Do you enjoy playing in a scramble?

jfox789

2022 Budget Golf Champion & 2021 Dream Foursome!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
+
Curious how people feel about playing in a scramble or a format where you play someone else's shot. I have got mixed feelings about them and definitely do not hit the ball as well, but curious about the forum's thoughts.

I enjoy the scramble with the exception of putting. Once a putt is made everyone just stops and moves to the next hole, but I feel like we all need to keep our speed and touch around the greens so maybe it’s a good idea for the rest to keep putting. The last scramble I did I rarely did any putting and when it was my turn every few holes I felt off. Granted we had all those extra purchases like strings and tosses so that did have an impact, just didn’t enjoy the whole lack of putting comfort on each green.

I enjoy scrambles. It is different but i enjoy that part of it. I dont think of it as any sort of normal round, I just try to enjoy a different type of game and time out with other golfers.

I think the playing is a blast. Everything after, not so much. Wife and I have one coming up though, and without the prize concerns she's an awesome partner. We just get to eat and laugh with the other chill people after.

As far as personal play, if you're not a flip on/flip off person it can be hard to get in a rhythm. Especially if you start off a little out of sorts on something.

I enjoyed playing in scrambles. haven't played one for years.

I like them...I think they are fun and you don't have to be on your game to still contribute and have fun

Meh. Used to, not so much anymore.

They often seem to be more about alcohol than golf.

Do I like fun? Yes! I find it an enjoyable change of pace.

They can be fun or gimmicky. Usually have a pretty good time playing in a few a year

No.

I don’t like cheating and 6 hour rounds. I still don’t like the 6 hour rounds when they pair two 4-somes up. Show up at 7am, tee off at 8, then get home at 5pm or after waiting on everything.

No thank you.

Now just playing scramble format, that I can dig. My son and I went-7 one day on a short local course playing 2 man. That was fun. He was shorter than he is now by far but he put everything in play. I attacked and we played well together. If it was a shorter putt I hit first, longer, he did.

But an official 36 group scramble? Pass every time. I told my cousin if he signed me and my son up this year he was paying for us.

I like playing them to break up the normal golf routine. Get a chance to swing out of your shoes, go for shots that you'd never do if you actually cared about your score, etc. Something a little different

Not really, too long, too many pars are birdies birdies are eagles for my taste. Now, for work purposes, they’re fine but I don’t search them out.

Played in one today and had a great time. I enjoy the time with my friends and don’t ever expect to win! i just try to hit good golf shots!

Love them. I play in a nine hole weekly 2-man scramble pretty regularly at my local course. So much fun.

I enjoy them. The pressure is off to make every shot count.

No.

I don’t like cheating and 6 hour rounds. I still don’t like the 6 hour rounds when they pair two 4-somes up. Show up at 7am, tee off at 8, then get home at 5pm or after waiting on everything.

No thank you.

Now just playing scramble format, that I can dig. My son and I went-7 one day on a short local course playing 2 man. That was fun. He was shorter than he is now by far but he put everything in play. I attacked and we played well together. If it was a shorter putt I hit first, longer, he did.

But an official 36 group scramble? Pass every time. I told my cousin if he signed me and my son up this year he was paying for us.

Lately when I get invited to the charity scrambles I just donate and go play somewhere else.

Not my favorite events. On occasion I don’t mind with a few friends but generally it isn’t my favorite event.

I play in a Seniors 9 hole scramble on Thursday morning every week. We draw cards to see which hole to start playing. Play with different partners every week has been a lot of fun and have met a lot of people that I am now friends with. -7 is the best I have been involved with. What fun round that was. 9 under is the course record which we had a shot at. Pay $5, all money payed out. Usually $20.00 each to the winning team and less for the next 4 or 5 teams. Depending on how many people show up
We had 60 players last week and our foursome was done 1 hour 45 minutes. Playing ready golf

Last edited:
Yea, I really enjoy playing in scrambles. I used to be the big hitter so I almost always went last on the tee after getting at least one ball in the fairway. Now I am more the short game and putter that can be counted on.

They are fun to play. Playing it go for broke golf tests your ability under pressure.

16 guys took a bus down to a nice facility and played 18 of our own ball and the 2nd 18 was a 4 person scramble on Saturday.

I think they're fun as a change of pace, because I play them so seldom. Charity scrambles, I go with only the expectations of donating to the charity and having a good time, and maybe winning a door prize - too many cheaters to worry about winning the actual tournaments, and I couldn't walk in there with a straight face and hand them a scorecard saying we shot 22 or 23 under. I enjoy the golf because I don't really care about the outcome - there's no pressure, it's all about having a fun (if long) day with friends.

Love them because I take them for what they are, just pure fun. No pressure, just go out and put up a score while having as much fun as possible.

Back