Do you enjoy golf more now than when you first started?

camden_kid

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
I'm just beginning my golf journey but I really enjoy it. It's so different to anything I have done before to a certain extent. I like being on the course, taking lessons, buying equipment, interacting with folk on THP, etc. I'm looking forward to the years ahead hopefully improving and experiencing more of the golf life.

However, I read on THP sometimes folk saying that they had to give up golf because it was affecting their life in some way. Or small changes creeping into parts of their play (loss of power, no longer hitting those irons, etc.) such that it no longer became enjoyable. Mental health also sometimes comes up as being affected.

Did you enjoy golf more when you started? Has it been consistent fun? Or have you fallen out of love with golf after a while but carried on?

Yes, 4 hours on the course with friends did not mean nearly as much to me when I was 13 as it does now.

I wouldn't say I fell out of love with the game, but I went through a period of not enjoying it as much when I lost my dad as it was a reminder that he got me into the game to begin with, and I was struggling to concentrate on playing due to memories and thoughts of him coming back to me

It took a little while, but it got easier to deal with and I got back to playing and I say that getting my handicap down to single figures was done for him as it wasn't something he was ever able to manage in the years he played
Now I enjoy the game a lot, and having Jen playing as well means we get to spend time on the course and playing together in club competitions makes it even better (Please don't flame me for enjoying playing golf with my wife when I know some people play golf to get away from theirs :LOL:)

Honestly, I think I enjoyed golf more shooting 120 than 80. There were no expectations, I didn't have nearly as much in the way "scar tissue" & it flowed better. Now, I expect myself to accomplish certain things a certain amount of the time. But I'm working on a new outlook, I don't do it for a living and as long as it's hit (contact) well there's not much more than I can do. Accepting that bad holes happen.

I absolutely enjoy it more now than when I first started. Aside from my performance being (moderately) better, I make sure to not take a round for granted. Being outside with friends for a couple hours is such a nice distraction from work, life, etc.

I think that I enjoy it more now, but I probably don't love it as much as I did 15 years ago. I used to love going to the range to hit hundreds of practice balls and chip and putt for hours. Now, give me a round or two a week with minimal practice time and I am a pretty happy camper.

For me, my rounds look so much different than when I first started to play and I don't mean necessarily what I'm shooting (I've improved lol).

I started at 16... By 17, it was a place where my friends and we could go to discretely drink whatever we could find laying around the house without being hassled. We all practiced frequently, but golf days were "Let's play and then go have a party at whoever's parents were out of town." I loved "golf" back then, but the game was secondary. We had a lot of fun on our golf days though.

Now at 33, I'm all about the actual golf part. I practice almost daily and play once or twice a week. Half the time, I don't even drink on the course (which still blows my mind each round I don't). The after round parties have turned to a nice lunch or dinner. Friends have wives/kids, so we plan our rounds about a few weeks in advance. Then there's that little thing called a career, and golf is undoubtedly my biggest escape from that. These days, I'm much more appreciative of just being on the course with my friends and the opportunity to play as often as I do. Appreciation leads to more enjoyment, I think.

My game is better now as is my overall health. But in the beginning it was me and dad. Dad passed about 15 years ago. I cherish every minute i got to spend on the course with him. Just as much as i do those few rounds i get to play with my golfer daughter.

I enjoy it more now than in my early years. My frustration level is lower (even though my expectations are higher), and I have a better perspective. I'm not looking to make golf a career, so my scores don't matter to anybody but me. Sure I like to shoot well, but for me it's all about staying active, enjoying the outdoors and spending time having fun with friends. Whether I shoot 73 or 103, nothing in my life is going to change and I'm no better or worse off after the round because of my score.

I enjoy playing more than practicing (although I love practicing short game), so my practice sessions are limited. I'm not going to turn something I enjoy into a grind and spend thousands of dollars on training aids and lessons when there are no benefits to anything other than my own ego.

Last edited:
For 45+ years, I've always liked playing, and practicing my golf game. Golf actually had me put a perfectly good bass boat in moth balls. However, these days, I am more appreciative of still being able to play my golf game, such as it is.

