Do you ever walk when everyone else is riding?

The solo cart thread and the Motocaddy M7 thread got me thinking about playing with randoms. Let's say you were paired with a 3some but don't want to share cart with a stranger, would you walk while the others ride? Even if I want to walk and the others are all riding I feel obligated to ride because I feel like they will look at me and say whats wrong with this guy...its actually the reason I don't own a push cart even though I think they are awesome.
I do what I want, everyone else can get bent.

Oh yeah, will be doing that again this weekend. I enjoy walking more than riding and I don't think I miss out on conversations or fun during the round. Can't say what my partners think of me, but I haven't gotten any sideways looks so far.

Yes. It is kind of interesting how it plays out. Carts move faster to cover distance but are much slower moving between 2 rider's balls and around greens. I can walk a course in the same time as cart riders in most cases.

I generally do what the group is doing if I get paired up with strangers which leads to awkward small talk. May start walking more though as it seems to be more common than I had anticipated in reading the responses.

This year yes without hesitation. And i will continue to do so until the weather gets unbearably hot low 90s for me.

the courses here are seldom open (gaps between groups) so walking or riding seems to make little to no difference.

I have before.
I have also been the rider with walkers.

Sometimes I will. Mostly depends upon how walkable the course is that we're playing that day. Also how hot and humid it is.

I have walked multiple times when I play solo and get added to a group. It does not bother me and I don't seem to slow the pace of play down.

Yes, in fact did twice last week.

The solo cart thread and the Motocaddy M7 thread got me thinking about playing with randoms. Let's say you were paired with a 3some but don't want to share cart with a stranger, would you walk while the others ride? Even if I want to walk and the others are all riding I feel obligated to ride because I feel like they will look at me and say whats wrong with this guy...its actually the reason I don't own a push cart even though I think they are awesome.
Play your game in whatever manor makes you comfortable. Be engaging, don't be a dick and everything will be fine.

NO .... it stuffs up the pace of play unless you are a well-organized, considerate and rapid walking golfer.

Other than the free push carts (I have my own), this sums it up for me as well. I will ride if it's required, or if I am someone's guest, or of the course layout mandates riding as a better choice, or it's a golf getaway with friends, or in a scramble event where camaraderie is just as important or more important than the golf. I never feel shamed into riding in a cart.
Bingo. If I have the option, I'm walking. It's one of the things I like best about playing a round - walking on the beautiful grass.

I walk, always. If someone I'm playing with or alongside wants to ride, good on 'em. But personally I'd rather not play than play in a cart, walking is a major part of the game to me.

The key to being the only walker in a group with riders is not to rush trying to catch up to them when they go racing down the fairway to their ball. Everyone in a mixed group has to accept that riders are quicker getting to the ball while walkers are quicker around the greens. In the end it balances out as long as you acknowledge the different rhythms involved and don't get caught up trying to play in lockstep.

I have before.
I have also been the rider with walkers.

done this as well. To avoid the creepy crawly cart thing to chat, I may go out and spot their shots. Forecaddie duty, so to speak. Subtly helping to speed them up without being obvious. Mostly because most people grossly overestimate how far they hit and don’t really start looking until they’re 30-40 yds past. No ‘looping back’ to cover where they just walked.

I have many friends in golf group I play with ... they 90% will take a cart ... only 2-3 will
Walk including me ... happier walking and quicker and it’s healthier ) and they don’t have any issue with me walking

Thats kind of it right? If I choose to walk during league the guys would be like WTF you don't want to talk to us? So I feel like I am forced/obligated to ride when all I really want is to play faster and get some exercise.

I get that way at first, but then after a few rounds in the league it was just normal. I also told them that I sit in an office all day for work, I’d like to get some exercise when I golf, not sit for a few more hours on a cart.

If everyone else is riding, I will ride. I've gotten to like walking more, but am not going to be the only one walking. I just personally would feel weird doing that, just the way I am.

I used to always do what the group does but now I always walk even if others are riding. It’s usually a mix with my group and no one really minds. With pace of play the way it is we are always waiting anyway.

I walk 90% of the time and have no trouble walking when others are not. I play better when I walk, the legs feed the wolf as it were. Even in situations where my clubs are on a cart, I will walk to my ball a fair portion of the round. I just prefer it, feel more engaged and walking helps my back.

I have been the only walker a bunch. I think it’s fine no one has looked at me strange. Especially if you are solo.

I only cart when doing 36 holes in a day which is only a handful of days per year or in a tournament or club event where carts are supplied. I enjoy walking so riding in a cart is a special treat.

Walking vs riding is based on how i am feeling that day, not what other people in the group are doing.

Back