Do you ever give tips at the driving range or course?

Fingerz

Reaction score
Handicap
Snow!
While I'm not a huge fan of giving tips to people, occasionally I will especially if it's something very simple and the person seems frustrated. I don't like doing it because everyone's swing is different for one.

So today it's 65 degrees today here in Washington DC. I decided to meet my other half at TopGolf for a few games and a 'date' day. We use this format for our dates when we aren't playing on the course together. It was crowded at lunchtime. The couple beside (man/woman) us seemed very new to golf but had their own equipment. The guy was struggling to hit his clubs even a short distance. I didn't think much of it until all the negative comments kept coming. My other half mentioned that it's supposed to be fun right? After about 20 minutes of this I finally looked over to watch him swing. I was preparing to leave as I was watching him. He had several flaws but two big ones were looking up as he swung and raising his body up at the same time. So he topped a lot of shots and pulled them. I didn't see any harm in telling him to try keeping his head down and maintain his position. This is universal advice to any golfer. I got the look of death from him.

So that made me think.... Does anyone else give tips on the range or course?
What has been your experience when doing so?

I will never give a tip, especially to someone I don't know, unless asked.

I will however give tips to my future bride because she wants me to teach her. That's about it though.

I have on occasion, but only when somebody asks me. I hate it when somebody gives me unsolicited advice, so I'd hate to do the same to someone.

I never, EVER give any thoughts/tips to anyone unless they ask me for them. I don't want someone to take offense to my suggestions, which it sounds like this guy may have. Just a few weeks ago I was hitting some balls and I noticed a guy a few spots down from me watching me here & there. Once I finished hitting all the balls I had, he asked me if he could ask me a few questions and maybe I could help him. I'm no PGA professional, so I just tried to keep the things I was telling him as basic as possible. Last week I saw him again as I was practicing and he said "I'm still working on what you told me. I think it's helping a lot." So, I have no legit idea if it really is helping him besides taking his word for it, but he had a boost in confidence it seemed, so that's cool.

Can't stand getting advice from other people when I haven't asked for it, especially when I know it's not right - the usual 'keep your head down', 'you stood up', etc, etc.

I definitely don't dish it out, unless asked. I may give some swing theories between shots that I've been reading up on, nothing more.

Heck no. You don't swing like I do (terribly) and run around telling others how to do it.
I don't mind discussing a swing with a friend or a guy who's game I know well, but that's about it.

I rarely even talk to other people when I am at the range. I throw my headphones in and just do my thing. I don't want tips from somebody and wouldn't give them unprovoked.

If somebody asked me to watch their swing and let them know if they are doing a certain thing I would oblige, but I definitely won't initiate a conversation with someone. that might sound antisocial but I never get as much time at the course as I would like and I assume others could be in the same situation.

You were coming from a good place, but as a rule I only give advise if someone asks me on the course and then sometimes I still dont becasue I am still afraid of jumbling up even more then they most likely are if are asking ME for advise.

I would wouldn't offer up any advice. I'm not confident enough in my own swing most of the time.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

why do people get so offended by words? it's up to you to listen to advice or ignore it and continue having a terrible time with topped balls and hosel rockets

Only if asked. And it's usually preceded by "are you sure you want advice from me?"

Never have and don't think I would unless someone ask. Then I would point them in the direction of youtube or a legit instructor

I have only given very limited advice to friends on the course especially if I can clearly see they are positioned way off target.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the only advice I,ll give, if asked, is to get lessons by a pro, I dont want to mess with anyone's swing

While I'm not a huge fan of giving tips to people, occasionally I will especially if it's something very simple and the person seems frustrated. I don't like doing it because everyone's swing is different for one.

So today it's 65 degrees today here in Washington DC. I decided to meet my other half at TopGolf for a few games and a 'date' day. We use this format for our dates when we aren't playing on the course together. It was crowded at lunchtime. The couple beside (man/woman) us seemed very new to golf but had their own equipment. The guy was struggling to hit his clubs even a short distance. I didn't think much of it until all the negative comments kept coming. My other half mentioned that it's supposed to be fun right? After about 20 minutes of this I finally looked over to watch him swing. I was preparing to leave as I was watching him. He had several flaws but two big ones were looking up as he swung and raising his body up at the same time. So he topped a lot of shots and pulled them. I didn't see any harm in telling him to try keeping his head down and maintain his position. This is universal advice to any golfer. I got the look of death from him.

So that made me think.... Does anyone else give tips on the range or course?
What has been your experience when doing so?

I don't give advice unless asked and then I qualify, qualify, qualify...

In this case, you probably got the look of death because there were actually two no no's in play. First, the advice no no. But the second is a big one - you offered him advice about something he was doing (poorly) in front of a women (assumption here, maybe his partner). Personally, I avoid that situation like the plague.

No judgement here - I know you meant the best.

I wear headphones to avoid all forced human contact.

I won't give unsolicited advice. If I'm asked if I saw something specific or to look out for something in their swing, I'm happy to help anyway I can.

Never unless it's a friend asking and if someone tries to give me unsolicited advice they I tell them to focus on their own shots not mine.

I've been asked once and if he only knew...haha. I'm not in the know enough to give the finer points but can give a few obvious pointers if asked. The only one I freely give advice to is Tera...then I'm corrected by KC720 :alien:

I sometimes do I guess. But only at THP events when its asked. I'm just not the type of guy that willingly gives advice since I'm not good enough to give tips

Keep my mouth shut unless someone asks for my opinion.

I don't say anything to anyone, unless they ask.

The only time I give advice is if someone has asked me and even then if I don't know the person I am pretty hesitant. The main reason is I do not want people talking to me about my swing. There are not many things about golf that upset me, but someone giving me unsolicited advice is at the top of the list.

I do not unless I'm asked. Even then I don't like to do it.

If it's one of the guys I golf with every weekend, I will give advice. If the guy has been aligning himself to the other fairway for the last 5 holes, I will tell him, so he doesn't continue this for the rest of the round.

Back