Do you have a controversial golf take?

strange to me to see some of you guys put ban riders. here in dallas no body walks. i would say maybe 5%. most days i can go a full round and not see a single walker.

well, if riders are banned, there'll be more walkers?

How so? I'm not following.
That was a misquote, meant for the rate per time. Groups stuck behind would be negativity impacted. Not sure why it was tied to your post. Sorry about that

I much prefer walking, but I have no idea how you guys down south can play without a cart. I golfed a bit in Mexico last summer (with a cart) and went through at least 4L of water a round. Then again, maybe I'm just not acclimatized to hot weather living in a frozen wasteland.

That and cigarette butts. I'm a smoker but also a former assistant superintendent. Nothing pisses me off more than cigarette butts on a course or sunflower seeds on a green (other than unrepaired ball marks).

You 'll find 10 cigarette butts in my pocket before you'll ever see me throw one down on a golf course.

My playing partner is a former asst superintendent, and he says the same thing about sunflower seeds. I chew them every now and then when playing, and he watches me like a hawk to make sure I don’t spit them on greens (which I never do).

My playing partner is a former asst superintendent, and he says the same thing about sunflower seeds. I chew them every now and then when playing, and he watches me like a hawk to make sure I don’t spit them on greens (which I never do).
I can't see how anybody who isn't a completely self-centered prick thinks it's okay to spit sunflower seeds on a green. I don't ash my cigars on greens either - in fact, I usually leave them in the cart when I go to the green.

Banning cigars, cigarettes, and sun flower seeds on golf courses would be a good start. I sometimes grow tired of picking up other's trash when playing.

On another note, I'd like to see the 14 club rule changed to 15, or 16. No particular reason other than I usually have a couple of loose clubs laying around.

I walk during the summer in Phoenix. Now there are some courses that it is impossible to walk because you have to go through 4 city blocks to get to the next tee. If walking was the norm then course design would change.
Walking during the summer in Phoenix is hardcore, hats off to you my man! I sweat like a pig, and even after 18 holes in a cart during the summer I look like I'm in a wet t-shirt contest and have drank about a gallon of water.

I agree about course design - if more courses were designed for walking, more people would probably walk. Except in the summer in Phoenix! :ROFLMAO:

I think walking should be the norm for everyone unless you are handicapped and have a sticker in your car. Game was made to be walked and max group size is 4. Most of golf in the UK still plays by this standard.
Is exactly how it is in the UK, really the only people in carts have a blue flag (medical exemption from walking). Having said that, the courses over here tend not to be especially spread out with only short walks from green to tee, and of course the weather is never searing hot!

Johnny Miller was underrated as an announcer.

It is ludicrous to start talking about somebody being the next Tiger because they are young, hit the ball far and have a little hot streak.

We are in the golden age of course design.

#1 All pros shall carry their own bag!
#2 People who yell stupid **** on TV @ tournaments get a lifetime ban

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

These are all against actual recent rulings:
- allow posting scores played as a single
- allow anchoring for putting (I never did it, but will now try it if allowed)
- drops from shoulder height, or anything other than knee height - so awkward

Top 100 courses - while cool to look at - do not necessarily offer a better golfing experience.

Name brand iron head designs are overrated and do not necessarily provide longer and straighter shots.

Because I get tired of waiting on walkers. And before that argument starts, in my area most courses here have distance from green to tee so walking is in fact slower here. Plus the gym is for exercise, golf is for social enjoyment.
just my takes

Because I get tired of waiting on walkers. And before that argument starts, in my area most courses here have distance from green to tee so walking is in fact slower here. Plus the gym is for exercise, golf is for social enjoyment.
just my takes
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

;)

There’s no such thing as a “jumper” in irons anymore. You simply actually found the sweet spot for once (which is likely the root cause but ego won’t allow us to accept that), or had grass between the face and ball.

Eliminate par. It's archaic and only good for making bad golfers play slower. Add up your strokes at the end, lowest wins.

- The stroke and distance penalty for out-of-bounds is ridiculous and illogical with the stroke-only penalty for Penalty Areas. It should only be a stroke or a distance penalty, not both.
- Distance gains on Tour over the last 30 years have been almost entirely due to equipment advances.
- Golf magazines and other rankings tend to overrate the older, historical and exclusive courses.
- Many Donald Ross courses are overrated and Jack Nicklaus courses are underrated.
- The Players Championship should be a major instead of the PGA Championship.
- Depth of field is not relevant past the top 60 or so players.
- Only single-digit handicaps should be allowed to play from the back tees.
- Most people hit their driver shorter distances than they think.
- Most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference among different golf ball brands in a blind test.

Last edited:
Back