Do you have a controversial golf take?

Under the new "local rule" you get to drop in the fairway, not two club lengths in from the out of bounds stakes, or two club lengths from where you think it might have ended up - whether that's still in the woods or in the rough. Instead of making the walk of shame, rehitting and taking a stroke and distance penalty, the local rule assumes you hit a provisional ball and it landed in the fairway. You get a near perfect lie. I don't think this is draconian at all.
Near perfect lie unless your ball landed in a divot in the fairway.:D

I'm always surprised that walk vs riding is such a contentious issuer here at THP.
You think that's bad? Try iron covers or jacked lofts. :ROFLMAO:

If you haven’t listened to the latest episode of Off Course there are quite a bit of these discussed

You. Don’t. Hit. The. Ball. As. Far. As. You. Think.

I have a few non-standard THP takes, I think...

Slow play doesn't bother me. I'm outdoors, often with friends, participating in my favorite activity - why be impatient? It's not a race. Personally I will keep it moving and will try not to hold up play out of consideration for others, but I don't mind having to wait on a tee box. It's not a huge deal.

I'd much rather have a beer with you in the clubhouse than on the course.

I've got zero interest in the latest/greatest equipment. I'll use what I have until it breaks, fix it until it can't be fixed anymore, THEN look for a replacement if absolutely necessary. This hobby is too expensive for me to be flipping thru gear all the time... I'll spend my time and $ practicing instead.

If you haven’t listened to the latest episode of Off Course there are quite a bit of these discussed
I’m pumped to listen to this one on my drive this morning!

Under the new "local rule" you get to drop in the fairway, not two club lengths in from the out of bounds stakes, or two club lengths from where you think it might have ended up - whether that's still in the woods or in the rough. Instead of making the walk of shame, rehitting and taking a stroke and distance penalty, the local rule assumes you hit a provisional ball and it landed in the fairway. You get a near perfect lie. I don't think this is draconian at all.
I was making a joke about it being 2 strokes. I actually love the idea.

Although, I, personally, wouldn't hit the provisional, I'd just go to the drop in the fairway step.

Per 2019 USGA "Local Rule" all Lost Balls can be dropped one club length in the fairway no closer to the hole at point of entry to the area where you are virtually certain that the ball was lost with a 2 stroke penalty. Also applies to balls OB. Ball is dropped from knee height. I clear this with the random foursome that "we're playing with official USGA 2019 local rules, right?"

Also another little known 2019 official rule is that you can drop out of a bunker in line with the flag for a 2 stroke penalty. If you really suck at bunker play sometimes it's the best option. I witnessed a situation in my last round where my playing partner would have benefited.
@Hamfist suggestion is better. There is no good reason to impose two penalties on one bad swing, except for lost balls that did not go OB or in a penalty area.

There are some people that can't play golf unless they're able to ride... health conditions and such. Some are members here... I feel for him because he's not able to play when his state course opened up but were walking only.

And if you can't, you should ride, that's why there's carts & flags. But absent a health condition, and not a made up one from a pill/weed dispensary, give walking a try.
I play with a 76 year old dude that stopped carrying 2 years ago, now has an electric push cart, that rides the day he has chemo but walks every other round. I'm sure a 30 year old could manage it.

And if you can't, you should ride, that's why there's carts & flags. But absent a health condition, and not a made up one from a pill/weed dispensary, give walking a try.
I play with a 76 year old dude that stopped carrying 2 years ago, now has an electric push cart, that rides the day he has chemo but walks every other round. I'm sure a 30 year old could manage it.

Couple weeks back I walked with a 75 y/o at our club. He did great with his 1970's era pull cart while the 30-ish guys moaned and complained.

Walking makes ye old joints ache. I will do it for nine regularly, but 18 gets pretty creaky around #12.

Most greens are too big.

My controversial take is that Tiger Woods and Harold Varner III put out lame ass statements on the current crisis and resulting protests. Clearly trying to protect their brand. Shameful.

You. Don’t. Hit. The. Ball. As. Far. As. You. Think.
I use this mantra on the course before shots, choosing clubs, and searching for balls. Hahahaha

My controversial take is that Tiger Woods and Harold Varner III put out lame ass statements on the current crisis and resulting protests. Clearly trying to protect their brand. Shameful.

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but I'm totally good playing without a glove if grips aren't threadbare and it's not raining.

In some ways - I feel like it may help me at the moment of transition. I sometimes grip too tightly with the left hand as I start my downswing and no glove heightens my awareness of that tendency.

Designate tees based on distance not gender.
Black=280+
Blue=250-280
White=225-250
Gold=200-225

One of the biggest problems with slow golf is people who want to play back. More shots to green = more time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unless you are playing a perfect course, winter rules should be in effect.

For pros: Narrow the course. Significantly. Throw a ton of bunkers in. Longer rough. Make them have to show more skill than just bombing drives.

No sunflower seeds. How many times do i have to sweep away seeds on a putting green

Back