Do you ever walk when everyone else is riding?

jdtox

Lord Tox
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
The solo cart thread and the Motocaddy M7 thread got me thinking about playing with randoms. Let's say you were paired with a 3some but don't want to share cart with a stranger, would you walk while the others ride? Even if I want to walk and the others are all riding I feel obligated to ride because I feel like they will look at me and say whats wrong with this guy...its actually the reason I don't own a push cart even though I think they are awesome.

I have no problem walking. I have been paired with riders before and I still walk. My club offers free push carts and I have never fallen behind because I’m walking and they are riding. I see lots of people walking with riders in the same group. Rounds are always under 4 hours. I feel like it’s a win for everyone. I get to walk and get exercise, they get to ride and no one has to wait.

It depends on the group. At league nights, yes. With strangers, yes. When making a foursome, not really. But I totally get the "obligated" part. It's almost like being shamed into it.

Yep! Zero issues with it. I enjoy walking the course and saving some money lol

• Admin
It depends on the group. At league nights, yes. With strangers, yes. When making a foursome, not really. But I totally get the "obligated" part. It's almost like being shamed into it.
Kind of like hitting driver on every hole even though you don't need to? :ROFLMAO:

Kind of like hitting driver on every hole even though you don't need to? :ROFLMAO:

yes. Last week I finally stopped that 💩 during league play because it was just getting me into trouble. Low and behold, shot my best round of the league. Wonder if I've learned my lesson.........probably not.

I have no problem walking. I have been paired with riders before and I still walk. My club offers free push carts and I have never fallen behind because I’m walking and they are riding. I see lots of people walking with riders in the same group. Rounds are always under 4 hours. I feel like it’s a win for everyone. I get to walk and get exercise, they get to ride and no one has to wait.

Other than the free push carts (I have my own), this sums it up for me as well. I will ride if it's required, or if I am someone's guest, or of the course layout mandates riding as a better choice, or it's a golf getaway with friends, or in a scramble event where camaraderie is just as important or more important than the golf. I never feel shamed into riding in a cart.

Last year I was the only walker a few times and this year I've had 2 where I was the only rider because the cart was already included in my price.

I found as the only rider I was trying to find their balls and give yardages to them as they caught up.

When in a league, my partner and I often walked while most everyone else would ride. If it was strangers, and I wanted to walk then I would. If it was a group of friends, I'd probably ride, to be more part of the conversation/group.

No problem walking, Covid or not. It might depend on my knees whether I join the cart crowd. Especially if I’m playing with my buddies at the local 9 holes- it’s just not worth paying almost the same for a cart as it is for the round. And you know what? We finish at the same time amazingly enough.

I have no problem walking. I enjoy the walk and it costs less.
I only feel obligated to ride when it's a scramble or a team event.

Last edited:
I have no problem walking. I enjoy the walk and it costs less.
I only feel obligated to walk when it's a scramble or a team event.
I think you meant ride? :ROFLMAO:

When in a league, my partner and I often walked while most everyone else would ride. If it was strangers, and I wanted to walk then I would. If it was a group of friends, I'd probably ride, to be more part of the conversation/group.
Thats kind of it right? If I choose to walk during league the guys would be like WTF you don't want to talk to us? So I feel like I am forced/obligated to ride when all I really want is to play faster and get some exercise.

Years ago, I used to walk on courses where carts were required. I’d go off on the first hole, then remove my bag from the cart on the second hole. Those were on resort courses where I played as a single. The other guy who had the cart always felt sorry for me and kept trying to give me rides.

From time to time. Much more likely if it is people I don't know beforehand verses if it is a normal group of friends.

I used to do it at league night when I was able to partake in those years ago. I was too cheap to drop the extra $10 for the cart when I knew I could walk. Occasionally I would hop in with one of the group members, but only if asked. I sometimes just enjoyed the walk.

yes. Last week I finally stopped that 💩 during league play because it was just getting me into trouble. Low and behold, shot my best round of the league. Wonder if I've learned my lesson.........probably not.
[/QUOTE

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.

- Winston Churchill

I do! And I usually play as fast if not faster still. :LOL:

Yes. It sometimes goes from walking to jogging to sprinting.

“Shut up lungs, you’re fine!”

Thats kind of it right? If I choose to walk during league the guys would be like WTF you don't want to talk to us?

To which I would reply (among my group of friends, anyway), "Yes, that's correct - I'll see you on the green" LOL...

Whether I walk or ride is generally not at all dependent on what the others in the group choose to do.

I prefer to walk if the course is designed for it. If others want to ride, cool, go for it. I may put my drink in your cart.

I've had a few guys complain and say that I'll slow them down if I walk. My standard reply is "OK, here's the deal, every time you find yourself waiting on me during this round, you get a stroke, and if I'm waiting on you, I get one."

If im a part of our own foursome, I'll ride if the other 3 are riding. NONE of my buddies like to walk.

However, if I walk out as a single and get paired with random riders, I'll continue to walk. Not changing my plans.
I'll also play the tee box I intended, and adhere to the rules of golf even though my "playing partners" are not.

I always walk -- and I'm faster than the cart riders.

All but 1 person I play with rides. I have no problem walking while they ride and they don't have a problem with it either. Typically, the only time I can't outwalk a cart rider is a single with really good game.

Yes. The Saturday morning crew I used to play with was 4 riders (3 carts) + me, the lone walker. I had no problem keeping up with my pushcart and we always (yes, always) finished in under 4:00.

Back