Do you have a back up gamer ball? If so, what is it?

Just_Hacking

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
This is more geared towards those mid-cap to high-cap that have a swing that comes and goes like the postman.

Do you have a secondary ball to play when your swing is off and you don't want to lose a $4.00 golf ball? I play the Tour B RXS, but on those days where I am even more all over the course than usual I like to have a ball that if I lose it is less painful than losing an Tour B. I still want to play a good ball so I may put into play the e12, the Srixon Soft Feel or something along those lines until I correct the swing issue. I know I should stick with the same ball, but I after losing a couple I just can't stomach letting the trend continue so out comes the back up ball. I will say I am on a run where I have played 35 holes with the same ball and I had another before that where I went over 80 holes without losing one before losing 3 in a 6 hole stretch.

So, do you have a back up to your gamer ball or do you just stay with the gamer? If you have a backup what is it and what is your gamer?

This season I've shifted to the Q-Star Tour, so it's going to be my primary and secondary. I think in previous years I had the same thought as you, primary first... swing go bye bye... grab a cheaper ball. In the long run I'm pretty sure its hurting me because theres such a huge difference in performance between the B RXS that I was playing and the Q-Star that was my secondary. So meeting in the middle, the Q-Star Tour is going into play this season, at it's price point I personally feel as though with my game I'm getting the best of both worlds and not having to have the mental battle of primary vs secondary ball in play.

I like my chrome soft for those good swing rounds, but if it's not going well I'll play the Kirkland stock I have, or maybe even slazengers :sick:

Srixon Tri-speed stock - also have a stockpile of "practice" stamped balls...gamer RX and Q star Tour

No I just buy used balls off lostgolfballs.com 😂

My main gamer is/was Bridgestone e6. I like that it helped tame my slice. If I don't want to lose those, I'll break out the Wilson Staff Duo Soft or whatever they are and play them.

If I'm going over water, it'll be a ball I found or a shag ball in case it gets dunked.

I'll either move to the Bridgestone e12 or do the swing fit and get the Bridgestone recommendation to be my gamer ball.

Water ball is a precept or now an e6.
Gamer is a Q-Star tour or AVX (as of super recently)

Had a dozen Titleist Pro V’s seem to get along with them. May get another dozen for stock

I game a Srixon Z-Star, but if my game is off and we have a difficult hole with a good chance for a lost ball, I'll just grab from the many found balls I have stashed in my bag. Nothing specific, just whatever someone was playing before me!

When I run out of Chrome Soft X, I'll play Tour B XS while I hunt for a deal.
Snell is making a huge play to be the backup/winter ball though.

I rarely use the $4 balls, gamers are either Q-Star Tour or E12 Soft, but I have a shelf full of various balls that go into play on occasion when the game is exceptionally rough. Last week I was hitting the Kirkland 3-piece, still have a couple dozen of those, along with some discontinued stuff (NXT Tour, old E5 and E6, etc).

soft feel or e6 soft...or whatever I've found along the course

My gamer is the Callaway Supersoft, so I don't feel too bad when I occasionally drown one or send it off into the bushes. I've hit a lot of the more expensive balls, but haven't found one yet that makes enough of a difference in my game for me to justify the additional cost.

My back up is my own used Prov1x from prior rounds.

My gamer ball is a brand new ProV1x
Nice! I do the same or similar. I always have multiple brands of your balls (Bridgestone Tour BX, TM TP5X, Prov1x, etc) and my bad round balls are just the used one from my bag.

Im not going to change to a diff ball, since it will perform too differently, especially around the greens, where I will need the most help and spin with a urethane ball (to have a chance at a decent score for the round, since I would be scrambling more than usual)

It was the Snell MTB-X. I was forced to change whilst they were out of stock. Used a supply of Vice Pro Plus balls that I had. They seem to outperform the Snells and are going to be my gamer this year. Love em.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Normally game the Tour B RX, during winter/early spring or a really bad round, I'll go with e6 or e12, or just use random balls that I've found previously from the kids' stash pile I've started for when they want to learn to play.

Last year I mostly played Srixon Z-Star(sometimes XV) and OnCore Elixr. So I guess either could be my backup ball if need be. I'm looking forward to trying the new Bridgestone balls this year to see if they make it back in the bag, but boy did I enjoy the crap out of the Z-Star line.

Titleist Velocity. If I'm playing any outings where alcohol might be flowing a bit more than usual and I don't want to lose some of my "better" balls - I'll play Velocity. Mostly because I see increased distance with it, even if it lacks around the greens.

I have been using Q-Star's for a little bit. Got some of the newer ones to try from a contest and will see if I can determine any differences. When I am on a water hole, more times than not I am using any balls that I have found.

I honestly will go to Wally World and get one of the double dozen Wilson Zip packs for $15-20 depending on current sale. I find they are actually a pretty good ball especially for that price and use them when things are just not jiving for me.

Yes, I will switch between Truvis Chrome soft and a 2 piece ball. I will usually play the 2 piece ball early in the year and days when my swing isn't working properly.
Usually either the Maxfli Softfli or Wilson 50 elite which is a pretty good ball.

I don't even have a gamer ball, so I definitely don't have a back up to my gamer ball haha

Nope. It's either the ProV1 or now the new AVX as my gamer. Rarely do I change balls unless it's winter time & it's not going to matter what ball I play when the greens are hard as a brick. So then I just pick out whatever ball I happen to grab out of the bag. Which usually is one of those anyway :rolleyes: So no .... I don't have a backup ;)

I use a variety of balls to test hoping to find a clear winner. So far my favorite is Chrome Soft, so I'll consider that my gamer.

But, if I'm trying to cut the corner over the woods or good there's a chance of a water ball I'll pull out either a Pinnacle Soft or an old Titleist NXT Tour.

Back