Do you give equipment too much credit or blame?

kb1042

#TeamCobra
Reaction score
Handicap
We already know it's the Indian and not the arrow. However, Something I have been thinking about is that I have a tendency to give equipment too much blame for bad shots or credit for good shots/ my performance.
I have noticed that I say Things like "I couldn't hit that club" or "I'm so much better since switching clubs".
I look back at a lot of the clubs I have tried and with it so directly tied to performance it is tough to get past my initial impressions of it.
Do you ever feel the same way? How have you worked through it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not enough credit. Sometimes, my irons make me look really good.

Never enough credit, always too much blame

I'm usually in the camp that bad swings caused a bad shot. We all know what a club can do when hit correctly.

I never give my equipment much blame or credit, unless I know i hit it poorly and it ends up fine. Thinned or out on the toe with the CF16s that ends up on the green, that ain't me, that's the club getting it there.

The only times I've blamed the club was when the epoxy holding the head to the shaft broke loose and the head rotated on contact. Big shank.

Haha it's the internet, it's ALWAYS the equipment.

I don't blame the equipment honestly. There has been equipment I don't think works for me, and if that's the case I don't use it. Ultimately it all comes down to how well I'm swinging, and which version of that swing wants to show up on a particular day. Yes, equipment is a means to an end, but it takes a good swing to make it happen IMO.

Neither, as long as my equipment is solid it will always be the Indian not the arrow!!

No, I wouldn't say I give equipment too much blame or credit. If something is helping me I will give it credit, and if it's not working for me it may get some blame...I don't think it's ever too much to either side though.

Both. No matter if it's good or bad, it's never me.

I definitely give too much credit when things are going good, but I don't think I blame my clubs too often. I'm perfectly willing to throw my lousy swing under the bus after the ol' block slice or chili dipper.

I don't think I give it enough credit most of the time. Usually it's after the round when I'm reflecting that I realize how awesome my clubs are.

I don't give them enough credit. I usually think it's the Indian and not the arrow, but when I'm firing on all cylinders my clubs are the difference

It's always the equipments fault, never mine. Ever.

Zero credit. Clubs are nice and they help to a point, but I've had my okole handed to me by people playing 15 yr old clubs.

I don't blame the equipment honestly. There has been equipment I don't think works for me, and if that's the case I don't use it. Ultimately it all comes down to how well I'm swinging, and which version of that swing wants to show up on a particular day. Yes, equipment is a means to an end, but it takes a good swing to make it happen IMO.

Well said! I do believe it's more Indian than arrow, but having the correct arrows for the Indian makes a big difference too.

Since the old cliche "It's the Indian, not the arrow" is thrown out a lot for golf. Lets look at that for a moment from an archery perspective. "It's the Indian, not the arrow" would seem to suggest that anyone that was any good with a bow should be able to pick any arrow and hit the bulls-eye. While a really talented archer would do better with any sort of arrow than less talented archer, they won't do their best with just any arrow. And less talented archers can frustrate themselves trying to adapt to poorly fitted arrows. There's such a thing as archers paradox, which means an arrow needs to have the right spine (or flex) to be able to bend around the riser of the bow and then straighten out. Too stiff and they will kick to the left, too weak and they will end up right (all else being equal). A person with a smoother release will need a softer spine arrow than will a person with a not so smooth release. A heavier tip will require a stiffer arrow, and so on. Modern compound bows, have mitigated the need for some of that, but still need quite a bit of fine tuning for the individual archer.

None of that correlates exactly to golf, but the idea is the same. Even us amateurs can do better with properly fitting equipment.

I know for myself that I have a very non-conventional, but very neutral, grip/swing. I don't do well with shafts that are too soft, or stiff. Or with clubs that are draw/fade biased. I would much rather find equipment that fits me, than to fit myself to the equipment.

Pick up a set of hickories and you'll appreciate how good equipment is today.
Watch a professional golfer pick up one of your clubs and hit a few shots and you'll realize how little you should be blaming your clubs for your play.

Neither. Even a horrible Indian can perform better with the right arrows.

I think the majority of the time golfers don't give having the right equipment enough thought and struggle because they are using something they shouldn't be (shaft, flex, weight, head, whatever). So I think golfers should give equipment more attention which would lead to them getting more credit.

I don't blame my clubs but I do say I need something more forgiving.

I don't blame equipment for good or bad shots. I drag my 1980 irons out a couple times a year and don't score any different with them than my current irons. That's proof enough for me.

I don't blame the equipment, but there is equipment that works better for me than other equipment. The stuff in my bag works for me if I perform correctly.

Sent from the magic know everything box in my pocket

Back