the Salvation Army. More locally we donate regularly to our favorite local cat rescue and adoption group and donate stuff for which we no longer have a need to a local thrift store, the proceeds from which aid disabled folk.

We run an annual golf tournament that benefits the local youth baseball organization and their scholarship fund in my father's name. This year I've participated in a school for autism's fundraising events in the form of a 5k and bike-a-thon. Also donate to the local police department's "stuff a cruiser" event at Christmas time.

I donate my time throughout the year to charity golf events and help raise money. I hit drives and sell them to the teams and then donate all the funds collected to the charity. The most recent one was my niece's school.

I donate my time throughout the year to charity golf events and help raise money. I hit drives and sell them to the teams and then donate all the funds collected to the charity. The most recent one was my niece's school.
Wow thats a fantastic idea. Find a guy who drives it a mile and have people pay him on one of the holes to hit their drive. I know we could raise a ton for our tournament that way!

Wow thats a fantastic idea. Find a guy who drives it a mile and have people pay him on one of the holes to hit their drive. I know we could raise a ton for our tournament that way!

I think we charged $20 a group and raised close to $600 this fall. I kept hitting until I found a playable ball and offered to help hit 2nd shots into a par 5. It was a really fun day!

hey another big one is we essentially buy the albatross club and part of that goes to st jude!

St Jude's through here...
Other things throughout the year and such. I'm not going to brag about what we do because that's not the point in doing it... at times it seems like too much help; at others, it doesn't seem like its enough. Suffice it to say it's not a lot compared to some, and it's a whole lot compared to others.

We all give when we can and what we are able to.:D

Albatross member and United Way payroll deduction.

I think we charged $20 a group and raised close to $600 this fall. I kept hitting until I found a playable ball and offered to help hit 2nd shots into a par 5. It was a really fun day!

The way my tee balls go anymore I’d either have to pay them 20.00 to use mine or I’d run out of balls.

But damnit, put me inside of 175 right now and I’m yelling at it to go in. I’m just flat out hunting pins the past couple rounds. Can’t buy a putt but I can live with a bunch of tap in pars.

Back