Do you full swing your highest lofted wedge?

Do you full swing your highest lofted wedge?

• Of course.

Votes: 23 20.4%
  • No one should ever do that.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • It's my favorite.

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • I stop at 3/4.

Votes: 19 16.8%
  • I hit it harder, faster, and deeper than everyone else.

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Not a lot, but I aint scared of it.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • No - other

Votes: 7 6.2%
  • If the distance is right.

Votes: 22 19.5%

• Total voters
I have a 60 and the only time I'm using it with a full swing is if i have some hazard in front.

I don't think I've used it yet this year in this manner.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

More often than not, with my wedges (PW, 50, 54, 58) I'm swinging about 3/4s. I don't mind the full swing, but I find I'm more accurate when I back it off a bit.

58* is usually the highest lofted wedge I carry and I can probably count on one hand the number of full swings I've taken with it this season.

I used to, but have been working on partial swings with wedges so I don't have to. Fully swinging at a 90 yard shot is just asking to blade that 60 degree through the green never to be seen again. Unless I have something I have to really launch it over like a tree then no, partials it is.

Had a 70 yard shot with 60 because of this thread. Felt ok about the max I'd go...airmailed the green though so that wasn't fun

forced carries or winter conditions or I am exactly on my number are the reasons I'd take full swing with a sand or lob wedge

I rarely hit my 56 full on. I try to be in the 100-110 range if I can’t go for it. My 56 is used for traps and chipping 99% of the time.

Generally speaking I do not hit full swing wedges. I have enough yardage variations I can cover with my different wedges at half and 3/4 swing to hit my desired distances with less dispersion. Of course occasionally I’ll try to crank a full one in and I usually pay for it. Keep you on straight stupid. LOL.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HIt it full from 90, 3/4 80, 70 less, depends on the day, the mood and the temp

I will based on yardage and what is presented in front of me. Doesn't bother me.

i mean i hardly do it, but if I need to due to trouble or needing a soft landing, then ya I will.

No, I am seriousley considering removing it from the bag for either a 5w or UT

Of course. 56 weakened to 58.

I don't full swing any of my clubs for fear of breaking or bruising some part of my body! Most of my swings are around 75-80%, including the wedges.

I clicked the "of course" option.

But I need to define "full swing"...

For me with any wedge my "full swing" has the face slightly open, my stance slightly open and not quite as "full" a swing as I'd make with a six-iron or something. According to my swing coach, I should get more consistent spin and better distance control with that swing than I would squaring up and trying to hit a LW as though it were a "13 iron" or whatever. Over the past year I've committed to it and I think he's right, it's the best way to get reliable results from my swing which is seldom perfect.

It also has the advantage of letting me do something similar to shorter-than-full-LW yardages. Just open the face more, open the stance to compensate and instead of 80 yards (with my 59 degree) I can get 70 or 60 or even as little as 55 yards with what feels like the same length of backswing and followthrough. That's been a real eye-opener for me as in years past I'd thought of these shots more along the Dave Pelz thing of one setup and just make shorter and shorter swings.

For me one swing and vary the setup is more repeatable than one setup and varying the swing.

I can, but I don't do it often. My full 60* swing is 94 yards, but its 1 mile high. So in Texas wind there generally isn't a need to hit it, I've found I score better hitting a 3/4 50* or even a 1/2 PW to get to the low 90s yardage.

58* and very rarely...

Just had to change my vote to “of course”. I had two scenarios in my last round where it just made too much sense. I took a full on-course 60* for the first time in years from the fairway and dropped it to 10 feet and made the birdie putt. The second one came after I yanked a 9i that took a bounce off the cart path and ended up on the #1 tee box while I was on #18 😆 So I took another full swing and left myself a 15 footer that barely stayed out.

Feels good to welcome a new weapon to the bag!
I changed my vote from "No - other" to "If the distance is right". I've been practicing with my wedges a bit more and as I've gained confidence with them, I'm not afraid to hit them full swing if the distance, lie, etc. is right. I still don't do it every time, but if the shot calls for it I feel good about doing it.

I struggled with full swings with a 60. Went down to a 58 with at least moderate bounce and fared better.
That was kind of how I determined the highest loft I could handle. By the one I could swing "full" successfully.

I will swing my 58 with a full swing. I am trying to take the advice of a 3/4 swing but it is not working for me. Maybe my swing is slow enough where it doesn't hurt me. Recently, I've had a few 75 yd shots, took the 53, thought 3/4 and was timid - came up woefully short. Whereas two days ago, from 75, I slightly cut a 58 from light rough, went after it, and flight was high, high to a narrow green and stopped 15 ft from the cup (not enough cut). Previously, I had used 3/4 swings, it's a mental thing.

I used to, all.. of.. the.. time.

It was actually my preferred shot 100 yards and in, whether 60° or my current 58°.

But over the last 6 weeks or so, too many chunked shots have rendered me completely gun-shy wrt full-swing LW.

A happy residual effect is that I've become quite adept at gearing down my 54° SW.

Now, I'll take 1/2 or 3/4 swing SW over 3/4 or full-swing LW every single time.

I used to, all.. of.. the.. time.

It was actually my preferred shot 100 yards and in, whether 60° or my current 58°.

But over the last 6 weeks or so, too many chunked shots have rendered me completely gun-shy wrt full-swing LW.

A happy residual effect is that I've become quite adept at gearing down my 54° SW.

Now, I'll take 1/2 or 3/4 swing SW over 3/4 or full-swing LW every single time.

It's funny how our different people's swing flaws show up differently.

For me any kind of 1/2 or 3/4 swing is a chunked shot waiting to happen. I might slightly fat or thin a full swing LW but almost never truly lay sod over it with a full swing. But my 1/2 swing will sometimes completely get out of sync and I'll hit 6" behind the ball.

Back