Do you golf on Thanksgiving?

OITW

Reaction score
Received a note from course that they will be doing a shotgun start on Thanksgiving.

Not going to participate, but has me wondering how many THPers golf on Thanksgiving.

In a normal year my wife and I run in a 5k so I can’t remember the last time I golfed on Thanksgiving.

Tell me about your Thanksgiving golf plans THP.

I may this year since there is no turkey day run.

No golf on Turkey day. Thanksgiving is a running day. Since the 1980s, when not injured, I have participated in a Turkey Trot 10k or 5k. I will be going out for a solo run on Thursday morning.

I will probably continue my almost daily routine when not playing, and go hit a few practice balls.

Dinner is usually around 3pm. We usually show up a couple of hours early, as my wife wants to help with food preparations. Problem is, by arriving early, I tend to snack too much before dinner, which ruins mt appetite for the main meal.

My golfing Granddaughter just earned her driver's permit. She can drive us to the course.

50/50 golf or 5k “turkey trot”. This year my Dad and I will be playing nine+ in the morning. It’s too cold for my Mom to play and nobody else is coming to thanksgiving this year.

That IS the million dollar question. I have a chance to sneak in a quick round between get togethers, I think, but I'm still weighing the potential consequences. It'd be easier in a normal year where she could be taking part in clubhouse activities while I'm out there.

7:30 tee time is booked!

I try to avoid the crowds on holidays if I can. However, will do early tee time or late to get some golf in!

High temps in the low 40’s will keep me off the golf course holiday or not. Due to Covid, not chancing any family gatherings, we are all staying home.

In years past, my home course always had a tournament in the morning, which I always played in when in town, and then closed the course about 2 pm. No tournament this year so course will probably be closed all day.

I'm new to the game this year, so I can't say for sure, but, being as Thursday's supposed to be the best weather of the coming week: I'm pondering it.

I have a tee time for a shotgun start. Just have to see as I’ve been battling a migraine the past 2 days. If I can shake it by tomorrow and get half way healthy I’ll play.

I don't think I ever have. I've run a lot of turkey trots, but lately I usually volunteer to get most of the meal prep started as my wife (and any daughters visiting) run the races. Years ago when stationed in OH, me and a couple buddies always did an early morning pheasant hunt. Our families would then dine together and pheasant cooked numerous ways augmented the traditional turkey dinner. So good.

Probably this year I will if the weather is decent. Wife is on call and with COVID my family Turkey Day trip/plans got cancelled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely not. Day after if it’s feasible yes. There’s only a few days in the year that should be kept sacred for family time and family time only.

Usually not. But sincecits just me and the wife this year, if the weather is good I may try and get out

Never on Thanksgiving. Always the day after. For 20+ years we've found somewhere to play. Sometimes really cold. Once 9 holes in the spitting rain. Once we met at a course said, nope... and went to the neighboring BW's and played Golden Tee...

I’m playing the week of! Got a family/friends round planed for Friday, but I do most of the cooking on Thursday so it’s really reserved for cooking, eating, drinking, and watching football!

Never have. Most years we spend this day with family. This year my wife gets off just Thanksgiving Day. So we'll lay low, so she can recharge. (She does play, so a future year with the two of us out there is possible.)

I have before. If the weather is nice, I'm in. But in this area of the country... That's definitely hit or miss.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I used to every year before the kids. Actually enjoyed it

If I didn't have the surgery last week, you bet your ass I'd be out there. But I will most likely spend the day being waited on while I ice my leg.

Back