Do you have a controversial golf take?

Controversial take? Yep, I've got one but I doubt it would be popular here so I'll say shorts for the pros!

Eliminate dress codes on courses open to the public. ... especially now that people have put on their Covid weight. Sometimes they only have one or two pairs of pants that fit.

1. Limit the number of clubs permitted in your bag.

2. Public course: don’t care what you’re wearing so long as you’re acting respectfully.

1. No carts
2. In order to get a GHIN you have to take a skills test. How to rake a bunker, fill a divot, repair ball mark, basic rules, etc.

I was on a business trip in Europe a little less than 2 years ago and we ended up in Zurich over a weekend. I was there with 2 of my closest golf buddies so we ended up playing 18. What I quickly noticed just by TRYING to find a Saturday morning tee time was that pretty much all the courses were private clubs, and they all required something called a platzreife ("certificate of proficiency") which is an official document saying you know the basics of golf. It requires a test to obtain. Most places also required membership in the Swiss Golf Association. And they all required you to provide evidence that you had at least a minimum handicap (mostly mid-20s). Our hotel concierge was able to help out a little and got us around the platzreife and Swiss Golf Association requirements, but we all had to pull up our handicaps on our phones before they would let us play. At the time I kept thinking how golf in the US is going out of its way to be more accommodating and less intimidating to help bring in new players, and this was WAY the other direction. But there are certain days of the week when courses are super crowded that I think requirements like this might make a little sense. Maybe not quite that onerous, but at least some basics and points of etiquette.

Last edited:
Ban ball retrievers! I put it there, leave it there! 😎

Everyone that steps onto a course to play has to have passed a one time written & skills test before being allowed to play.

All the OB, drop radius, stroke & distance rules should be abandoned and one rule implemented: everything is a lateral hazard. Place a ball (yes, bend down and give yourself a nice lie) within 2 club lengths of where you went in, and add a stroke. If there is a question, a playing partner will spot your placement.

Pay per pace of play. Your base green fees are based on 4:00 pace of play, if your behind pace is an extra 5$/10 minutes
I'll see your fine and raise you a timed shock collar for all players. Over 10 minutes (or whatever) shock collar starts on a low setting, as time increases, so does voltage.

More cigars on the course!

sorry guys. 😂😂🤣🤣
No issues with the cigar, don't ash that bit%^ on the green though. Never understand why guys do that.

Does a lob wedge qualify as a ball retriever? Asking for a friend.
I'm talking about the old Duff's that go out and walk every inch of shoreline and fish for a half hour in the middle of a busy course. We have some of those up here.😠

I'll see your fine and raise you a timed shock collar for all players. Over 10 minutes (or whatever) shock collar starts on a low setting, as time increases, so does voltage.

Free drops from divots, no closer to the hole. Lost ball and OB treated like lateral hazards - drop and one stroke. Free drop from footprints in bunkers - not your fault some asshat in front of you didn't do what they were supposed to do. If not in tournament play, pick up when you hit your ESC - you're done for that hole.

If you fall a full two holes behind the group in front of you, the first time is a warning and you have to pick up and move to the next hole. The second time, you're booted off the course.

Ban all tobacco products on the course.

hmmm cant agree with that one haha. I enjoy an occasional cigar and almost always have a dip in. just hate that there are people who ruin it by ashing or spitting wherever they please.

Controversial take? Yep, I've got one but I doubt it would be popular here so I'll say shorts for the pros!

oh cmon!!! lets hear it :devilish:

Apply handicap ranges to tee boxes.

noppe!!!!! haha sorry friend. I want to play the same tees as you :)

Don't toss your club across the green, where it hits the green & leaves a mark.

I put the club head on the ground and do the ole club push/slide away from me haha.

do it right and looks awesome as it glides standing up across the green. Do it wrong, it flops down in front of you and you still have to pick it up and walk it haha

Back