Do you have a controversial golf take?

I haven't read through the post but yes, i feel i may have controversial views. In no particular order ( numbered just to separate them)

1. Pros should wear shorts

2. the fairways and greens shouldn't be mowed so tight

3. I should be allowed to/not scorned if I don't tuck my shirt in. (obviously it's not knee length and hanging out)

4. Talking should not be prohibited or looked down upon as someone is hitting. I can understand about a sudden noise or loud shout but just casual conversation? Get over yourself if you think you missed your shot because I was talking in conversational level.

5. Hat off and handshake after a round shouldn't be made to feel necessary. Nothing wrong with a fist bump or a friendly wave and kind remark. ("But it's about respect"...again, get over yourself. You just played a round of golf, not visited Arlington National Cemetary).

6. Bring back metal spikes (don't start complaining how they will mess up greens, it was fine for 100 years. Mow the greens to a millionth of an inch to its death and everything will showup. That just goes back to length of fairways and greens. You think the pros of the 50's and 60's were putting on billiard tables like they do today?

7. As a non smoker, i'd be perfectly fine with no smoking on the course. Most people are responsible but it only takes a few to make a mess

8. Mandatory that once you putt you hole it out before next person hits. (and picking your ball up to mark itevry putt after the first one) Someone walks in your line...get over it. Just like those bozos in Jaws who thought they caught the shark that killed that poor little Kitner boy, the odds that someone walking across your putt line and messing up your putt are a hundred to one Martin, a hundred to one). Exception can be made on water logged greens.

9. Bunkers are called a hazard for a reason. Let's go back to making them a hazard by tossing out the rake and deal with the lie you're given. If you insist on having them perfectly manicured then make all green side bunkers deep pot bunkers.

I'm sure there are others but I need too go kick the neighbors kids off my lawn.

Last edited:
Pay per pace of play. Your base green fees are based on 4:00 pace of play, if your behind pace is an extra 5$/10 minutes
I like this a lot.

I like this a lot.
What about everybody behind them? Do they pay extra too? This will just make the arseholes even angrier.

Here’s a controversial take: don’t try to squeeze in 18 if you don’t have an hour extra to kill afterwards. Play 9 if you absolutely, positively can’t afford to be done in more than 4 hours. Leisurely golf isn’t the problem, players who are rushing everyone else through the course so they can finish “on time” are.

Last edited:
I like this a lot.
I like it unless I get stuck behind slow groups that cost me extra money because they can't play at an adequate pace. Then it ain't funny anymore.

All the OB, drop radius, stroke & distance rules should be abandoned and one rule implemented: everything is a lateral hazard. Place a ball (yes, bend down and give yourself a nice lie) within 2 club lengths of where you went in, and add a stroke. If there is a question, a playing partner will spot your placement.
doesnt work for the groups behind.....

Ive had many controversial golf takes in my history on THP.

I wasn't trying to be cryptic or mysterious... I'm not sure how this would go over here but I think professional players should pick a single tour and play on it... European or PGA. Not both. Just those two though... the rest are feeders for the European and PGA tours as far as I understand.

I wasn't trying to be cryptic or mysterious... I'm not sure how this would go over here but I think professional players should pick a single tour and play on it... European or PGA. Not both. Just those two though... the rest are feeders for the European and PGA tours as far as I understand.

I could see that. Honestly, I was hoping for something much more juicy. haha.

I like it unless I get stuck behind slow groups that cost me extra money because they can't play at an adequate pace. Then it ain't funny anymore.
Yeah, that part would be hard. Not sure how you work it out for the groups behind. But it is the beginning of an idea.

Ban walking

One rule change for amateurs: Fairway (only) is always pick, clean, and place. Never have to worry about a divot or mud. If you hit the fairway, you should not be punished.

One culture change: Every new player to a course is required to take a 5-10 min orientation on rules, local rules, pace of play, etiquette, etc. We do this for things like backcountry campsites in National Parks.

Last edited:
golf courses should be subsidized by the tours. lower the costs for amateurs and pump money into clinics and junior programs.

if you take the subsidy, your course should be required to offer junior tee times at least 2 days a week. no adult unaccompanied by a child under age 16 is allowed to play during those times.

and they should have reverse handicap times. present a handicap card, and if your cap is under 16 you can’t play during certain blocks. let the higher caps have fun without being pressured by better golfers.

and big oems should subsidize more fitting centers. pump money into nicer facilities with real grass and short game areas, and a standardized fitting system. let the best oem win in fittings.

there’s a lot of unnecessary bloat in the budgets of big companies that can be put to better use in the hands of average golfers.

1. Finishing in 3:30 should be the standard time for a foursome on most courses.
2. Dress codes should be limited to wear shorts/pants, and wear a shirt.
3. Handicapped tournaments are dumb.

I could see that. Honestly, I was hoping for something much more juicy. haha.
I'm sorry it's not juicier... I can make it more controversial... a pro player must live on the continent that their chosen tour predominantly plays... if you play in the PGA tour, you live in the USA. If you play in the European tour, you live in Europe.

1. Finishing in 3:30 should be the standard time for a foursome on most courses.
2. Dress codes should be limited to wear shorts/pants, and wear a shirt.
3. Handicapped tournaments are dumb.
Is that a shirt or a shirt of some sort?:D

Fivesomes should be a regular thing. Sorry if you only have 3 friends

Here's one: Not everybody has the innate talent/ability to become a good golfer (with "good" being defined as low single-digit or better).

Turns out I've got a few lol.

#2) No more 2-seater power carts. Single rider carts, or none at all. I'd like to thank Covid-19 for this clarity.

#3) Eliminate "The Turn". Why the helllll do we need to add a customary 10-15 minute break after 9 holes so Ted & Larry can shove 3 hot dogs down their gullet? Eat before, eat after - I don't care. The golf course ain't the dinner table.

No carts
Charge by the hour, incentivize the slow groups

Turns out I've got a few lol.

#2) No more 2-seater power carts. Single rider carts, or none at all. I'd like to thank Covid-19 for this clarity.

#3) Eliminate "The Turn". Why the helllll do we need to add a customary 10-15 minute break after 9 holes so Ted & Larry can shove 3 hot dogs down their gullet? Eat before, eat after - I don't care. The golf course ain't the dinner table.
I agree with #3, it always amazes me people can’t go 4 hours without eating.

Back