Do You Ever Reach A point Where You're Golfed Out

I' let nature tell me when I'm going to be golfed out. The beginning of fall with its cooler weather and decreased daylight pretty much limits my golf. I'm no longer able to go out and play 9 holes or more after work and am limited to the weekends. Then there is this thing called winter that puts a stop to all golf.

180+ rounds in 2020. Tachometer is in the yellow zone but that's due to tweaked ribs. Couple of days of rest should do the trick...at least that's the hope.

My Morgan Cup weekend, Wednesday - Sunday I played 99 holes, give or take a few holes. I thought I would be done with the golf after last weekend and I would be storing the clubs....That is just not the case. Tuesday morning I was trying to get a round together with my typical foursome.

Living in Western NY gives me all winter with no golf, so no, I never get that feeling. If I lived in an area with year round golf, I might feel differently. I'd like to find out!

Being golfed out, for me, is usually associated with an extended period of poor play. I take a break at that point.

After playing 5 days straight last weekend I thought I needed a break. Turns out I'm ready to play again, sadly Michigan weather says NO

I left the game for several years. I got burnt out after high school/1 year of college golf. Put the clubs in the garage and played solely in fundraiser scrambles and bachelor parties/special occasions. This lasted for probably 8-9 years while I was trying to establish a career, make enough money to play how I wanted, got through the baby/toddler stages, etc. I picked it back up again last year where I played once a week, this year I've got the love/fire back. Have played probably 50-60 rounds since June (mixture of 9s and 18s).

I've been able to reflect quite a bit over the last few months as to why I loved golf and why I gave it up. In hindsight, I would have told myself to never give up, but I may not be in as healthy of a relationship with it as I am today. I would love to see where my game would be if I would have been able to transition from high school/college into the adult world. I can tell you, my mental game is much better than it used to be. I realized I was pretty stupid back when I was 16-20.

I think we all deal with "golfed out" differently. I wouldn't suggest taking a multi-year break like I did. I would just take a weekend day that maybe you would normally play 18 and do something else. If you find yourself longing to be on a golf course, maybe re-think WHY you're golfed out. Don't keep score, don't bet, only take 3 clubs, play a scramble with your buddies and "let loose", etc. Sometimes the grind of trying to score or be proficient in certain areas is a hindrance to progress.

I came close last weekend. Played 81 holes in 4 days (walked all but the first 18). I could have done more, but it would have required a new bottle of naproxen.

How many times have you played this year?

Haha, naproxen. I keep a bottle of it in my golf bag. Works great!

Haha, naproxen. I keep a bottle of it in my golf bag. Works great!

Hey! Me too!

Yes, I do believe you can be golfed out. Even the pros. They'll go out on the Tour, play for a stretch, and then take a break for some R&R. A few years back my buddy's Son had a week's vacation coming, and he wanted to golf it up big time. And that's what we did! We played 6 rounds in 7 days, and a couple of those were 27 holers. At the end of the week, I could barely drag myself out of bed! I was 63-64 at the time.

I'm 68 now and 18 holes can do it to me. I have a couple of semi-shot knees, my back is OK, but my shoulders are not. Too many years bow hunting whitetail deer. At the end even shooting 6 practice arrows would make my shoulders ache for 2 days. I eventually went over to the dark side and bought a crossbow.

It happens to us all eventually. The realization sets in that we're not in our twenties or thirties any more. A couple years ago my buddy and I went back and played some courses we hadn't been to in a while, down in the "hill country". We were in a cart but I looked at the course and could not believe that I used to walk them! I told my buddy that I must have been part mountain goat back then!

Waaay back in the day, when i played every chance I could, I'd get tired of it mid august or so. Thats when I played mostly every playable day from early March on at my first country club. After the early sept. aeration healed, I was ready to go again.

Golf wise no, but dealing with a tight and sore back makes the game less enjoyable so I suppose I am golfed out for awhile. I may try yoga for awhile haha!

I don't play enough to get golfed out. Right now I feel like if I had my way I'd be golfing several times a week. But I will admit after a round of golf my body is ready to rest and the next day I'm not sure I could handle another 18 holes. I've had back and sciatica issues for a lot of years. Its starting to make it harder for me now in my mid 60's. My hips get sore too. But after a couple days I'm ready to get back at it.

I'm glad I have other hobbies come this time of year that take me away from golf. Fishing & Hunting. It helps me take a step back from golf for a while & give it a break. It will probably come here soon enough. I will make sure of it (y)

I definitely have felt getting up at 6am in September or October to play Golf.
However I'm always glad that I went once the round gets going.
I like to play different course so that helps getting "Golfed out"

This offseason is going to be different - Think there is going to be real restrictions in domes in the winter.

Retirement is coming in at most three years. At that time, I plan to research this question intensively and extensively. I will give a full report.

My plan exactly and on the same timeframe.

Not these days.

If I’m having a bad round, like a really bad one, I’ve wanted to pack up my bag and just go home. Asking myself why I can’t fix whatever I’m doing wrong. And why am I putting myself through all this frustration?!? But since then I’ve learned so much about the golf swing (and my own) I can usually self correct. I play every Friday without fail and have for more than 10 years. I’ve never wanted to just quit completely. Or even take an extended break.

There have been a couple times this year where I have asked myself part way through the round why I was out on a course again. I never thought I would say that, but it does happen to me on occasion.

Can I get an Amen? Can I get a hallelujah? I think I'm almost golf FORUM'd out? :LOL:

Back