Do you game brands specific to a club and, if so, how many brands are in your bag?

robrandalgz

2023 Budget Championship #CanyonCowboys
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
To clarify, when I first started getting into golf, there were certain spots in my bag that were kind of "reserved" for certain brands. For example: I would only play Taylor Made Woods, Callaway irons, Titleist wedges and Taylor Made putters. I'm not sure why I pigeon holed myself into these selections but for about the first 5 years that I played that's how my bag was set up regardless of the clubs that rotated in or out.

Did anyone else ever do this (or still do this) and, if so, why and how many brands did your spectrum cross?

I've never had an allegiance but I'd often give certain companies the first shot.

I had long streaks of Callaway drivers and FWs. Titleist drivers, Mizuno irons, Cleveland wedges, Cameron putters.

But generally now, it's fair game. There's presently 6 different brands in my bag:

Ping driver
Tour Edge 2H
Wilson Staff 3H
Callaway irons & SW
Fourteen AW, GW, LW
Directed Force putter

I am open to all companies. But certain ones work better for me for different parts of my game. Right now I have two brands. Cobra which occupy wood,irons and wedges. And Titleist for putter

It's not because I am pigeon holed, but I have only had one non-Callaway driver since I got the original War Bird Driver 20 years ago. The Hi-Toe is the first TaylorMade I have ever played. I have had a lot of irons, Mizuno, Ping, Titleist, & Callaway.

My Callaway drivers:

War Bird
Great Big Bertha
Big Bertha Hawkeye
Razr Hawk Tour
Fusion
Rogue
Epic Flash

TaylorMade driver
Tour Edge FW
Titleist Hybrid
callaway irons
Ping wedges
Odyssey putter

None of these are pigeon holed into the bag. Perform and you can have a spot in my bag.

I'm not beholden to any particular brand, I just use what works best for me right now. Will it change, absolutely.

Before I found THP and became an educated consumer I would stick specific clubs in certain spots from certain oems because it’s what I knew

Now I play two brands

Every spot in my bag was open to any OEM before the Grandaddy. Callaway has earned the right to be my exclusive OEM for a while and I hope to keep it that way forever.

I used to have more, but the Tour Edge HL4 line of clubs works really well for me, so I am basically trying a whole bag of them right now, with a Cleveland Launcher HB 5w as the only non-TE club in the bag.

I even broke out my Tour Edge putter after missing too many short putts lately.

We'll see how the driver and 3w play this weekend. I went 1" short on the driver, and am excited to see if the launch monitor results are anywhere close to what happens on the course.

If I have any bias it's toward Srixon/Cleveland but my Srixon irons have only been in the bag for a few years. Other than putters and drivers I don't change things up much. My driving iron has been in my bag for 12 years, my fairway woods are 5+ years old, and I'm only on my 6th set of irons since 1980.

Currently all my woods are Callaway and all my irons are Srixon/Cleveland other than my Titleist 3 iron. Putters don't count as I buy at least 5 each year. I have 15+ brands of putters.

I'm now down to just a few brands in my bag; the actual number of separate brands has fluctuated between 5-6 down to one at different points. There's a combination of factors at play, from price to confidence with that brand to options available. These days I can say I'm agnostic, but I'm aware that's not really the case, there are definitely brands that have shown to be more inclined to make clubs that just fit my swing a little bit better, and maybe that's a little bit of chicken and egg thinking. Cobra and Project X have just gotten their proverbial foot in the door and now when I pick out those brands I can lean on the historical success I've had with them to feel like I'm going to continue to have success with them going forward. Same goes for Callaway wedges and Odyssey putters.

For me I have stuck with Ping exclusively for Irons and putters for many years. I have played Ping Irons for 21 years and have used PIng Putters for more than 25 years. I've been using the same Anser since 2006. My woods and wedges have varied as far as brands.

However, since I been involved here on THP. I find myself more willing to consider other brands than I currently use. I will probably get new irons in the next two years and I will not limit my choice to only Ping. Also, after reading the reviews and the feedback on the new Cleveland Frontline Putters, I may have to try one.

Brand agnostic. I just want what works best for me.

Cobra Driver
Callaway 5W
Callaway Hybrids
Ping irons
Cleveland, Callaway and Vokey wedges

So I guess I am a bit of a Callaway guy, but that is just because those happen to fit me best right now. Irons will be replaced this season.

Woods have been the only spot that in the past few years I'm fairly stuck on one brand. Callaway has had a stranglehold on it due to performance and preference.

Callaway woods, Mizuno irons and Cleveland wedges. Putter can change but usually Seemore.

Around this time last year I really made the mental switch to stop trying to fit certain brands certain places in the bag and instead to play what works it’s and foremost.

It’s been fun.

Ping driver, Cobra FW/hybrids/irons, Cleveland wedges, and Odyssey putter. It's what works for me.

I've had a Callaway or Odyssey/Toulon putter and Cleveland wedges in the bag for 20 years. I've tried others but always come back to those.

I leaned heavily to Titleist woods and irons. Now, it's Callaway for woods. I played Titleist irons for 25 years until I was fit into some Taylormades. I don't really have a preference or irons now but that could change soon (looking at you Ben Hogan Golf).

I do have strong biases for Footjoy gloves and Imperial caps.

Cleveland driver
Srixon FW
Hogan hybrid, 4-pw, gw, sw, lw
Taylormade putter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use Callaway woods, Ping irons, Titleist wedges, and Odessy putter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There’s not many reserved spots in my bag, but there are brands that get preference over everyone else just because.

Callaway gets preference throughout my bag for the foreseeable future, for obvious reasons.
Odyssey has always been my putter brand of choice.
Callaway has usually been my Driver/FW brand preference,
Hybrids have usually been pretty open
Irons I’ve leaned towards Cobra, Tour Edge, and Callaway
Wedges have been Cleveland and Callaway historically.

Ping Driver, hybrid and irons
Cobra 5-Wood
Titleist hybrid
Cleveland wedge
Callaway wedge

And a putter which will either be Piretti, Bettinardi, Scotty, Odyssey, Cleveland, or Kronos.

Historically there's really only been two spots that I've been pretty brand specific in just because they flat out work for me and it's Callaway in the fairway wood spot and Cleveland in the wedge spot. I've been playing Callaway fairway woods for ages going back to the Diablo. I've played Cleveland wedges since I was in high school with only a few breaks in between to try different brands out.

I’ve got one brand I’ll give first shot at my bag. If the numbers don’t work or I’m not comfortable with the gear, I’ll look elsewhere.

Luckily to date it’s worked. Because I love shiny and new, putters will be the likely place I look elsewhere.

Driver PING G25
3&5 wood Callaway
5&6 hybrid Taylor Made
Irons Callaway
Putter Callaway
Some how I drifted toward Callaway a few years ago. Been playing Titleist and Mizuno for awhile before the change.

Back