At 42 & playing for almost 20 years, I'm still enjoying it as much if not more as I did when I first started. It started as an excuse to hang out with friends, doing something outside. It's morphed a bit from that for me over the years. I still find it rewarding for the original reason, but also as a way to unplug from the hassles of day to day life, work, etc. I enjoy the technical/scoring aspects as well, but the escape for me is probably the biggest personal value.

Enjoyment is pretty much the same but appreciation/satisfaction for a good, well thought out round is waaaaaaay more.

I had a friend who was a scratch golfer, and gave the game up for several years because it was driving him crazy. Every time he went out and shot a round that didn't live up to his high expectations he'd pout, slam clubs, throw temper tantrums and basically act like an ass, even when the round didn't matter for anything (not in a tournament, no money on the game, etc.). He couldn't handle it when he had a bad day, and it would put him in a bad mental place that made his game even worse because of the frustration and anger.

He wasn't trying to become a pro, only occasionally played in tournaments, there was no reason for him to be that psychotic about his game other than pure ego. He threw his clubs up in the attic for 2 or 3 years and didn't even want to talk about golf, he completely withdrew from the game. Eventually he missed it too much and came back to it with a new attitude (I haven't golfed with him for years, so I don't know if his "new attitude" held up or not).

Yes I enjoy it more now. When I was young I tried way to hard, then I got married, had three kids, two girls and a boy. The middle girl was disabled and took a lot of our time to care for. It really puts life into perspective as to what's important and what is not. I even gave it up for a long while, now retired I just go out and play and enjoy the friends and the game. I still on occasion get upset with myself over a poor shot but by the time I get to the next shot I'm pretty much over it and laughing at myself with my partner.

I do love the game more than when I started. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed it at the beginning, but as time goes by, my passion for the game continues to grow. When I am forced to take a break from the game due to injuries, snow, etc, it drives me nuts till I get a club in my hand and I'm on the course.

Absolutely! When I first started (and for far too long after that) I had unrealistic expectations and found the game frustrating. Now I enjoy playing with friends and challenging myself.

I enjoyed it much more when I was younger than I do now. I could play for hours on end every day, nothing to bother me, no family, no aches & pains, no back pain, no hip pain, etc. I could walk 36 holes or more a day, with no problem. The freedom of doing whatever I wanted had a huge affect on my golf game ... because during all daylight hours, that's all I was doing, playing or practicing golf in some way. Then on weekends I would play with my father & his friends religiously every Sunday. Unfortunately times have changed, my father is no longer here, & golf has taken a backseat to the rest of my life. :cry:

I've always enjoyed the game, but my appreciation for its intricacies and the time spent on course with friends has definitely increased. I'm internally competitive and enjoy athletics - golf is very different than my main sport growing up, hockey. Where hockey is a team game, golf is individual. In hockey, your game or play can be directly impacted by someone else. Golf is truly you against the course, and I really enjoy that aspect.

And although I do like the social aspects, it's also nice that I can just sneak out for a round by myself if the mood strikes.

Without question. Seeing my game improve has certainly made me enjoy things even more.

I guess I enjoy it more now. I started playing in 1983, when I was 12. I've played a lot, but never as much as I've wanted. Maybe it's turning 50. Maybe it's looking back at times when I wasn't playing (2001-2013 and 2017-last summer) and realizing what I missed.
I can truly say every time I pick up the clubs I try and enjoy what it is, because there's always that one shot that brings you back.

I enjoy it more now. I've mellowed with age, and have a much better understanding of myself, and my game.

When I was young, I didn't play very well, so didn't get a lot of invitations to play. From 30-60 played once or twice a year, company outings or family visiting. Now that I retired, I actually learned to play. Got time, made lots of friends, and really enjoy the game. No high expectations, so it is fun.

By far more enjoyable. As I have gotten older and more interested in golf, add in the joy of playing with my sons this past year, golf has become almost as much fun and important to me as fantasy football.

The only difference is one makes me money and the other surely cost me a whole lot of money. :LOL:

Back