Do you enjoy golf more now than when you first started?

When I first started I was just playing with a bunch of guys from work in a Monday night league. I had no expectations of playing well and it was just some time out with the guys. So I did not know what was good or bad. My main sport at the time was fast pitch softball and I was serious about that not golf, I loved to play the game. Now I am way too old to play the game and I enjoy playing golf these days. I still wish I could be playing softball, but those days are long gone unfortunately.

I appreciate it more now.

When I was young, there was a time it was something I was halfway forced to do. Then it became something I would do on my own, but wasn't always my first choice.

Now, I wish I had all that time back so I'd have more rounds left in my life. Hopefully I have a lot more left, but I truly cherish the opportunity to go play now.

I fell in love the second I started playing and have been as enthusiastic and in love since. I get mad at myself and mad at the game from time to time but the second the round is over, I want to get right back out there and try again. Usually am counting down the minutes until I am actually able to get back out. THP has actually helped that as well since I can participate in golf while not actually being out on the course.

Over 43 years of golf, my enthusiasm has never waned. They say the key to long life is having something to look forward to; I intend to play until I die, and even now, I get increasingly excited each work day as my Saturday golf game draws closer.

I enjoy it much more now than when I started. It is my escape to relax and just forget about life for 4 hours and enjoy time with my golfing friends.

I don't think I enjoy golf more than when the bug bit me hard in 2015 but do enjoy it in different ways. When I started I didn't know anything about the equipment, and that part of the game is now a core passion. I was also initially very focused (too focused is fair too) on improving and how I played. I still like to work on the game but have more interest in new golf experiences than whether or not I get better (or worse). I love playing new courses and meeting other golfers. Even how I participate with THP has changed. Initially I desperately needed things that THP offered. I was trying to go from zero to something with golf as fast as possible. These days I log in because I want to be here. The hoards of THPers are awesome and inspiring, and I smile every time I check into the forum.

Loved my first round and it has never stopped. I had to step away for a few years with young kids and career situations, but enjoying it more of late. I seem to be playing the best golf of my life right now.

I think I do, I got really into it when I first started playing, then it kind of faded into the background of my life for a few years. After a big move and the ability to golf year round, it became my only hobby. I have been lucky to find some really good friends to play with, and enjoy my time on the range/course/talking about golf as much as I ever have.

Like anything, there will likely be ebbs and flows to it, but hopefully we all have a great time everytime we get to play/practice/chat about this wonderful game.

I still enjoy golf as much as when I started a little over 2 years ago but, I feel I need to expand my horizons more. I still enjoy going out with the old duffers group on Sunday morning but feel I need to probably join a club next year. Most of the time if I call to make a tee time at any of the courses up here, they will stick me out as a single even when I ask if they could add me to a group. By joining a club I would be able to network with more players and hopefully not be out by myself. It gets boring out there sometimes with just me and the birdies!:confused:

Since I started taking it seriously and working on my game. I have seen improvements and it's enjoyable now more than ever. I still need a LOT of work but I see the small pieces coming together.
8 months ago I only can hit my 8 iron 140 yards or so, now I still don't have it dialed in but here is distance I am achieving now.
a04ba714c815ecba3c2cdbe1ecb5bc63.jpg

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

I've been playing for approximately 27 years and I wouldn't say I enjoyed it more a the beginning or now, just different.

There's a newness of the game that I don't think I'll ever get back or truly experience again. There's certain smells and circumstances that bring back the memories but don't seem to fully duplicate the experience. There were no expectations then and maybe even an innocence to the game in the beginning.

I took 5 years off and rarely played because it just didn't fit in the life of my young family. When I came back to it I realized how much I missed the time out there.

Now it's a different experience but I enjoy it just as much, or more. I played today with a friend and will play again tomorrow with and different friend and my son. Didn't play well today but it was an amazing day out and it seems that every experience is different and has new challenges and things to learn. I can't wait to play again tomorrow!

For the most part yes. I certainly appreciate the game and opportunities to play more now.

It's kind of a trade off. When I first started there was hope and excitement, but I couldn't hit a lot of good shots and I didn't understand a lot of the subtleties of the game.

Yes and no. I learned to play as a youngster, and I don’t have the same sheer joy or passion to practice that I did years ago. I do appreciate golf a lot more now. And thoroughly enjoy it as a lifetime game.

I started as a kid and now I can drink while playing so very much like it more now

Yes. Oh my goodness yes.
I love the game and improving, but it’s the people that make the difference. Golf means way more to me because of the relationships and friendships it has brought. From guys at my local club, to the Grandaddy team, the THP community, I’m having more fun than ever!

My wife said to me the other day, "Sometimes, I think you love golf more than you love me."

So I said, "But I love you more than I love water polo."

Tough question to answer. I enjoy golf now, but know that I'll be sore and hurting for a day afterwards. Socially its better now - BS'ing with old golf buddies, a couple of good cigars, and an occasional good score.

YEARS ago when I was in college, I caddied at a local private course. Playing unlimited rounds on a great course on caddie's day (every Monday) was truly enjoyable. I'd get 54 holes in most of the time, and have no pain issues, and normally shoot in the low 80's, high 70's. Great memories.

I definitely enjoy it more now than when I first started. I only ever started playing so I could participate in weekend trips with group of guys I hung out with who all played. There were two of us who took up the game for that reason. I liked being part of things and hanging out, but didn’t really care about the game.

Then I decided I was tired of being the worst player every time so I went into grind mode and played a ton. Most of those rounds were by myself during the week. The best I could do was occasionally break 100, and I burned myself out.

Now I’ve gotten to the point where I mostly play with friends. I’m taking lessons and hitting the range a couple of times a week trying to improve, but not grinding out solo rounds chasing something that probably will never we happen. It’s a lot more fun this way.

I have been playing golf since 1972. I have always enjoyed the game.. I probably appreciate it more now than when I started. Aside from hitting the ball and trying to score as low as possible, I now appreciate, understand and accept that golf is more than just the pursuit of the lowest score possible. It's a social activity; it offers time away from the stresses of life and as someone who is competence motivated, the fact that I am somewhat competent at golf ( have been as low as an 11 handicap, regularly shoot in the 80s and have a personal best of 77 (+7) ) challenges me to try to maintain or improve my skill.

i really want to say yes but i don't. i am very competitive and my golf has suffered over the last few years and now, sometimes, it is not fun to play the way i am playing. always good to get out with my dad and brothers though.

I think I'm going through a bit of a lull, but that's only due to having young kids and just struggling to find time. They're at the age where they are completely dependent on us and it's hard leaving one parent in charge of both for long periods of time. Especially with my son, nicknamed The Destroyer.

But when I do get out I enjoy just as much, if not more than I did when I started. I think when I get older I'll play way much more than my wife realizes. Even with aches and pains I love the game and everything about it. I take breaks away from it - more than I used to, but I always come back and find the same enjoyment.

Yes, especially this past year. Honeymoon round 2.

Golf was a fun event with friends growing up, but it has also become a stress reliever and a great way step out of the normal grind.

Back