Do you ever book the higher airfare?

it depends on the perks that come with it.

When we flew to Ireland, we booked the cheapest fare possible. It didn't come with an assigned seat, no free beverage, nothing like that. It was bare bones. But we flew round trip internationally for under $240 each. Now while over there, after we jumped over to Scotland, we returned back to Ireland and booked a higher fare because it made the carry on easier, boarding easier, and security easier.

There is a better then 50% chance I’m going to reschedule my flight and the higher fare generally allows for free changes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have and will if its only $50 and it means being able to cancel when I want.

I do all the time.

On international flights (I fly United) I will book a minimum of W fare class which is generally about 5 or 6 fare classes above the lowest economy ticket. I do this when the business class is relatively empty as, with my status, W class is the lowest fare class that is eligible for a complimentary upgrade. With my status, that upgrade is pretty much guaranteed.

If business class is relatively full at the time of booking, I will check to see if any seats are held for upgrades, and if not, I will just book the business class ticket (which is generally $500-$1000 more than the W class ticket.

On domestic tickets, I just book whatever I see about basic economy, as it immediately gives me economy plus, and I usually get upgraded to first immediately as well - or 96 hours before the flight (if they wait to open up the upgrades.) Again, if it is a heavily traveled route, first class is often fairly full, so I'll just book it straight away.

A few years ago, my wife needed to go to Ireland for a family funeral. She had to book at a fairly short notice. She poked around and found a trip that was a third the price and was about to book. Then she double checked the arrival time. THEN looked at the detailed itinerary. They had the route going NYC-San Francisco-Tokyo-Singapore-Dubai-London-Dublin. Now, she can fall asleep on the tarmac on any flight and stay asleep, but even for her, that was a bit much. Even though she considered it for a few minutes just to do it. Until she realized that any glitch would preclude making it on time. If it wasn’t urgent she would have. Oh- the price? Less than $500 compared to the nearly $1500 AerLingus wanted for the trip. EACH WAY. She wound up taking AA for $1200 RT. If it was ME taking that trip, I would have asked the attendant to cut off my legs just above the knees, somewhere over the Pacific about 3 hours out of SFO.

I'd pay whatever they ask if it guaranteed I would be at the pointy end of the plane and well away from annoying kids and drunks

I just did, for CDA trip.

Coach was $400 RT per person, first class was $800. But throw in 3 checked bags and 2 carry ons and coach was closer to $550. First includes two checked bags each and carry on. Given the length of the flight, I was happy to pay the extra.

Back