Do you ever book the higher airfare?

jdtox

Lord Tox
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Have been looking at flights recently and most carriers have 3 choices. As an example this particular flight has a $600, $550 and $102 dollar option. Why would anyone select the higher options? If you do why?

I can only imagine maybe you get a better seat option or preferential boarding? I used to fly 15-20 times a year I never saw the benefit.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I think depending on the airline, it comes with some "Perks," sometimes more miles (Better bonus, for example 2x miles), Free Drinks, More Legroom etc.

For me, I always pick the cheapest option, with the exception of economy. I want to avoid a middle seat.

Have been looking at flights recently and most carriers have 3 choices. As an example this particular flight has a $600, $550 and $102 dollar option. Why would anyone select the higher options? If you do why?
I would only do the more expensive flight if the $102 flight would nearly kill me from exhaustion because of a rough arrival/departure/layover. It’s not worth it if I’m still feeling the effects a few days later.

• Admin
I would only do the more expensive flight if the $102 flight would nearly kill me from exhaustion because of a rough arrival/departure/layover. It’s not worth it if I’m still feeling the effects a few days later.
Its all the same flight, just different options like first, business and economy class

On long flights such as Minneapolis to Honolulu, we sometimes pay for Delta Comfort + if the flight looks full. We never did when we were younger but at age 55 my back and knees don’t want to be in economy for 8.5 hours.

With these all being on the same flight, I would only pay more for flexibility, for a business trip for example. Otherwise no real reason to pay 5x, transoceanic flight excepted.

On Southwest it let's you know what the price will be if you don't book before the low price is gone. On other airlines it's for better seats right?

Depending on airline it could mean no seat assignment. It could mean lack of carry on allowed or it not fitting. Etc Etc.

Perhaps you get preferred boarding / seating / luggage included but the main thing would be ticketing class which will allow you to change and / or cancel the ticket whereas the 100USD option is non-changable / refundable with all likelihood. Like all things in life options come at a cost, our corporation has a policy to book cheapest ticket and just take the hit the odd time you can't get any refund.

Its all the same flight, just different options like first, business and economy class
Oh yikes! Not for me, I’m only 5’8” I don’t need the legroom and I’m not drinking enough beer on a domestic flight to make it worth the price difference.

Depending on airline it could mean no seat assignment. It could mean lack of carry on allowed or it not fitting. Etc Etc.
Very true! Even though I sometimes feel like I’m being robbed, I will always pay more for a seat assignment.

Yes. I book business select almost exclusively on southwest.

Very true! Even though I sometimes feel like I’m being robbed, I will always pay more for a seat assignment.
I guess if money is not an issue its worth it but to pay in this case $1000 more for a seat assignment seems crazy to me haha

I guess if money is not an issue its worth it but to pay in this case $1000 more for a seat assignment seems crazy to me haha
I’ve never seen anything like that! Can you buy the cheaper class and add a seat separately? I’ve never understood how people risk standby. I can’t remember the last time I traveled where my schedule allowed for flexibility if I missed a flight.

I’ve never seen anything like that! Can you buy the cheaper class and add a seat separately? I’ve never understood how people risk standby. I can’t remember the last time I traveled where my schedule allowed for flexibility if I missed a flight.
Its a Southwest flight so there is no assigned seating. I get the no refund part of it but that is a significant amount of money which is why I was asking the question.

Its a Southwest flight so there is no assigned seating. I get the no refund part of it but that is a significant amount of money which is why I was asking the question.
Yea that’s pretty wild. I only fly half a dozen times a year so i have minimal status and generally get the cheapest flight possible with a seat assignment. Refundable would be nice, but i can never stomach the cost.

I try to avoid SW, due to the no seat assignment, but I will say, often times at the airport you can buy the cheaper ticket and just pay $30 to move up to A1 or so for each flight.

I try to avoid SW, due to the no seat assignment, but I will say, often times at the airport you can buy the cheaper ticket and just pay $30 to move up to A1 or so for each flight.
I didn't know that and I totally get it but sometimes the free bags is nice, especially when one is a golf bag haha

I fly Southwest almost exclusively. a few reasons I would pay more:

Fully refundable
It's a work trip, and I can expense it.
When Bought with My SW card, the points stack.
If I'm close, I'm paying to make the final bump to keep companion pass, and the extra cost is offset in the long run, by my wifes free (minus taxes) flights throughout the year.

If it’s a long flight, absolutely will upgrade and buy more expensive options. I’ll go cheap if it’s under two hours.

In my case Southwest is the only airline that flys most places I go to round trip out of St Louis. I am willing to pay several hundred to avoid the stress and anxiety that goes with the wanna get away fares. Before the pandemic, I flew a lot and just found that being one of the first on the plane made it easier for me. I will more than likely be sitting in one of my preferred seats - exit row or bulk head. I can get myself situated before the plane gets full. There will always be room for my carryon. There are lots of reasons that for me that the expense is always worth it. My happiness and lowering my stress level in what is already a stressful process is worth the $$$$ business select costs.

Frequently the higher airfare comes with being refundable. If you aren't sure you think you might need to cancel or change your flight and don't have status that is about the only reason I can think of unless it comes with a better seat and more baggage if you need that.

I fly Southwest almost exclusively. a few reasons I would pay more:
If I'm close, I'm paying to make the final bump to keep companion pass, and the extra cost is offset in the long run, by my wifes free (minus taxes) flights throughout the year.
this too. Southwest has such a good system rewarding those that pay premium fares. Between companion pass, my A list preferred status and all the SW points I get from Chase, personal trips with the family are pretty much free. i can’t use the points fast enough. Right now I have 650,000.

My wife and I argue about this on US Air. I only want to buy the economy price, but she hates not having assigned seats and a ticket printed for trips to bypass check in when no bags.

Back